Ultralight motors?

Old October 23rd 05, 09:12 AM
Anthony W

Default Ultralight motors?

I had been watching for a copy of it on eBay for over 3 years. I'm
surprised you found one so quickly.

Two stroke cycle engines can be a marvel of simplicity or frustratingly
complex and sometimes both at the same time. Most of my 2 stroke
experience is motorcycle and snowmobile related. For street bikes the
EPA killed them and it’s a real shame. There really wasn’t that much
pollution from all bikes much less a few 2 strokes on the road.

I don’t have any experience with fuel injected 2 strokes but I’ll bet
it’s an improvement. Like I said before I don’t have the money for such
a project or I’d have a Hirth 4 on order to put in a bike.

I'm 6'5" and I could never seriously consider an ultralight. I don't
know what engine will be in my first plane but only cost will take one
of these out of the running.

Tony

Richard Riley wrote:
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 03:07:09 GMT, Anthony W
wrote:

:
:One of the customers to my motorcycle parts biz eMailed me a copy in PDF
:format. If you're real nice, I'll eMail it to you one file at a time.
:I was thinking of adding it to my website but I don't want yo get into
roblems with royalties.

Tony, thank you very much. I don't know much about 2 strokes but I'm
flying behind one some now (a little Zenoah) and I should learn more.

Please email them to rtriley (at) gmail.com

Mostly, I was just interested by how easy it was to find these days.
I had the same experience a while back with a song I'd heard on the
radio in the 1970's. "Midnight Flight" by the Good Brothers. I could
never find it in the US back then (they were a Canadian band). Last
year I thought to look it up - and within about 3 minutes I'd bought a
copy of the album on Ebay for $5.

Old October 24th 05, 09:10 PM

Anthony W wrote:
I had been watching for a copy of it on eBay for over 3 years. I'm
surprised you found one so quickly.

Two stroke cycle engines can be a marvel of simplicity or frustratingly
complex and sometimes both at the same time. Most of my 2 stroke
experience is motorcycle and snowmobile related. For street bikes the
EPA killed them and it's a real shame. There really wasn't that much
pollution from all bikes much less a few 2 strokes on the road.

I don't have any experience with fuel injected 2 strokes but I'll bet
it's an improvement. Like I said before I don't have the money for such
a project or I'd have a Hirth 4 on order to put in a bike.

I think fuel injected two strokes are being used for outboard motors
(marine use) now, so they may (soon?) be acceptable in other
aplications too. I think they do not require mixing the oil
into the fuel.

I'm 6'5" and I could never seriously consider an ultralight. I don't
know what engine will be in my first plane but only cost will take one
of these out of the running.

IIRC Steve Woods who designed the SkyPup ultralight is 6'4" and fit
in the cockpit nicely. The pup has a design weight of 195 lbs dry
using the Cayuna 215 engine but with design gross of 400 lbs you
need to be a skinny 6'5" to not exceed that.

There is a very active Yahoo CLUB (not group):

FF

Old October 25th 05, 03:29 AM
Richard Lamb

I couldn't fing the thread that someone use to tease me about
the weight limit going to 330 lbs, so I'll just jump in here and
blame Jim (;^) (evil troll!)

I wanted to give you all a e-mail I recieved from EAA. I was asking
them some questions in regards to weight and if there was a any changes coming to
the part 103 rule in regards to weight.

Thank you for the e-mail. The 254 pounds empty weight includes the
engine and everything else needed for flight less fuel and oil. There is no
active project in the FAA to add weight for Part 103 ultralights. I would plan on the
weight remaining 254 pounds.

Timm Bogenhagen
EAA Aviation Services
Ultralight Programs Manager
920-426-6527

www.eaa.org/ultralights

Old October 25th 05, 03:33 AM
Richard Lamb

I have about decided the same thing, John.

So I'm now looking at a 24 foot sloop with a pair of
crew dogs (kittens actually) in bikinis. Well, mostly in... )

I gotta tell ya, I'm liking this a lot.

Richard

Old October 25th 05, 06:09 AM
Morgans

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message
ps.com...
I couldn't fing the thread that someone use to tease me about
the weight limit going to 330 lbs, so I'll just jump in here and
blame Jim (;^) (evil troll!)

Man, talk about being hit on the blind side!

Go pick on Juan, or someone who deserves it! G
--
Jim in NC

Old October 25th 05, 06:20 AM
Morgans

"Anthony W" wrote

Thanks but I'm not a skinny 6'5". I was 6'7"+ before my last bike crash
but that's another story, anyway I'm rather stocky. The last time I was
skinny, I was 248 pounds and my doctor was conserned that I had lost to
much weight.

I hate to burst your bubble, but that would be considered moderately to
severely over weight. You need a new doctor.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 25th 05, 05:48 PM
Anthony W

Morgans wrote:
"Anthony W" wrote

Thanks but I'm not a skinny 6'5". I was 6'7"+ before my last bike crash
but that's another story, anyway I'm rather stocky. The last time I was
skinny, I was 248 pounds and my doctor was conserned that I had lost to
much weight.

I hate to burst your bubble, but that would be considered moderately to
severely over weight. You need a new doctor.

Both you and my college health professor that said I sould weigh under
180, are both full of ****. I had a hydrostatic weighing just to proove
that wrong. My lean body mass is 219 pounds. Add the 10 percent
recomended body fat and the's 240.9 so the doctor that told me he was
concerned I may have lost too much weight was just a little bit off.

The sad part was after a year of body building I only picked up a little
over a pound of muscle on my next hydrostatic weighing.

Tony
Old October 25th 05, 06:00 PM
Richard Lamb

HeeHeeHeeHee!!!
Yeah, I noticed Juan was back.

So. Juan, did you evere get that BD-5 flying?