Tesla Model 3 and a glider

Old December 19th 19, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Tesla Model 3 and a glider

Jonathan St. Cloud wrote on 12/19/2019 12:47 PM:
On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 10:21:54 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
John Foster wrote on 12/18/2019 9:03 PM:

Following too closely is when there is not enough room for you to stop if the
vehicle in front of you stops suddenly. Anything else is BS. Show me the
traffic statute/law that requires leaving space between you and the next
vehicle for a semi truck to pull in-between you.

I don't know if there is a legal requirement to leave room for people enter your
lane ahead of you on a two lane highway, but as matter of courtesy and safety, I
routinely provide that space when I do not intend to pass the care ahead of me.
Courtesy - I don't want to impede drivers that are able to travel faster than I
can; Safety - so people are less likely to take the extra risk of having to pass
two or more vehicles at the same time. That's safer for them and the rest of us
that are nearby, or approaching.

Generally, this situation occurs when I'm in my motorhome, towing my trailer. I'm
already something a moving road block, so I try not to make it worse.

Real simple, leave 2 seconds distance between you and the target in front, works at any speed and will keep you within the law.

That's the minimum distance I use when I am trying to pass, or keeping up with the
car ahead in a busy traffic situation. It's not enough for a car to comfortably
pass me and pull in, and way too short for someone towing a trailer with a car to
pull in. That requires at least 3 seconds, probably more, and I usually use more.

Old December 20th 19, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 1:31:51 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

Here is the CA driver's handbook:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/web/eng_pdf/dl600.pdf

The ONLY place in it that they mention "following distance" (pg. 66) is when behind a motorcycle (pg. 76) - absolutely NOTHING about giving semi's space to pass you. If you did abide by what the CA trouper told my wife you would have to allow MORE than 3 seconds, and more like 4 seconds. Sometimes troupers make up laws on the fly and lump it into "careless driving"...

Old January 7th 20, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 12/13/19 2:19 PM, bertvaneyken wrote:
Is there anyone using a Tesla Model 3 to tow his/her glider regularly?

Curious about the impact on range and usability to go on (European) gliding holiday.

screw the Tesla, the Fisker Ocean is on the scene now. Features karaoke
on the HUD, and California mode for the windows. 300 mile range, 0-60
in 2.9 seconds.

Even better, solar cells on the roof are said to provide 1000 free
miles. They're a little vague, is that per day, per week, or during the
lifetime of the car?? I'd bet on the third option. If you run out of
juice on your way to Ely, you're not stuck, just slows you down a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0sMYhHUIP0
Old January 8th 20, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, January 6, 2020 at 10:03:57 PM UTC-8, kinsell wrote:
On 12/13/19 2:19 PM, bertvaneyken wrote:
Is there anyone using a Tesla Model 3 to tow his/her glider regularly?

Curious about the impact on range and usability to go on (European) gliding holiday.

screw the Tesla, the Fisker Ocean is on the scene now. Features karaoke
on the HUD, and California mode for the windows. 300 mile range, 0-60
in 2.9 seconds.

Even better, solar cells on the roof are said to provide 1000 free
miles. They're a little vague, is that per day, per week, or during the
lifetime of the car?? I'd bet on the third option. If you run out of
juice on your way to Ely, you're not stuck, just slows you down a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0sMYhHUIP0

It would be kinda nice to arrive DURING the soaring season.

Tom