A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

AVier Display Pin-outs / Specifications ..

Old January 7th 20, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default AVier Display Pin-outs / Specifications ..

Does anyone have the pin-out diagram / specifications for the AVier navigation display unit? It's an old unit, and I'm looking for a suitable display for my Cambridge 302A data logger. A fellow club member gave me an AVier display to evaluate, but none of the cables provided with the AVier unit have a correct interface with the 302A, so I'm trying to manufacture an appropriate cable for this interface. The 302A data output is a 9-pin connector, and the AVier appears to be a mini-USB input connector. Thanks in advance for your help!

Boomer
Uber Fluggen (N16UF)
Old January 7th 20, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The DB-9 on the 302 is a standard RS-232 interface so if you want to connect it to any device like the Avier that is expecting USB you'll need to do a data conversion in between. Cumulus-Soaring sells their Goddard branded cables that will do this conversion. I think the website calls it a 302 to Oudie cable but I believe its the same thing - just a simple USB conversion.. The 302 RJ-45 port outputs I^2C so a similar conversion box could be built with an RS-232 to TTL converter and an Arduino if you wanted to get deep into the weeds. Are you in the USA? I have one of the Cumulus Goddard 302 to Oudie cables I don't need if you're interested in trying that route. Make me an offer.

Robert

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 10:13:47 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Does anyone have the pin-out diagram / specifications for the AVier navigation display unit? It's an old unit, and I'm looking for a suitable display for my Cambridge 302A data logger. A fellow club member gave me an AVier display to evaluate, but none of the cables provided with the AVier unit have a correct interface with the 302A, so I'm trying to manufacture an appropriate cable for this interface. The 302A data output is a 9-pin connector, and the AVier appears to be a mini-USB input connector. Thanks in advance for your help!

Boomer
Uber Fluggen (N16UF)

Old January 7th 20, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 8:13:47 AM UTC-8, wrote:

Boomer
Uber Fluggen (N16UF)

Boomer,

PM me at my gmail address. I have pinouts and wiring examples.

nimbus3mail
Craig
Old January 8th 20, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I've never had my 302 on an oscilloscope before to measure its outputs but I want to call out that a compliant RS232 standard device could have up to +/- 25 volts on its logic pins. Typical PC applications are in the +/- 5 to 13v range and I would guess the 302 will likely output around +/-5v. Therefore, if you directly stuff an RS232 line from the 302 into a USB device that expects 3.3v you run a risk of destroying the equipment. It may work forever. It may work intermittently. It may never work.

I've no idea what type of wiring examples Craig is sharing but if it doesn't include some sort of RS232 to TTL line level conversion I would run, not walk away.

RS

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 2:47:56 PM UTC-6, Craig Funston wrote:

Boomer
Uber Fluggen (N16UF)

Boomer,

nimbus3mail
Craig

Old January 8th 20, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 5:06:35 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I've never had my 302 on an oscilloscope before to measure its outputs but I want to call out that a compliant RS232 standard device could have up to +/- 25 volts on its logic pins. Typical PC applications are in the +/- 5 to 13v range and I would guess the 302 will likely output around +/-5v. Therefore, if you directly stuff an RS232 line from the 302 into a USB device that expects 3.3v you run a risk of destroying the equipment. It may work forever. It may work intermittently. It may never work.

I've no idea what type of wiring examples Craig is sharing but if it doesn't include some sort of RS232 to TTL line level conversion I would run, not walk away.

RS

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 2:47:56 PM UTC-6, Craig Funston wrote:

Boomer
Uber Fluggen (N16UF)

Boomer,

nimbus3mail
Craig

Hi Robert,

I was connecting to a V7 (S7) so RS232 wasn't an issue. The Avier (Vertica V2) uses an oddball 10 pin mini-usb. I'm happy to share the documentation I saved from the devices if anyone wants.

Craig