UFO (Unusual Falling Object)

Old March 24th 06, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default UFO (Unusual Falling Object)

Gotta share this: Yesterday was a perfect soaring day here in the
Hudson Valley with NW winds and scattered cu's streeting at 6000+ feet.
I was out riding my bike and looking up at this sky, eating my heart
out and counting the days until I can fly again. Then I chanced to see
an object falling to the road in front of me -- not from a tree or
passing vehicle, but out of the sky. It was one of those lightweight
clear plastic containers with a hinged top, like for a quart of
strawberries. I've thermaled with leaves, plastic bags, newspaper,
etc. lots of times but this was the first time I witnessed a piece of
thermal-borne debris falling back to earth.

Old March 24th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Heavens ! I thought from the title it was Sullivan again...
See ya, Dave

Old March 24th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 24 Mar 2006 04:03:40 -0800, "Mike Yankee"
wrote:

Gotta share this: Yesterday was a perfect soaring day here in the
Hudson Valley with NW winds and scattered cu's streeting at 6000+ feet.
I was out riding my bike and looking up at this sky, eating my heart
out and counting the days until I can fly again. Then I chanced to see
an object falling to the road in front of me -- not from a tree or
passing vehicle, but out of the sky. It was one of those lightweight
clear plastic containers with a hinged top, like for a quart of
strawberries. I've thermaled with leaves, plastic bags, newspaper,
etc. lots of times but this was the first time I witnessed a piece of
thermal-borne debris falling back to earth.

A chap who'd flown the Southern California shearline once told me of
seeing a wooden peach crate...most interesting objects I've seen were
bits of burning straw from Kansas stubble fires.

rj