I have my new Sparrow Hawk

Old May 7th 04, 05:06 AM
Slick

can't we make just this one exception for the sparrow hawk?
"BTIZ" wrote in message
-FAR 91.309 specifically says "glider"
-FAR 91.311 specifically says not to tow anything except as allowed by
91.309 unless you have a waiver
-FAR 103 makes no reference to a glider, but to an "un powered ultra

light"
-A glider has rules for pilot certification and glider operations under
parts 61 and 91
-An unpowered ultralight is only governed by part 103 and has no pilot
certification requirements

Which is easier, for the tow plane and 8 tow pilots to get waivers under
91.311
or one sparrowhawk pilot to get an experimental certification. The

standard
waiver under 91.311 is based on that pilot and that plane, not a blanket
waiver on the plane with any pilot, although I suppose it could be written
that way.

As for.. well, the local FSDO says,.. could you get that in writing

please?
and I'll take it to our local FSDO for their interpretation.

BT

"Patrick McLaughlin" wrote in message
om...
I recived my Sparrow Hawk SN #10 just two weekends ago. I was the test
pilot for the virgin bird. After 2.5 Hrs. in light 'high-pressure day'
thermals in Central Oregon. All I needed to adjust was the rudder
peddle lenght. Greg Cole said I main a record for the most time aloft
with the least number of tows. @ tows and ~ 5.5 Hrs.

I was able to walk the glider out to the runway by mayself, at 155 lbs
& wheels, why not, hook-up and go. The tow, flight and landing is very
easy. Controls are very responsive and light, but not the least bit
twitchy. In otherwards, no over sensitive pitching as with many other
gliders.

I have been flying a Nimbus-II till the Sparrow hawk came around.
Although one is a mere 155 Lbs, while the other is well over 1,000
lbs. I found that transitining from one to the other was a non issue.
I have been flying powered aircraft and hang gliders sence 1972. It is
my honest openion that any one who has been flying moderate to high
performance flex wings and rigid wings will fell very much at home
with the Sparrow Hawk.

One would think that such a light glider would blow about like a paper
bag and have potentual penitration problems. Not so, Creg Cole has
designed airfoils specifically for this light weight application. What
with wing-loading similar to any other standard class glider it feels
very solid and secure, even in big air. Its like a solid high
performance sports car. I can thermal, much like my hang glider, as
tight as I desire, taking advantage of small light, scratchy thermals.
Many that I would simply pass up in many other sail planes. I hope to
travel about with it to many other sites.

Towing:
Our glider club said that as long as a Sparrow Hawk owner is a current
local club and SSA member, there will be no problems getting a tow and
have insurance cover the tow plane, but not the glider. We have a
Piper Pawnee. I am sure that the insurance situation will be the same
with many other clubs and comercial operations.

I will be flying my Sparrow Hawk glider much more real soon and hope
to answer any questions one may have.

Old May 7th 04, 05:59 AM
BTIZ

and then where do you stop... there are at least 2 other Euro built gliders
out there that could potentially fall into the same category.. but to my
knowledge... they are getting US experimental glider certifications when
imported..

and only the FAA can make the exception... if they want to list it as a tow
able under 91.309...

BT

Old May 7th 04, 01:29 PM
Robertmudd1u

and then where do you stop... there are at least 2 other Euro built gliders
out there that could potentially fall into the same category.. but to my
knowledge... they are getting US experimental glider certifications when
imported..

The Apis is too heavy to be a US ultralight. My 13meter Apis weighed in at
300lbs. Even the lighter weight Apis WR is too heavy for the US part 103
regulations. All models are being certified as Experimental.

Having to meet the strict weight limit of 155lbs for part 103 opens up the
potential for problems and costs. Any time you push the limits of a standard
that happens. It is all trade offs.

The Sport Pilot program offers little advantage as we do not need medical
certificates now. The changes needed on the Pipistrel Sinus and VIrus
motorgliders to meet Sport Pilot just dumb down the design; offering no
advantage in safety. We have to remove the controlable pitch prop and make the
feathering automatic rather than pilot selected. The cruise speed also needs to
be reduced.

Robert Mudd
Old May 7th 04, 05:44 PM
Tom Seim

[...]

Assuming your comments are directed at me, this is as far as I am
going to take it; the rest is up to you. Getting either a legal
ruling, towing waiver or experimental certificate will take time.
Contacting your local FSDO personally will give you regulatory
protection while the paperwork is in process.

Tom Seim
Old May 8th 04, 12:49 AM
BTIZ

thanx Rob.. I was thinking the WR was advertised as Ultralight , but I did
not remember its specifications..

BT

Old May 8th 04, 08:23 AM
Mark James Boyd

Robertmudd1u wrote:

The Sport Pilot program offers little advantage as we do not need medical
certificates now.

Sport pilot may not help, but sport aircraft should.
This is where the real benefit to gliding lies. Certifying
a kit as a sport aircraft looks like it would be
beneficial compared to experimental.

Details abound, but at a minimum, one might avoid the
limitations (in some cases for some operators severe)
of an experimental.

Sport pilot seems quite useful for transition pilots
(from another cat/class),
and essentially useless for anyone else...

--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Old May 9th 04, 04:37 AM
Patrick McLaughlin

"Rene Lundgren" wrote in message ...
Patrick

Congratulations with your new plane, and thank you for sharing the first
flight experience with the NG.

Look forward to read more about it in the near future.
It seems the most important thing here, is all the rules&regulations BS, not
the fact that a fellow glider wants to share a nice experience with us!!

Anyway - happy landings.

Rene

Dear Rene,

With all the replies over tow issues, it was nice to see that someone
was actually interested in the fact that yet another customer has and
is flying his new Sparrow Hawk glider. I fly at the drop of a hat. I
like to go up in scratchy days and try my luck and hope it turns into
skills. I did, however, fly today for about 1.5 Hrs. in rather
big-air. At no time did I feel that the 155 Lb. glider was too light.
With the exception of a little less visibility over hang gliders, I am
quite happy with my decision to get the Sparrow Hawk.