A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Accidents resulting from medical issues

Old September 15th 18, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW
external usenet poster

Default Accidents resulting from medical issues

Yes, the denialist go against the vast evidence and science that makes it
clearly beyond reasonable doubtto a thinking person that human induced CO2
is causing rapid unnatural climate change, to argue otherwise is only a
result of following deluded political propaganda. As such, I have no
respect for the intellect of the dumb as bowling ball denialist trash.

Mercy! The above vitriol has *what* to do with soaring? (Well, other than for
half a century now our, unmentioned-above, sailplanes have been made almost
entirely from - gasp! - plastic and Petroleum-derived materials...)

Regarding specifically the "dumb as a bowling ball" sputum, if the writer's
thermalling etiquette doesn't seriously exceed his lack of interactional
civility, there's no way *this* bowling ball will be voluntarily/knowingly
sharing a thermal with him.

Bob - unconvinced all anthropormorphic change is definitionally bad - W.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

Old September 15th 18, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Both Bob and Mike must be dumb as bowling balls for not agreeing
wholeheartedly with CQ AKA Mike Standish (according to his return
address). [sarcasm off]Â* As Buggs Bunny once famously said, "What a maroon!"

On 9/15/2018 7:49 AM, BobW wrote:
Yes, the denialist go against the vast evidence and science that
makes it
clearly beyond reasonable doubtto a thinking person that human
induced CO2 is causing rapid unnatural climate change, to argue
otherwise is only a
result of following deluded political propaganda. As such, I have no
respect for the intellect of the dumb as bowling ball denialist trash.

Mercy! The above vitriol has *what* to do with soaring? (Well, other
than for half a century now our, unmentioned-above, sailplanes have
been made almost entirely from - gasp! - plastic and Petroleum-derived
materials...)

Regarding specifically the "dumb as a bowling ball" sputum, if the
writer's thermalling etiquette doesn't seriously exceed his lack of
interactional civility, there's no way *this* bowling ball will be
voluntarily/knowingly sharing a thermal with him.

Bob - unconvinced all anthropormorphic change is definitionally bad - W.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 15th 18, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting
external usenet poster

So....we agree then the answer is yes. Tighter than jack rabbit a....

R
Old September 15th 18, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 2:23:50 AM UTC-7, Mike the Strike wrote:
Despite the thread drift from my original post, I will weigh in on the climate change comments.

Hey Mike,

It may not be thread drift. I think angry pilot may in fact be a medical issue. Also, since a glider pilot license doesn't require a medical, it may explain a higher incidence of the condition among glider pilots.

The condition may additionally be age, gender and ethnicity related, and therefore linked to both grumpy old man disease and angry white male disease, but further studies need to be performed.

My main question is: Does spewing vitriolic personal insults make the condition better or worse? I'm betting on the latter.

Andy

Old September 15th 18, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

This has been a test of the Soaring Promotional Marketing System. This was only a test. If this had been an actual attempt to promote Soaring to the general public, you would all be told where to go and what to do.
Old September 15th 18, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Yes, bugs would say maroon...... real live peeps may say moron.
Is moreon better than more off?
LOL......

Way too many factors.
Self evaulate sorta at odds end. Of course we are the best and healthy!
Maybe listen to others, "Dude, really, hang it the frig up!".

I am a, "flew a few thousand hours, many types, ex CFIG, many off airport landings with no real damage, WTF you saying I am not safe!!!!"
I hope I still Frikkin listen!

I remember watching a Dr in a -24 roll off the south end of HHSC quite a long time ago. Dude, a ASW had great brakes, period.
He was self insured since he had broken too much stuff. Basically, many peeps said, find something else to do!
Insurance basically said, what is ship value? You pay that premium every year since we believe you will trash it!

Not sure if he still flies.

Yes, even a great medical exam for a commercial aircarrier may not mean your health is good.
You could get a great checkup and die on the way to your car.
Old September 16th 18, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 8:36:44 PM UTC-5, wrote:
After surviving the early (1970's) years of hang gliding, and continuing for a total of nearly thirty years and around 2,500-3,000 hours of flexible wing soaring flight, getting into sailplanes seemed like a major relief. It is incredibly easy to fly a relatively modern sailplane compared to a hang glider in Southwestern US thermal conditions. This is primarily because of the effortless three-axis control through the stick and rudder and the fact that landings are usually done on wheels. (I say "usually" because I doinked it last year.)

Compared to sailplanes, hang gliders have a very narrow operating envelope when it comes to wind speeds on launch and landing. Turbulent conditions and the instability of the air are also more demanding. A moderately rough day in a sailplane might make you hold the joystick with three fingers instead of two and, once in a while, you might lose track of your drinking tube.. The same day in a hang glider will probably require every ounce of your strength to keep yourself centered in a nasty thermal core. I appreciate the fact that launch and landing speeds in a sailplane are higher and therefore more potentially dangerous, but the amount of control and the tripled or quadrupled glide ratio allows more range when selecting potential outlanding sites.

I transitioned to sailplanes, reluctantly giving up hang gliding. I still miss it terribly, as the experiences I treasure are rarely matched by flying sailplanes. Don't get me wrong- I enjoy sailplanes tremendously, but compared to the violent, visceral, physically challenging (and risky) experiences hang gliding served up, sailplanes are well, kinda ho-hum . Unfortunately, I just don't "bounce" like I used to. I hope to get another 20+ years of flying sailplanes (I am 65), but I will quit when I either tell myself I can't maintain competency or some good friend honestly informs me it is time to hang it up.

Old September 16th 18, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]
external usenet poster

You guys aren't the first I've heard lament at giving up hang gliding. The guy I bought my last glider from said he missed it very much too. It's understandable why the transition, given the greater physical challenge in hang gliding. Never having tried it myself, I regret it. Curious, though, has hang gliding suffered depleting ranks like GA and glider soaring? Know of any flying sports that are better off in this regard than "ours"? Thanks.
Old September 17th 18, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 2:13:47 PM UTC-5, Duster wrote:
You guys aren't the first I've heard lament at giving up hang gliding. The guy I bought my last glider from said he missed it very much too. It's understandable why the transition, given the greater physical challenge in hang gliding. Never having tried it myself, I regret it. Curious, though, has hang gliding suffered depleting ranks like GA and glider soaring? Know of any flying sports that are better off in this regard than "ours"? Thanks.

Powered paragliding in IL, In, Mi, and Wi has been growing smartly of late, with a mix of newcomers aged roughly 14 to about 55.
Old September 17th 18, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I flew Hang Gliders for 38 years before I took up sailplanes. I do miss the adventure and physicality of it. It’s weight shift and you are connected to the air is a way that a canopied sailplane doesn’t offer. But like everything the atitude of newer pilots was about convienence over performance and it got watered down with paragliding. Instead of showing up at the hill ready to duel for distance it turned into more of a community fly in. I flew in the east where you needed to climb up some mountain trails to get to launch. Eventually that took its toll as many of us get older. I love flying my Ventus and being part of a soaring club today but I would be amiss if I didn’t;t admit that i sometime pine for those Glory days....apologies to Bruce -

DC