Which bird thermals the best?

Old November 15th 10, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Default Which bird thermals the best?

Frank Whiteley wrote:
White Storks. Although they can only fly about 30 miles on the flap,

Impressive glide also.

But as research has shown, they have no clue of the McCready theory:
http://infonet.vogelwarte.ch/upload/00544921.pdf
Old November 15th 10, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Nov 15, 3:59*am, Scott Alexander
wrote:
So in a recent conversation with a greatly experienced soaring pilot,
I was told that Buzzard's have terrible thermaling skills. I tend to
agree with this as it sure seems Buzzards don't get into the core and
stay there. The lesson learned was don't let Turkey Buzzard show you
where the core is, just let them lead you to the thermal.

I thought it would be interesting to ask you good people if anyone has
any knowledge on these issues. *Does anyone know which broad winged
birds have better or worse centering techniques that you can use to
your advantage?

SA

Red Tailed Hawks and their brethren seem to be the best at
thermalling, they have helped me numerous times.

Turkey Vultures are great for following, IF they are going up, once
they hit the thermal all hell breaks loose and they thermal in very
unruly groups. They seem to be really good at finding micro-lift
threads.

Swallows and Swifts don't seem to really "thermal", I suspect they
just get sucked straight up while chasing bugs............but I've
seen these guys many times at cloudbase bombing around like fighter
planes.

Soaring would be a lonely place without our raptor friends!

Brad
Old November 15th 10, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herbert kilian

On Nov 15, 5:59*am, Scott Alexander
wrote:
So in a recent conversation with a greatly experienced soaring pilot,
I was told that Buzzard's have terrible thermaling skills. I tend to
agree with this as it sure seems Buzzards don't get into the core and
stay there. The lesson learned was don't let Turkey Buzzard show you
where the core is, just let them lead you to the thermal.

I thought it would be interesting to ask you good people if anyone has
any knowledge on these issues. *Does anyone know which broad winged
birds have better or worse centering techniques that you can use to
your advantage?

SA

An excellent soaring bird has not been mentioned: the Sandhill Crane.
Although I have never soared with them, I watch hundreds of them per
flock migrating from and to N. Wisconsin and Canada over our Western
Chicago suburb each fall and spring. They wait for the right wind
direction and instability (which there is not much of especially in
fall) and climb/run as we do without batting a wing. They go into
formation while running but the flock is without structure while in a
thermal. They are magnificent large birds and their cries are very
distinct.

They are the first reliable sign in early to mid March that the Winter
is on the way out and their sights and sounds are very much welcomed.
Herb, J7
Old November 15th 10, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 11/15/2010 8:50 AM, Mike the Strike wrote:
Turkey Vultures...Snip...typically don't soar very high because they eat
carrion,

Which reminds me...why don't we see Turkey Vultures on commercial airliners
much anymore?
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Wait for it...
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Too many restrictions on carrion luggage!!!

Please...no need to thank me.
Old November 15th 10, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Nov 15, 9:08*am, John Smith wrote:
Frank Whiteley wrote:
White Storks. *Although they can only fly about 30 miles on the flap,

Impressive glide also.

But as research has shown, they have no clue of the McCready theory:http://infonet.vogelwarte.ch/upload/00544921.pdf

Neat paper.
Old November 15th 10, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Nov 15, 9:24*am, Bob Whelan wrote:
On 11/15/2010 8:50 AM, Mike the Strike wrote:

Turkey Vultures...Snip...typically don't soar very high because they eat
carrion,

Which reminds me...why don't we see Turkey Vultures on commercial airliners
much anymore?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Wait for it...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Too many restrictions on carrion luggage!!!

Please...no need to thank me.

Oh, MY, DOG! Yer' KILLIN' me!
Good one Bob
Old November 15th 10, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Bullimore[_2_]

One obvious master of the master class has not yet been
mentioned: the Frigate Bird.

I have seen them soaring over water on calm days, seen them
wings tucked forward and gliding well into a 35 knt wind. They are
on the wing all day, mate on the wing, not only are they the best
soaring birds by a LONG way, they have by far the best l/d. Just
look at their wing form - they are all about aspect ratio and going
places.

They not only out-soar all other forms of soaring birds, but steal
their food from them as well! (hence the name, also called Man o'
War birds).

Incidentally, having glid with pelligoons many times in the
Caribbean, I can vouch that pelicans and hang gliders have about
the same l/d and sink rate. However, they are much better at
diving into water, although I did try that once, but it is a hard way
to make a living.

anyway, Frigate birds rule!

bwBB

Old November 15th 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Berry[_2_]

In article
,
Scott Alexander wrote:

So in a recent conversation with a greatly experienced soaring pilot,
I was told that Buzzard's have terrible thermaling skills. I tend to
agree with this as it sure seems Buzzards don't get into the core and
stay there. The lesson learned was don't let Turkey Buzzard show you
where the core is, just let them lead you to the thermal.

I thought it would be interesting to ask you good people if anyone has
any knowledge on these issues. Does anyone know which broad winged
birds have better or worse centering techniques that you can use to
your advantage?

SA

Others have mentioned swifts. Here in the eastern U.S. they seem to me
to be the best tell-tale of a superior thermal.

One bird that has not been mentioned, but is a great indicator of a good
thermal, is the Anhinga. They are also known as the snake bird or water
turkey. In flight, they look like an arrow with high aspect ratio wings
attached. They are a water bird so are usually around the low, wet
places we sailplane pilots dread. I have only found them thermalling in
good lift. Look for them the next time a sadistic CD puts your course
line right down a river valley or across a swamp or lake.
Old November 15th 10, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Nov 15, 8:48*am, Herbert kilian wrote:

An excellent soaring bird has not been mentioned: the Sandhill Crane.

Very true, Herbert!

In Central/Eastern Washington State there's a big Sandhill Crane
migration every spring... We can hear the huge flocks on the ground
as they pass over our gliderport at several thousand feet - loud
conversationalists, they are!

I've never shared a thermal with one, but I've flown near them and
noticed they have an uncanny knack for finding shear-lines and
streets. Someday I'll figure out how to take advantage of those
myself... :-P

--Noel

Old November 16th 10, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

One obvious master of the master class has not yet been
mentioned: *the Frigate Bird.

They not only out-soar all other forms of soaring birds, but steal
their food from them as well! (hence the name, also called Man o'
War birds).

Well, another obvious bird not mentioned is the Albatross, which has
the highest aspect of all birds (higher aspect then Frigatebirds,
which hold the title for the lowest span loading, no doubt
contributing to their ninja-like agility...). Sorry Frigates, but the
Alby is the true unequivocal champion of *soaring, although in spirit
of the OP's question, the Frigatebird may out perform it in a
thermal ... Albatross circumnavigate the globe though, no doubt
expertly working thermals the rare occasions they're available, but
mostly use orthographic and different of modes of dynamic soaring (as
do Frigatebirds) for their constant open water X/C trips, living life
'on the wing' stopping only to raise chicks from time to time.

Frigatebirds are indeed amazing, and are definitely beautiful birds to
share the air with as well as to watch from the ground. So far I have
only soared with Frigatebirds, (Hawaii), but very much look forward to
the day I share the air with an Alby... (not the bronze statue,
although that'd be swell too

They're both Peligoonformes though

-Paul

Got Big Thermals? Bob D Soaring 14 July 29th 09 02:34 AM
Deadly Thermals!!!! JGalban Piloting 6 September 15th 07 03:30 AM
Using thermals to climb? Kees Mies Piloting 41 April 27th 04 02:29 PM
perfect thermals Mike Stramba Soaring 0 October 7th 03 07:09 AM
perfect thermals Mike Stramba Soaring 0 October 7th 03 07:09 AM