Maintaining altitude

Old May 18th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

Default Maintaining altitude

On May 19, 1:09*am, Mxsmanic wrote:

Depleted uranium is almost twice as heavy as lead. *Osmium is about 20%
heavier than DU, but it smells bad (and the smell is toxic).

Nope, 1 Kg of lead weighs the same as 1 Kg of anything else. The
density is depleted uranium is not twice that of lead either.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Old May 18th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

On May 19, 12:55*am, terry wrote:
On May 17, 3:45*am, Mxsmanic wrote:

Dudley Henriques writes:
Generally speaking, you will establish level flight with pitch, adjust
the power, and trim the airplane. At this point level flight is
maintained by extremely subtle and ever constant "caressing" in pitch.

How sensitive is the trim? *I find myself wondering this as I adjust trim in
the sim. *The sim seems a bit coarse, although I'm doing much better at
holding altitude in the C182 (which has no altitude hold for the autopilot)
than I was doing a week or two ago.

When I leave the runway, the aircraft (C182 or C172) seems to climb very
briskly with take-off trim set. *After climbing a few hundred feet I find that
I must hold the stick forward and trim nose down significantly in order to get
the aircraft to level off a bit. *This is with full throttle (and pitch all
the way forward, in the C182). *I'm not sure if I should just continue
trimming to level flight with the throttle set forward, or back off on the
throttle substantially to maintain altitude. *I also don't know if this brisk
climb behavior (with full tanks but just me and equal-weight ballast in the
right seat) is typical of the actual aircraft (I have had mixed replies to my
various inquiries).

I *know you are supposed to use the stick to adjust to the correct
altitude and then trim but I must admit to cheating a bit and just
playing with the trim only until I get the altitude nailed. *And I am
very curious about what you use for ballast in the right seat Mx?

I thought we had already established he knows nothing about weight and
balance?

Cheers
Old May 18th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

On May 19, 1:09*am, Mxsmanic wrote:

I've considered this issue, and decided that my ballast is jugs of tap water,
because I can empty or fill jugs as required to adjust the ballast, and I can
move individual jugs about the cabin as required. *I put ballast on the
opposite side of the cabin and behind me, in most cases, to center the CG and
move it back a little (when I'm flying alone).

Are you not always alone when you play the MSFS game? What's this with
the water jugs in the "cabin" anyway?

Cheers
Old May 18th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

More_Flaps writes:

Nope, 1 Kg of lead weighs the same as 1 Kg of anything else.

100 cc's of DU weighs 68% more than 100 cc's of lead.

The density is depleted uranium is not twice that of lead either.

It is 68% greater.
Old May 18th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

More_Flaps writes:

Are you not always alone when you play the MSFS game?

In the sim environment, I may or may not have passengers.

What's this with the water jugs in the "cabin" anyway?

They assist with balancing the payload of the aircraft.
Old May 18th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
More_Flaps writes:

The density is depleted uranium is not twice that of lead either.

It is 68% greater.

So you agree with him? Last time I checked, an increase of 68% isn't
'twice'.

Andy

Old May 18th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Benjamin Dover

terry wrote in
:

)
[...]

very curious about what you use for ballast in the right seat Mx? Are
you using one of those "Skyguy" co-pilot dummies with the uniform
that you get from the pilot shop? I used to have one myself but it
was a pain carrying it around , so now I just use an 80 kg block of
lead, since it was the densest object I could find. Do you know of
anything denser so it wont take up as much room in my flight bag?
Thanks
Terry
PPL Downunder

MX uses a blow-up sex doll.

Old May 18th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Benjamin Dover

Andy Hawkins wrote in
:

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
More_Flaps writes:

The density is depleted uranium is not twice that of lead either.

It is 68% greater.

So you agree with him? Last time I checked, an increase of 68% isn't
'twice'.

Andy

Did you expect higher accuracy from MXSmoron?

Old May 18th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

On May 19, 4:09*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
More_Flaps writes:
Nope, 1 Kg of *lead weighs the same as 1 Kg of anything else.

100 cc's of DU weighs 68% more than 100 cc's of lead.

Yes but that's not what you said.

The density is depleted uranium is not twice that of lead either.

It is 68% greater.

That's better.

Cheers
Old May 18th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

On May 19, 4:10*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
More_Flaps writes:
Are you not always alone when you play the MSFS game?

In the sim environment, I may or may not have passengers.

What's this with the water jugs in the "cabin" anyway?

They assist with balancing the payload of the aircraft.

You add water jugs to a 172 sim when you fly solo?
How and why do you think you need to?

Cheers