Glider Export from US

Old March 20th 05, 09:12 PM

Default Glider Export from US

What documents will my foreign buyer need in order to ship his new
glider in trailer from the US via roll on roll off car boat?

The buyer has already paid me. He will arrange and pay the overseas
freight.

I only want to get prepared for the handover to the freight forwarder
at the port.

Anyone with recent experience care to describe what documents the
shipping company requested?

Jonathan Gere

Old March 20th 05, 09:58 PM
Sam Fly

Jonathan, make sure you have a certificate of deregistration from FAA
and a certificate of airwothiness for export. You will probable need a
DAR for the latter. Without these two certificates the buyer will not
be able to register and receive an airworthiness certificate.

Sam Fly

Old March 20th 05, 10:54 PM
F.L. Whiteley

No recent experience.

Agree with Sam, but those go to the buyer, not the forwarder. Customs
clearance will happen on his end and his paperwork will determine what fees
are due. Not sure about the duty requirements at foreign ports. Wharf
fees, VAT (where applicable), and customs fees are his responsibilites.
Registering with the local aviation authorities has nothing to do with
shipping but those are the minimum must have documents for the buyer.
Logbooks also of course. You might have to show them your current FAA reg
and trailer reg or something to show that you are authorized to ship, and
possibly the bill of sale to the buyer or copies of same.

For ro-ro shipping, there may a 'tractor' fee since the glider trailer is
not self propelled. If the buyer is paying for all of the shipping, the
forwarders should have an order waiting when you drop it off. Unless
containered, you have already taken the greatest of LxWxH measurements of
the trailer. If not, they will certainly do this at drop off and determine
the rate. This will determine how many measuric tonnes (cubic meters) are
being shipped. Rate is based on port X measuric tonnes. IMVHO, containers
offer no more protection than ro-ro freight and the volume is less. Top
freight is cheaper than ro-ro, but more risky during storm seasons.

So which country is willing to pay more than a Yank for your ASW-20C?

Frank Whiteley

Old March 20th 05, 11:11 PM
Marc Ramsey

F.L. Whiteley wrote:
So which country is willing to pay more than a Yank for your ASW-20C?

Any country that has seen its currency greatly increase in value
relative to the US dollar, which at this point, is just about all of them...

Marc
Old March 21st 05, 08:49 PM
5Z

When I picked up my new ship arriving in Houston from Germany, I did a
careful inspection of the tailer for damage. And sure enough, one of
the external feet had been tweaked - probably due to a steep ramp
causing the bottom to scrape and catch on something.

So document the trailer's condition carefully when you drop it off, and
have the buyer do likewise.

These ships aren't built to handle our relatively long and low
trailers, so handling damage can easily happen.

-Tom

Old March 22nd 05, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Australia.

The FAA turned around a faxed request for de-registration in one day.

My local FAA office says the FAA doesn't do Export C of A's for foreign
built aircraft. I suppose the buyer will have to settle for the
original German one or have a condition inspection done on arrival.

Still not sure whether the folks at the port will want to see anything
beyond copies of the bills of sale, titles, and (de-)registrations.

Jonathan

Old March 22nd 05, 02:44 PM
F.L. Whiteley

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the replies.

Australia.

The FAA turned around a faxed request for de-registration in one day.

My local FAA office says the FAA doesn't do Export C of A's for foreign
built aircraft. I suppose the buyer will have to settle for the
original German one or have a condition inspection done on arrival.

Still not sure whether the folks at the port will want to see anything
beyond copies of the bills of sale, titles, and (de-)registrations.

Jonathan

That's one of the misunderstood points about export CofA's, from the US
perspective they are the original's from the country of manufacture and
apply to TC'd gliders, not experimental.

They will want to see the money;^)

OZ, eh? Makes some sense.

One more thing about ro-ro, if that's the routing. They will likely use
cargo straps to secure the trailer, as well as chocking the wheels. If there
are clearly hard points under the trailer skin, you might tape that info
over the hard points. If there are tie down rings, you might also point to
those. Take some pictures of the trailer condition before shipping.

Frank

Sport Pilot - School Won't Offer Gary G Piloting 38 February 16th 05 10:41 AM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM