A Rec.Aviation FRS Channel @ Oshkosh this year?

Old June 17th 05, 10:22 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Default A Rec.Aviation FRS Channel @ Oshkosh this year?

IIRC, last year someone (Jim Weir?) designated a Rec.Aviation FRS channel so
that everyone could find each other more easily. My brothers and I plan on
being there this year. Did it work out and was it any help last year? Are
there plans for repeating such a thing this year. If so, what channel?
Thanks.

Old June 17th 05, 11:24 PM
RST Engineering

WE designated channel 3 with no tone coding, but we may revise that this
year in light of the idiot children to whom a radio is something to scream
into to see how many adults they can piff off.

Jim

Old June 18th 05, 12:40 AM
Jay Honeck

WE designated channel 3 with no tone coding, but we may revise that this
year in light of the idiot children to whom a radio is something to scream
into to see how many adults they can piff off.

That's been our experience on ALL FRS channels at OSH, Jim. Those radios
have become ubiquitous, and there are just too many people on the grounds to
use them reliably.

Alternatively, however -- and you understand that I would never recommend
this, of course -- but a far more reliable form of communication at Oshkosh
(and one that is guaranteed to be used only by pilots) would be to designate
a totally off-the-wall frequency on your aviation hand-held radio. Say,
122.575, or something similar.

I certainly have no personal knowledge of such things, but I've heard that
these radios offer a 100% reliable form of communication at OSH, with
excellent range to boot.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 18th 05, 01:39 AM

I have used FRS radios successfully at OSH, but
tone protection is a must. There will still be some
interference - and sometimes you will have to make repeated calls due
to stronger signals drowning you out. The system isn't perfect, but
it's a lot better than going without.

David Johnson

Old June 18th 05, 01:58 AM
RST Engineering

Jay, I'm shocked -- TOTALLY SHOCKED -- that you would even MENTION such a
brazen affront to our aviation band. I mean, that would mean that we would
have to leave our FRS radios home, our 2m ham radios home, our CB radios
home ... just THINK of the havoc that would wreak upon the suppliers of
batteries, the sellers of radios, the little children homeless because of
this totally

wonderful

idea.

And yes, I've considered it, against the multiple federal licenses I hold
that are my day to day bread and butter.

Now, if someone ELSE were to propose it, and search a particular frequency
for (non)use, certainly somebody could adopt my code name of weirdjim and be
on that frequency.

But you understand, it isn't me. It can't be me. Nosir, I'd never do that.

122.575 you say?

Jim

Old June 18th 05, 04:04 AM
Jay Honeck

But you understand, it isn't me. It can't be me. Nosir, I'd never do
that.

122.575 you say?

I've never heard of such a stupid thing in my life.

But, given that 122.575 *is* the dumbest of all possible solutions, perhaps
we should discuss potential uses for radio communication of this type at
OSH. What have you got in mind if (for example) any pilots would be stupid
enough to use the aviation-band radio frequency in the 122.575 range to
communicate on the Oshkosh grounds?

Theoretically speaking, of course.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 18th 05, 05:39 AM
Jack Allison

Jay Honeck wrote:

My, this *is* a fascinating theoretical topic the two of you have going.
I look forward to "hearing" (not via radio waves...never!) any results
that anyone lame enough to try this achieves. Perhaps this topic will
come up in the far away land of IOW sometime approximately five weeks
from now...nah, couldn't happen.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old June 18th 05, 08:17 AM
Ben Jackson

On 2005-06-18, RST Engineering wrote:
And yes, I've considered it, against the multiple federal licenses I hold
that are my day to day bread and butter.

Dear weirdjim (not his real name),

I am shocked that someone with your credentials would recommend such
an outrageous plan! As someone of your technical expertise no doubt
knows, you are considering bootlegging on the crummiest sounding band
out of all the ones you listed! You should at least have the DECENCY
to suggest something FM... ;-)

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old June 19th 05, 01:32 AM

Related (but slightly off the wall), with a venue the size of Oshkosh
fellow hams might consider Tiny Tracker .

(For non-hams, this is a man-portable GPS unit that periodically
transmits its location which is then displayed on a map. Very handy
for locating the body :-)

-R.S.Hoover
-(KA6HZF)

A Rec.Aviation FRS Channel @ Oshkosh this year? Bob Chilcoat Home Built 25 June 20th 05 10:07 PM
Oshkosh Rec.Aviation Party Pictures Jay Honeck Home Built 2 December 30th 03 02:36 PM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Montblack Owning 86 August 14th 03 04:29 PM
Oshkosh Rec.Aviation Get-together details... Jay Honeck Home Built 2 August 3rd 03 04:31 PM