Airport and Airport 1975

Old April 19th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
150flivver

Default Airport and Airport 1975

PAR minimums were lower than an ILS back in the good old days!

Old April 20th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On 19 Apr 2007 13:02:20 -0700, Dave J wrote:

I'll also say this about the generation gap. I clearly missed the days
when people dressed up to fly

I'm old enough to remember the first time I saw a guy wearing a T-shirt get
on an airplane with me.

I blame Southwest Airlines for making air travel available to the
proletariats.

:-)
--
Dallas
Old April 20th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dave J writes:

I'll also say this about the generation gap. I clearly missed the days
when people dressed up to fly, or when flight attendants flirted with
anybody.

I don't know that there was ever a time when flight attendants routinely
flirted with anyone, unless their employer requested it (not inconceivable in
the old days).

People dressed up because air travel was too expensive to be undertaken
routinely, and so any trip on an airplane was a special occasion. However,
during the same era, people dressed up a lot more for all sorts of occasions.
As little as forty years ago, many American women still felt a need to wear
gloves when going out.

Old April 20th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

I remember when almost all of them were women that you would want to have
flirt with you.

They are the same women today.

Old April 20th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dave J writes:

Ah! Maybe I'll read the book sometime. I have a feeling it'll have
more realistic detail fir aviation junkies!

It's out of print, unfortunately. I've been looking around for it for a
while. I actually read it while on a domestic leg of an overseas flight on
TWA--in first class, come to think of it. Today you'd probably be arrested
for reading it on a plane.

Old April 20th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Mxsmanic wrote:

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

I remember when almost all of them were women that you would want to have
flirt with you.

They are the same women today.

indeed. But we (macho chauvinistic pigs) were hoping that they would have
retired by now and replaced by younger / attractive generations :-)

ok, I am ducking now,

--Sylvain

Old April 20th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Sylvain writes:

indeed. But we (macho chauvinistic pigs) were hoping that they would have
retired by now and replaced by younger / attractive generations :-)

In the early days of aviation there were mostly young FAs because aviation was
itself too young to produce old FAs, at least in any quantity.

Now, decades later, there have been many thousands of FAs working for decades
and so the number of older FAs with substantial seniority has greatly
increased. For FAs, seniority is everything, since once one has learned to
carry out the job competently, there are no other criteria of advancement (the
job can only be done so well).

Seniority is important for pilots, too, but there are other factors. Piloting
is a job in which one learns indefinitely from experience, so that's a factor.
Also, pilots are required to retire at a fairly young age, which prevents
seniority from becoming too much of an issue.

New Airport Robert M. Gary Piloting 1 October 21st 05 07:19 AM
Kid day at the airport... Jay Honeck Piloting 92 September 20th 05 04:42 AM
Anyone have an airport diagram for Toronto Center City airport? Peter R. Piloting 10 November 19th 04 01:26 AM
Most Fun Airport Charles Talleyrand Piloting 34 June 10th 04 05:38 AM
Airport Radial/Distance/Fix on Jepp Airport Chart Dave Johnson Instrument Flight Rules 9 May 2nd 04 11:03 PM