Oximeters that are Sunlight Readable?

Old January 7th 20, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Oximeters that are Sunlight Readable?

Being a flat-lander I want to monitor my O2 blood saturation level during high altitude flights. I own one of the inexpensive OLED fingertip pulse oximeters ("Pulse OX") devices which works but for several annoying things;

1) It's finicky fingertip fitting makes it nearly impossible to keep properly aligned on my fingertip especially during flight.

2) It has an OLED display that is not have a bright enough to read during in direct sunlight (except maybe close under a rather dark cloud). I know that there are LCD versions that solve this problem but I still have #1 to contend with.

3) Making a reading falls into the push-a-button-to-start-a-reading-then-wait-a-long-time-and-keep-glancing-down-until-you-see-the-results-or-else-it-times-out category. Not very safe but I could live with it if the device was sunlight readable.

I trialed three models of a "wrist watch" type unit (about $30-$50). These solve #1. Failed for #2. Iffy for #3 as you still have to tap through some screens to start a reading.

I have been reading about the new Garmin Vivosmart 4 (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/605739) which I had high hopes for. About $130.

1) Solved as it is on my wrist not floating around the cabin.

2) May be a problem as the screen is OLED and unsure if it will be sunlight readable. I would think that Garmin would have a leg up on this concern.

3) Reading the manual the O2 readings can be automated ("...during Auto Pulse Ox Sleep Tracking: Allows your device to record up to four hours of pulse oximeter readings while you sleep."). Otherwise you have to do some taping to get to the right screen and to start a reading. I was really excited about the vibrating alarm feature but it seems to only be for heart rate, not O2. Combining the alarm with O2 readings would have been a WIN.

I will research the Garmin smart watches that contain an oximeter. These are in the $250-$400 range.

Anyone else done other research?

Thanks, John DeRosa (OHM Ω)
Old January 8th 20, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 3:37:50 PM UTC-8, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
[...]

I have a Wear02 pulse oximeter that seems to work well. It fits on the thumb and slides up out of the way. No problem with it moving around or being a fussy fit.

Its display is red numbers that can be seen okay in moderate light and the display is continuous. I don't have to tap it to get it to display.

It has a vibration alert for O2 range that is very easy to feel.

So far so good. I've tried several others and this one seems the best.

I bought it on Amazon but I don't know remember the price - around $120 I think.

Jim
Old January 8th 20, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

From my experience going through training in an altitude chamber, I know with absolute certainty that I will not recognize the onset of hypoxia. Therefore, I bought a Minolta Pulse/Ox with an audible alarm. I also use a probe that clips to my earlobe.

The advantages: 1) I can wear gloves. 2) Because of the audible alarm, I do not need to look at the display. (It is LCD so I have not had a problem reading it. I use non-polarized sunglasses). 3) It warns me before I become hypoxic. (I have it set to 95%.)

Disadvantages: 1) It was expensive (that was years ago so I would expect today's price for a similar device to be lower). 2) I sometimes get motion artifacts. 3) Bright direct sunlight on the sensor can interfere with the readings, so I either use a hat with ear flaps, or just put my hand over my ear when the sensor is facing the sun.

P9
Old January 8th 20, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

[...]

I looked into the Vivosmart and the reviews were discouraging:

https://smile.amazon.com/product-rev...ews-filter-bar