Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

Old March 11th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

WJRFlyBoy wrote in
:

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 20:57:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Try Twin Oaks airport near San Antonio.
http://www.fboweb.com/fb40/airport/T94.html

It's not unsafe if you are careful.

That's what they told Aryton Senna.

I think Ayrton Senna knew the score.

Bertie
Old March 11th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"WJRFlyBoy" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 21:35:47 GMT, Vaughn Simon wrote:

I missed making my point. It was the nearness of the houses (aircraft
irregardless). Sorry.

On a regular basis, I have cars zipping by not two carlengths from my
bedroom, some of them faster than a landing Aircoupe. Not only that, I live at
the dangerous end of a "T" intersection. If one car ran that stop sign...

Anyhow, been 20 years now in this same house and no trouble.

Vaughn

Old March 11th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Vaughn Simon" wrote

Not only that, I live at the dangerous end of a "T" intersection. If one
car ran that stop sign...

Anyhow, been 20 years now in this same house and no trouble.

Year 21 may be the year your luck runs out.

I knew a guy that lived at the end of a sharp 90 degree turn, and someone
fell asleep at the wheel, and the car ended up parked in his bedroom,
pushing the bed up against the wall, with the ceiling collapsed on top of
him. It took a long time to get him out, but all he ended up with was some
scrapes and bruises. He was lucky that he had a sturdy bed, with a tall
headboard. That fact held up part of the ceiling, and kept from crushing
his head and chest.

You might want to consider getting the authorities to put up a guardrail, or
a very large stone to protect the house. Food for thought?
--
Jim in NC

Old March 11th 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mar 10, 6:05*pm, WJRFlyBoy wrote:
On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 22:31:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
If that bothers you don't think of landing at some of our back country
strips out here in the west. *You would have a heart attack at most of
them trying to thread the needle of trees, cliffs, creeks, stumps,
critters, etc.......

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com
N801BH

It's a little different when you miss a landing a kill a few pines v.s. the
neighbor's kids.
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!

The trick is to not "miss a landing"... Can you say,, Go
Around ??????????
Old March 11th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"WJRFlyBoy" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 21:35:47 GMT, Vaughn Simon wrote:

I missed making my point. It was the nearness of the houses (aircraft
irregardless). Sorry.

On a regular basis, I have cars zipping by not two carlengths from my
bedroom, some of them faster than a landing Aircoupe. Not only that, I
live at the dangerous end of a "T" intersection. If one car ran that stop
sign...

Anyhow, been 20 years now in this same house and no trouble.

I used to live near the end of Greenfield Rd. at 14 Mile Rd. in Birmingham
MI. In the Google maps "street view":

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=greenfield+rd.+and+14+mi le+rd.+Birmingham+MI&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=30.875284,80.332031&ie=UTF8&ll=42.5 35437,-83.204527&spn=0.007004,0.02665&z=16&layer=c&cbll=4 2.53192,-83.20441&cbp=1,0,,0,5you can see the BIG rock that the guy who lived across from the end ofGreenfield set in his front yard after the _second_ time that a car ended upin his bedroom...I'd rather live next to a runway myself...--GeoffThe Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Comremove spaces and make the obvious substitutions to reply by mailWhen immigration is outlawed, only outlaws will immigrate.
Old March 11th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"WJRFlyBoy" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 20:57:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Try Twin Oaks airport near San Antonio.
http://www.fboweb.com/fb40/airport/T94.html

It's not unsafe if you are careful.

That's what they told Aryton Senna.

I can't help feel that you are totally paranoid of flying, and do not have
a good grip of the risks and risk management of flying.

From what I have read, you are not yet a pilot, but have it in your head
that you are going to be one, and have figured out the route you are going
to take to get there.

I don't think you have enough knowledge to accurately understand what
constitutes undue risk, or what is a reasonable risk, or even how to
approach learning about flying, and how to get into it. Yet you pronounce
some things, such as this airport as overly risky to live in, or to fly
into.

It appears as though the hangars and houses are close to, or over 150 feet
from the edge of the runway, but you feel they are too close.

There are many, many airports that have structures or natural obstacles much
closer than this one. Yet, airplanes land and takeoff from these places for
many years with no incidents. Occasionally there are problems, but that is
why you buy insurance. You might even have to decide to give the airplane
to the insurance company someday, if a particularly crappy incident happens
to you - if you take up being a pilot. Planes and houses don't grow on
trees, but they are much easier to replace than people.

I suppose you could say you are at a higher risk if you live within two
miles of any airport. Is it a reasonable risk? I think so.

Are the houses in the airpark in an overly risky location? No, I don't
think so. Are they at a higher risk? Probably, but most would say they are
at a reasonable risk level.

Flying will put you at a higher risk than many other activities in your
life. The rewards outweigh the risks, to the people that stay in it. You
can choose to live your life safe and boring, or live your life rich and
full of reward, and not be afraid of the somewhat higher risks. I know what
I choose, as do most of the flying folks in this group.

Try to keep a more open mind. Try to not come across as knowing everything
on the subjects being discussed, and learn from the knowledgeable people
here. You will need to learn which posters to ignore, of course, too, but I
think you know that.

Just try not to jump to conclusions quite so quickly. I think you will get
more, and better responses, and that you will learn more, too.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 11th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
WJRFlyBoy wrote:

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:05:59 -0500, Orval Fairbairn wrote:

I DO live on a residential airpark (We have about 600 planes) and it is
GREAT! The most noise comes from the yard maintenance people.

Today we had our annual Wings and Wheels event, with many formation
flybys, including 2 P-51 Mustangs, 3 SX-300s and many others.

See:
eaa288.org
http://www.sprucecreekowners.com/
http://www.scpoa.com/
http://fly-in.com/

Very nice, this is a different airpark animal. Homes aren't sitting on the
runway, nice tarmac, what's with the lake on approach?

THe lake is part of the stormwater management system and is also a water
hazard along the golf course. We have around 3000 people living at
Spruce Creek; homes are 1/3 taxiway access, 1/3 golf, 1/3 nature
preserve. Most taxiways are for airplanes only -- only 2 are combined
taxiway/street use. We have our own water/sewer system, so there are no
well/septic tank issues to deal with.

Runway is 4800x150, paved, lighted, with GPS approach.

EAA 288 mets here, in one of the guys' hangar -- we regularly get 75-100
attendees. We ahve something more than 30 RV's of various flavors
(mostly RV-8s) on the field.

When my wife and I were looking for a place to live, I bought the books
on airparks and easily separated out the places where we DIDN'T want to
live:

1.Those out in the boondocks where you have to drive an hour to get a
loaf of bread or a can of paint.

2. Those too small to defend themselves when the neighboring Philistines
start campaigning against the airpark.

3. Anything on wells/septic tanks.

4. Any where the residents don't OWN the runway.

5. No runway lights or who prohibit night operations (Lakeway comes to
mind).

6. Those with poor approaches.

7. Those with too many other restrictions (Ocean Reef comes to mind).

8. Too far from the beach. (Arizona is mostly beach, but the water is a
bit far away.)

Old March 11th 08, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

WJRFlyBoy wrote:
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:05:59 -0500, Orval Fairbairn wrote:

I DO live on a residential airpark (We have about 600 planes) and it is
GREAT! The most noise comes from the yard maintenance people.

Today we had our annual Wings and Wheels event, with many formation
flybys, including 2 P-51 Mustangs, 3 SX-300s and many others.

See:
eaa288.org
http://www.sprucecreekowners.com/
http://www.scpoa.com/
http://fly-in.com/

Very nice, this is a different airpark animal. Homes aren't sitting on the
runway, nice tarmac, what's with the lake on approach?

On the road, cars come at you at 100 mph - with the intent of
missing by 2 or 3 feet.

Old March 11th 08, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:20:58 -0400, Morgans wrote:

There are many, many airports that have structures or natural obstacles much
closer than this one. Yet, airplanes land and takeoff from these places for
many years with no incidents. Occasionally there are problems, but that is
why you buy insurance.

Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path? is the Subject, note the ?

You might even have to decide to give the airplane
to the insurance company someday, if a particularly crappy incident happens
to you - if you take up being a pilot. Planes and houses don't grow on
trees, but they are much easier to replace than people.

I suppose you could say you are at a higher risk if you live within two
miles of any airport. Is it a reasonable risk? I think so.

Two miles and 20 meters is entirely 2 different discussions.

Are the houses in the airpark in an overly risky location? No, I don't
think so. Are they at a higher risk? Probably, but most would say they are
at a reasonable risk level.

So what you are telling me is that it is a reasonable risk to live next to
a landing strip/field in relation for what convenience?

Flying will put you at a higher risk than many other activities in your
life. The rewards outweigh the risks, to the people that stay in it. You
can choose to live your life safe and boring, or live your life rich and
full of reward, and not be afraid of the somewhat higher risks. I know what
I choose, as do most of the flying folks in this group.

If you believe that life is rewarding based upon the level of risk you
take, I feel very sorry for you.

This comes from a risk taker of the penultimate degree.
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!

Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path? WJRFlyBoy Piloting 257 March 28th 08 02:26 PM
Airparks... .Blueskies. Owning 9 May 8th 06 04:14 PM
Airparks and clubs around Phoenix AZ ? gilan Home Built 3 March 9th 06 02:07 PM
Airparks near Austin TX TIm Gilbert Owning 14 October 3rd 05 03:18 PM
A New, New Direction for a Beaten Dead Horse Shawn Soaring 0 February 25th 05 02:57 PM