NACO approach plates

Old April 15th 04, 10:34 PM
J Haggerty

Default NACO approach plates

Just found out at work the other day that NACO/FAA have started
publishing their own approach plates on line. They're actually pretty
crisp looking, even when printed.
You can view them here;
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

Just click on the current date range and then follow the links.

JPH
Old April 15th 04, 10:57 PM
Teacherjh

.... NACO/FAA have started
publishing their own approach plates on line. [...]
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

Just click on the current date range and then follow the links.

Cool. But what's with the Flash stuff. Every page I go to it wants me to
download and install the Flash player. I refuse, and the page loads fine.

I HATE FLASH.

Jose

Old April 16th 04, 01:01 AM
Peter R.

Teacherjh wrote:

Cool. But what's with the Flash stuff. Every page I go to it wants me to
download and install the Flash player. I refuse, and the page loads fine.

It appears the Flash is there for their animated banner.

--
Peter

Old April 16th 04, 03:06 AM
Andrew Sarangan

J Haggerty wrote in news:cdDfc.8244$c%3.6439
@okepread02:

Just found out at work the other day that NACO/FAA have started
publishing their own approach plates on line. They're actually pretty
crisp looking, even when printed.
You can view them here;
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

Just click on the current date range and then follow the links.

JPH

That's great. The charts are lot clearer than the scanned versions from
other sites. Thanks for posting it.

Old April 16th 04, 12:39 PM

J Haggerty wrote:

Just found out at work the other day that NACO/FAA have started
publishing their own approach plates on line. They're actually pretty
crisp looking, even when printed.
You can view them here;
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

Just click on the current date range and then follow the links.

JPH

The reason they're crisp is because they are vector graphics, similar to
Jeppesen charts in JeppView. The only limitation to clarity with vector
graphics is the resolution of your printer.

Old April 16th 04, 04:40 PM
David Brooks

wrote in message ...

J Haggerty wrote:

Just found out at work the other day that NACO/FAA have started
publishing their own approach plates on line. They're actually pretty
crisp looking, even when printed.
You can view them here;
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

Just click on the current date range and then follow the links.

JPH

The reason they're crisp is because they are vector graphics, similar to
Jeppesen charts in JeppView. The only limitation to clarity with vector
graphics is the resolution of your printer.

And the text is encoded as text. You can tell: ask Adobe Reader 6.0 to read
the chart aloud to you (it's pretty amusing).

But why is the airport ID in the bottom right corner the only piece of text
in a serif font?

-- David Brooks

Old April 17th 04, 12:28 AM

David Brooks wrote:

And the text is encoded as text. You can tell: ask Adobe Reader 6.0 to read
the chart aloud to you (it's pretty amusing).

I have Acrobat 6.0 and never got that far. I'll have to give it a try.

But why is the airport ID in the bottom right corner the only piece of text
in a serif font?

They wanted to throw a tiny bit of business to the serif font sales person?

Old April 17th 04, 03:06 AM
AaronK

"J Haggerty" wrote in message
Just found out at work the other day that NACO/FAA have started
publishing their own approach plates on line. They're actually pretty
crisp looking, even when printed.
You can view them here;
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

Just click on the current date range and then follow the links.

JPH

These are very nice crisp plates. With Aeroplanner for printing charts, ( I
have a 13x19 printer) I could drop my Jepps subscription. At least for the
kind of limited flying I do. I found the old online scanned charts
unusable. ... Aaron

Old April 19th 04, 04:04 AM
David Brooks

"AaronK" wrote in message
"J Haggerty" wrote in message
Just found out at work the other day that NACO/FAA have started
publishing their own approach plates on line. They're actually pretty
crisp looking, even when printed.
You can view them here;
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

Just click on the current date range and then follow the links.

JPH

These are very nice crisp plates. With Aeroplanner for printing charts,

( I
have a 13x19 printer) I could drop my Jepps subscription. At least for

the
kind of limited flying I do. I found the old online scanned charts
unusable. ... Aaron

Although the NACOs have obviously learned from the great Jepp redesign, be
careful that you understand the differences before you go fly. They still
use those little coded icons (white letters in an upside-down triangle,
etc). And note there is no "descent rate" entry in the speed table, at least
on the ILS chart I looked at.

-- David Brooks