Phantom-II development story

Old August 27th 04, 02:08 PM
Pechs1

John- About 60% of my 4800 hours were in twin-engine aircraft. Had 7 engine
failures that required SE landings (No CV, but maybe somebody was telling me
the same thing). The remainder, F-8's and A-4's, not a hiccup from the
motor. BRBR

About 1000 hours in SE A/C, F-16N and 'T', A-4E,F, F+, M. Never lost an engine
but DID have two J52-6(both A-4E) engines come unglued when I was CO. One guy
made it(my XO) and one didn't(Bug Roach).

E model seat problem made me ground all my 'E' models.

Lost an engine twice in a F-4, in the 'break' at Cubi, and A/B blowout off the
cat...never had any other problems in the F-4 or Turkey.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old August 27th 04, 02:19 PM
Tony Volk

Does anyone know if this story is true? Is there currently a strong
preference for two engines (e.g., comparing the F-18E to the JSF).

Cheers,

Thanks for the great answers everyone. I thought the story was urban
legend quality based on the fact that wives would care so much about the
details of their husbands jobs. I could easily see the pilots wax
poetically about their mounts, but would have a hard time seeing the wives
listening attentively to details. Let's hope the rest of the book sticks
more to facts. If not, at least there's some great pictures in the book!
Cheers,

Tony

Old August 27th 04, 02:27 PM
Tony Volk

Lost an engine twice in a F-4, in the 'break' at Cubi, and A/B blowout off
the
cat...never had any other problems in the F-4 or Turkey.

You never had any problems in the Turkey? Did you fly the -B or -D,
because I thought the TF30s regularly suffered from compressor stalls and
turbine blade failures (especially early on before it was modified). -A
pilots I've spoken to talked about having the fly the engine just as much as
having to fly the plane. So I would've thought that it'd make a great
posterboy for the 2-engine argument, or were they exagerrating? Thanks,

Tony

Old August 27th 04, 03:28 PM
Elmshoot

Three SE traps? Somebody was trying to tell you to change careers.

I thought it was a reminder to stay out of SE airplanes. While others love the
scooter I was loath to fly it with THE engine. I figure the T-38/F-5 would be
my choice of mount when I become a multi-millionair.

Sparky
Old August 27th 04, 08:24 PM
John Carrier

"Tony Volk" histoo wrote
in message ...
Lost an engine twice in a F-4, in the 'break' at Cubi, and A/B blowout
off

the
cat...never had any other problems in the F-4 or Turkey.

You never had any problems in the Turkey? Did you fly the -B or -D,
because I thought the TF30s regularly suffered from compressor stalls and
turbine blade failures (especially early on before it was modified). -A
pilots I've spoken to talked about having the fly the engine just as much
as
having to fly the plane. So I would've thought that it'd make a great
posterboy for the 2-engine argument, or were they exagerrating? Thanks,

In approx 1000 hours, I had one F-14 engine fuel control failure. It was a
gradual rollback to the point the engine was below idle in flight with no
throttle control. I experienced 1 engine that would predictably generate
compressor stalls (more than one because I was doing a post-SDLM check and
wanted to document the engine's stall mode AOA, A/S etc).

Throttle transients at high AOA (and the Turkey could momentarily generate
BIG AOA, albeit could not sustain ala F-18) would stall the motors. The
engine didn't like high altitude (45K+) much. The early TF-30's had weak
compressor sections ... lost a few that way. The last iteration I saw,
TF-30P414, was adequate, but not nearly as sweet as the J-52, J-57, J-79.

Only engine prob I had with a J-79 was an oil pressure failure. Shut one
down in the break at Cubi (hmmm, something in the air there?) but that was a
function of a fuel control that had insufficient fuel flow on snap-back and
a bit of excess smack in the break. Relit without a problem.

The real issue with the TF-30 powered Turkey was it was plain flat
underpowered. A VX-4 guy once told several admirals the only thing the F-14
needed was Tumanski engines. That was a career-ending statement.

R / John

Old August 27th 04, 08:42 PM
Pechs1

Tony- You never had any problems in the Turkey? Did you fly the -B or -D,
because I thought the TF30s regularly suffered from compressor stalls and
turbine blade failures BRBR

'A' model in VF-31, A+ in VX-4. By the time I got to the F-14(1984) the engine
problems were well known and from the first day in the RAG, they harped about
how to 'fly the engines'. You did NOT move the trottles around a lot when
flying it or fighting it. The biggest probelm I saw was flap/slat lockout. A
potentially superior system, designed well, with crappy components. The slats
in the F-4S never gave anybody any headaches. The F-14, a common problem that
could really bite you blue water, around the CV.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old August 27th 04, 08:44 PM
Pechs1

John- A VX-4 guy once told several admirals the only thing the F-14
needed was Tumanski engines. That was a career-ending statement. BRBR

Please who was that?-email direct if you wish.

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old August 27th 04, 08:46 PM
Pechs1

elmshoot- I figure the T-38/F-5 would be
my choice of mount when I become a multi-millionair. BRBR

I'm gonna have two. An F-4S and a A-4F+.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old August 27th 04, 09:48 PM
Yofuri

"John Carrier" wrote in message

snip

The real issue with the TF-30 powered Turkey was it was plain flat
underpowered. A VX-4 guy once told several admirals the only thing the
F-14 needed was Tumanski engines. That was a career-ending statement.

R / John

IIRC, Swoose Snead was fired as PMA in 1972 for making a statement that the
Turkey was unsuitable for fleet introduction with the current engine. Once
a few Congresscritters hung up the phone, he was hired back next day, or the
day after that.

Rick

Old August 28th 04, 09:12 PM
Sergio

Pechs1 wrote :

The biggest probelm I saw was flap/slat lockout. A
potentially superior system, designed well, with crappy components. The
slats in the F-4S never gave anybody any headaches. The F-14, a common
problem that could really bite you blue water, around the CV.

Could you explain what was the flap/slat problem of the F-14 ?

--
Sergio