Canopy glare and UV protection?

Old May 10th 04, 12:38 AM
Kevin R. Anderson

Default Canopy glare and UV protection?

Help,

I am just getting some time in a HP-18 that I purchased. I am having a
couple of problems. There is quite a bit of glare on the inside of the
canopy. I have switched to wearing gray shoes, but there is still more than
I would like.

There is also quite a bit of heat that is generated inside the ship. You
are laying out with your complete body exposed to the sun.

Does anyone know of something that could be used on the inside of the canopy
to decrease the glare, and on the inside or the outside to cut down UV
penetration?

Thanks
Kevin Anderson
Soar i92 HP-18
Soar 192 SGS-1-26B

Old May 10th 04, 01:09 AM
Udo Rumpf

If you still have the original ventilation and canopy set-up,
which is indeed marginal, do the following:
First cut the tail cone in a way that will allow for a large exhaust
opening.
Cut it back to the point where you have about a one inch width over the
total height.
Increase the vent area in front either by enlarging the existing opening
or built and install a nose air intake. That will feed both a front vent as
well
as an eye ball vent. Plus get a side window with an air scoop that can be
closed at will.(important, as it can cold very quickly)
Only then will you have some comfort.
Tinting the canopy is then only an add on, which helps even more but
if all is done as recommended, it will not be needed.
Regards
Udo