Need Help with fuel guage.. :(

Old March 1st 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Need Help with fuel guage.. :(

OK...a 1976 PA 28 151..

After a few minutes of running, the port guage will start to fall
towards E.

It is showing 3/4 now (fuel at tabs), and will sag to 1/4 within
about 15 min, while I am operating on the starboard (other) tank.

Shut down for a few hours, guage resumes normal (correct) indication.

We have checked / replaced, tank grounds, sender, wiring to guage.

I think the guage terminals handle 12 V to the left terminal
(looking at it from under the panel) (starboard terminal) , The other
to the tank sender (port terminal).. (grounding this terminal when
the fault is present will cause a "full" indication).

From what I recall, there is a "ground" connection internal in the
guage. Anybody know how this is grounded?

I suspect a bad connection here somewhere..

Driving me up the wall..of course every time I attack the problem,
meter in hand, it works fine.

Anybody any ideas? Suggestions or test procedures?

Dave
Old March 1st 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Dave" wrote in message
OK...a 1976 PA 28 151..

Anybody any ideas? Suggestions or test procedures?

Dave

Try swapping the meters (fuel guages) in the panel. By that I mean switch
the wires, so the left guage is wired up to the right tank. See if the
problem moves or stays.

Old March 1st 06, 09:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Tank venting.

Old March 2nd 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Macklin wrote:
Tank venting.

I assume he actually sticked the tanks to verify there was
fuel, it's not a cessna.
Old March 3rd 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

If the vents are partials plugged, the fuel can siphon tank
to tank and also may feed asymmetrically. Also, it can be
pushed from a tank to another by trapped pressure as the
plane climbs. Also, if the plane is not truly trimmed, g
forces can push fuel just like it pushes the "ball."

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

m...

Old March 3rd 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thanks all....

...... but note in my post, the sender has been replaced with new, the
rsistance is exactly on spec, and no dead spots in it's operation..

The fuel level has no effect on the fault..the guage literally "goes
to sleep" when ever it feels like it, usually after about 15 mins,
then occassionally, during flight, "wakes up" and reads correctly for
a few minutes.. then away it goes.. (down)..

Switching wires to the guages is a bear of a job under the panel, but
I may do it back under the seat, just to be sure..

Anybody know where to get a wiring diagram/component location info on
the Warrior? my CD manual is a bit lacking here...

Dave