vor head needed

Old November 15th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blanche

Default vor head needed

Denny wrote:
Ahh yes, but you are a software geek and manuals are soft - right?

The Narco/TKM will not drive King/Garmin/Collins indicator heads, but a
call to TKM could clarify that - or any avionics shop...

Blanche wrote:
Gadzooks -- you're making me go read the docs again.

Turns out that it may just be a bad connector between the VOR head and
the TKM unit. So I'm flying down to the avionics shop (all of 15 min)
after Turkey Day and let them take a look.

Old November 15th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blanche

RST Engineering wrote:
There are two adjustment controls on the rear. The top center one is
labeled LOC and the bottom right one is labeled VOR.

In the lower left corner there is what we call a "cannon" plug, about 1.25"
diameter and with 14 male pins inside the plug housing.

That what you've got?

Yup.

Now, as I said, this one was working 20 years ago when I took it out to
replace it with the RST navcom(s). If it is DOA when you get it, start
thinking that perhaps it is the radio that drives the heads rather than the
heads themselves. What radio is driving the head?

The TKM is driving the VOR head. And your diagnosis is right on the mark.
I'll be out at the airport tomorrow to check on the radio nav itself.
It may be bad connections/wiring. The instrument shop (yes, I broke down
and took the VOR head over there today) claims that the narcos are
practically bullet proof, and the odds are 90% in my favor that if the
radio works, there's probably bad wiring or connectors.

If the radio is good, and this one doesn't work, I'll look around for the
other head.

Wait until I see what's happening with the one I've got here.

tanks!

Old November 15th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

No problem. I didn't even dust it off or disturb the dust bunny hole it
came out of. I'll put it back and wait for the next time.

Your radio shop is right; that VOA-4 is damned near bulletproof.

Jim