There I was, flat on my back...

Old August 16th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kyle Boatright

Default There I was, flat on my back...

....in the footwell of the RV-6. Thankfully, it was only 100 degrees on the
ramp and 110 in the hangar.

On a happier note, those 5 minutes spent under the panel allowed me to
install a decent 12V power receptacle to replace the junker I'd bought at
the auto parts store. Ooh the joy of technology that should have been
simple enough to work the first time.

Now, my GPS works off of ship's power and I can hook up the battery tender
to the always hot outlet! And speaking of hot, it really was hot here
today. The RV flew well, even if the oil temperature did register over 100F
on start-up.

Old August 16th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..
...in the footwell of the RV-6. Thankfully, it was only 100 degrees on the
ramp and 110 in the hangar.

On a happier note, those 5 minutes spent under the panel allowed me to
install a decent 12V power receptacle to replace the junker I'd bought at
the auto parts store. Ooh the joy of technology that should have been
simple enough to work the first time.

Now, my GPS works off of ship's power and I can hook up the battery tender
to the always hot outlet! And speaking of hot, it really was hot here
today. The RV flew well, even if the oil temperature did register over
100F on start-up.

Did you take the seat out, or did you have to lay inverted across the seat,
and head down under the dash?

If so, I feel your pain! :-)
--
Jim in NC

Old August 16th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kyle Boatright

"Morgans" wrote in message

[...]

The cushions come out but the seat pans don't. This is something of a
benefit, as the sharp pain from a seat pan embedded in my back helps take my
mind off of the muscle cramps that stem from the contortions required to get
under the panel.

When I was building the plane, I got stuck in the footwell one night. I had
been in there for quite a while pulling wires or something, and got a muscle
cramp which more or less locked me into place. I spent enough time in that
unfortunate position to give some thought to the headlines which would
result if I expired there. It wasn't like anyone was gonna come looking for
me for a few days, since I worked pretty hard to keep various girlfriends at
arms length so they didn't interfere with the airplane project.

KB

Old August 16th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
john smith[_2_]

In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

On a happier note, those 5 minutes spent under the panel allowed me to
install a decent 12V power receptacle to replace the junker I'd bought at
the auto parts store. Ooh the joy of technology that should have been
simple enough to work the first time.

Kyle, what type of recepticle did you use and where did you get it?
Old August 16th 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kyle Boatright

"john smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

On a happier note, those 5 minutes spent under the panel allowed me to
install a decent 12V power receptacle to replace the junker I'd bought at
the auto parts store. Ooh the joy of technology that should have been
simple enough to work the first time.

Kyle, what type of recepticle did you use and where did you get it?

It came from the local West Marine store. $9.95 or thereabouts. I bought
the black plastic one. They also had one in stainless.

The stainless one is on their website for $12 or $13. The black plastic one
seems to be in-store only.

KB

Old August 16th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

When I was building the plane, I got stuck in the footwell one night. I
had been in there for quite a while pulling wires or something, and got a
muscle cramp which more or less locked me into place. I spent enough time
in that unfortunate position to give some thought to the headlines which
would result if I expired there. It wasn't like anyone was gonna come
looking for me for a few days, since I worked pretty hard to keep various
girlfriends at arms length so they didn't interfere with the airplane
project.

My dad had a friend who fell head first, in behind a chest freezer, and
could not get him self out. His wife came and found him after he had been
in that position for a bit over two hours.

When he told his friends what had happened, they said, "that must have been
awful!"

The guy who had been stuck was kinda' weird. His answer was, "It wasn't so
bad. The radio was on."

Your tale reminded me of that one. I do feel your pain, though. I got
stuck in a crawl space, one time, and for a while I thought I was stuck, and
nobody knew where I was. After the panic passed, I dug myself out.

All that for a 12 volt outlet. And they wonder why people who build
airplanes are called weird! g
--
Jim in NC

Flat tire Viperdoc[_4_] Piloting 11 June 4th 07 02:57 PM
Sudden Flat Tire Kevin Kubiak Piloting 27 October 15th 05 02:17 AM
Flat Tires? Jay Honeck Owning 40 August 31st 05 01:59 AM
Flat Spin JJ Sinclair Soaring 34 February 10th 04 05:57 PM
P=39's and flat spins. ArtKramr Military Aviation 10 July 15th 03 05:06 PM