Why so many abbreviations in NOTAMs, etc.?

Old April 17th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Why so many abbreviations in NOTAMs, etc.?

Why are so many things abbreviated in NOTAMs and other similar documents?
Even words that aren't very long to begin with are often abbreviated, saving
only a letter or two. I can't think of any situation today in which bandwidth
would be so severely limited that saving a letter or two would make a
difference, so I assume there is some historical reason for the abbreviations.
Were such messages transmitted by Morse code or something in the past, or is
someone still transmitting them that way (or over some other extremely slow
channel) today?

Old April 17th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Snowbird

"Mxsmanic" wrote ...
Why are so many things abbreviated in NOTAMs and other similar documents?
Even words that aren't very long to begin with are often abbreviated,
saving
only a letter or two. I can't think of any situation today in which
bandwidth
would be so severely limited that saving a letter or two would make a
difference, so I assume there is some historical reason for the
abbreviations.
Were such messages transmitted by Morse code or something in the past, or
is
someone still transmitting them that way (or over some other extremely
slow
channel) today?

Org dsgnd for 110 Bd tty. ;-)

Old April 17th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:
Why are so many things abbreviated in NOTAMs and other similar documents?
Even words that aren't very long to begin with are often abbreviated, saving
only a letter or two. I can't think of any situation today in which bandwidth
would be so severely limited that saving a letter or two would make a
difference, so I assume there is some historical reason for the abbreviations.
Were such messages transmitted by Morse code or something in the past, or is
someone still transmitting them that way (or over some other extremely slow
channel) today?

Teletype machines and abreviations understandable by everyone
without regard to native language.

Teletype machines are still used in many parts of the world.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 17th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Tauno Voipio

Snowbird wrote:
"Mxsmanic" wrote ...

Why are so many things abbreviated in NOTAMs and other similar documents?
Even words that aren't very long to begin with are often abbreviated,
saving
only a letter or two. I can't think of any situation today in which
bandwidth
would be so severely limited that saving a letter or two would make a
difference, so I assume there is some historical reason for the
abbreviations.
Were such messages transmitted by Morse code or something in the past, or
is
someone still transmitting them that way (or over some other extremely
slow
channel) today?

Org dsgnd for 110 Bd tty. ;-)

The TTY was 45.45 bits/s in US and 50 bit/s in Europe,
with 5 bit coding (Telex).

The 8 bit 110 bit/s thingy is newer.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi
Old April 17th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Snowbird

"Tauno Voipio" wrote ...

The TTY was 45.45 bits/s in US and 50 bit/s in Europe,
with 5 bit coding (Telex).

The 8 bit 110 bit/s thingy is newer.

I was afraid of that ;-o
So it's really old then.

Old April 17th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Rich Ahrens

Snowbird wrote:
"Tauno Voipio" wrote ...
The TTY was 45.45 bits/s in US and 50 bit/s in Europe,
with 5 bit coding (Telex).

The 8 bit 110 bit/s thingy is newer.

I was afraid of that ;-o
So it's really old then.

My first "laptop" was a portable hardcopy terminal whose standard speed
was 110 baud. High speed was 300 baud! Acoustic coupler for connectivity
and rolls of thermal paper for media. It rocked.
Old April 18th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Why are so many things abbreviated in NOTAMs and other similar
documents? Even words that aren't very long to begin with are often
abbreviated, saving only a letter or two. I can't think of any
situation today in which bandwidth would be so severely limited that
saving a letter or two would make a difference, so I assume there is
some historical reason for the abbreviations. Were such messages
transmitted by Morse code or something in the past, or is someone
still transmitting them that way (or over some other extremely slow
channel) today?

You're an idiot.

Bertie
Old April 18th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Judah

Rich Ahrens wrote in :

My first "laptop" was a portable hardcopy terminal whose standard speed
was 110 baud. High speed was 300 baud! Acoustic coupler for connectivity
and rolls of thermal paper for media. It rocked.

Yes, but back then "It rocks" refered to Granny and Pappy on the front
porch...
Old April 18th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Erik

Mxsmanic wrote:

Why are so many things abbreviated in NOTAMs and other similar documents?
Even words that aren't very long to begin with are often abbreviated, saving
only a letter or two. I can't think of any situation today in which bandwidth
would be so severely limited that saving a letter or two would make a
difference, so I assume there is some historical reason for the abbreviations.
Were such messages transmitted by Morse code or something in the past, or is
someone still transmitting them that way (or over some other extremely slow
channel) today?

I was told that the fewer characters transmitted, the more
cost-effective it became.

I was hoping that in this age of the internet, they would change this
before I had to take my written (no luck). I passed it anyway, but I'm
certain that part of the questions I got wrong were for the stupid
weather reading.

Old April 18th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gig 601XL Builder

Erik wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:

[...]

Well then study up because you will be asked at your check ride.

GPS unreliable NOTAMs Mxsmanic Piloting 2 April 12th 07 01:20 AM
Airline Abbreviations jfp Piloting 5 December 31st 05 08:59 AM
GPS Notams of outages Robert Scott Instrument Flight Rules 9 May 23rd 05 06:08 AM
Finnish Aeronautical Engineering Abbreviations Ron Wanttaja Home Built 10 April 1st 04 07:14 AM
NOTAMs for non-US space launches? Allen Thomson Military Aviation 0 September 25th 03 04:01 PM