A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Home Built
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Jon Johanson stranded in Antartica....



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old December 11th 03, 05:23 PM
BllFs6
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

While 80 gallons or so of fuel may not be much...we must ask a few
things....

snip

That must have been SOME headwind to burn an extra 80 gallons. . .

Rich S.


The article doesnt seem to give the details....but i would guess its not so
much that the HEADWIND burned the whole 80 gallons so much as the fact the
headwind was gonna keep him from making it all the way....so once he reached
the halfway point....or so....and he turned around....so its probably like 10
to 20 percent of the fuel was due to headwind burning and the rest was just
normal fuel consumption...AND antartica has some of the strongest, most
consistent/continous head winds on the planet....due to its unique geographic
layout....

besides....i still say it was a boneheaded glory stunt that accomplished
NOTHING....and HAD already been done..and he apparently KNEW he wasnt
welcome....(which is WORSE than not knowing if he was/wasnt)....he failed to
plan properly....tough cookies....

take care

Blll

Ads
  #12  
Old December 11th 03, 05:52 PM
Anonymo421
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It's said to me that the ultimate obstavle to Jon's
flying over the pole is not headwinds, but $#%holes.


Chief among them being the one Johanson's head was up when he neglected to
cache fuel along his intended route....
  #13  
Old December 11th 03, 07:37 PM
Richard Isakson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

My brother over-wintered at Siple Station in Antartica about thirty years
ago. I called him today for his view on this. McMurdo Base is the main US
supply base for most US operations in Antartica. The New Zealand base is
"just around the corner, within walking distance". Most vehicles down there
run on diesel fuel but they would have some gasoline for Ski Doo type
vehicles. The main runway is built on sea ice and it will breakup within a
month. In January icebreakers will carve a path to McMurdo for supply ships
to get in but those ships are already loaded and on their way. Cruise ships
visit the area during the brief summer. My brother was surprised the they
made him sleep in the fuel shed. Even in the summer McMurdo has lots of
barracks space.

Shipping to Antrartica is very expensive. If he has to hire a Twin Otter to
fly in fuel, he might find it's cheaper to abandon the airplane there. My
brother thinks they're playing hardball just to keep others away.

Rich


  #14  
Old December 11th 03, 10:17 PM
Mike Borgelt
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:37:38 -0800, "Richard Isakson"
wrote:

My brother over-wintered at Siple Station in Antartica about thirty years
ago. I called him today for his view on this. McMurdo Base is the main US
supply base for most US operations in Antartica. The New Zealand base is
"just around the corner, within walking distance". Most vehicles down there
run on diesel fuel but they would have some gasoline for Ski Doo type
vehicles. The main runway is built on sea ice and it will breakup within a
month. In January icebreakers will carve a path to McMurdo for supply ships
to get in but those ships are already loaded and on their way. Cruise ships
visit the area during the brief summer. My brother was surprised the they
made him sleep in the fuel shed. Even in the summer McMurdo has lots of
barracks space.

Shipping to Antrartica is very expensive. If he has to hire a Twin Otter to
fly in fuel, he might find it's cheaper to abandon the airplane there. My
brother thinks they're playing hardball just to keep others away.

Rich


While I personally wouldn't fly a single engine airplane any great
distance over water I admire those who have the courage to do so.

So what is wrong with giving the guy the 80 gallons of gas and he buys
two 200 liter drums of gas in Christchurch and they fly them down in
the next C130 that has a little space available? Charge him for the
airfreight.

Don't tell me *every* C130 is at max gross or bulked out out of
Christchurch?

I think this is a good argument for abandoning the Antarctic bases.
After 50 years surely the human presence can be replaced by a few
automatic weather stations and satellite surveillance and we Aussies,
Kiwis and Americans get to save some taxes?

I think I'll write to my Member of Parliament urging the zeroing of
Antarctic funding. The damn place is of no economic benefit by
international agreement. Just a playground for a bunch of scientists
who probably don't want anyone else getting in on their sweet little
racket. Just like the NASA people. What we have had in both the
Antarctic and space is tourism with high entry barriers and
qualifications for the tourists.

Second Last thought - I wonder if he's sleeping in the fuel shed with
the right fuel in it?

Last thought - I hope I someday get the chance to refuse to help one
of these bureaucrats when he's in trouble and needs my assistance.

Mike Borgelt
  #15  
Old December 11th 03, 10:18 PM
Andrew Rowley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Jimmy Galvin" wrote:

You can offer all apologies all you want but only for yourself. Don't talk
for me. I feel that he took a chance for glory, self promotion, stupidity,
or whatever and ended up with his tit caught in the wringer. It is not up to
me and my tax dollars to bail his sorry ass out of the jamb he inflected on
himself. This goes for all those fools that climb mountains, trek through
caves, or go exploring in the woods relying on a GPS with 1/2 dead batteries
to guide them along. They should all just be left to their own devices and
hopefully receive a Darwin Award for their efforts.


Many people would say that applied to all pilots of light aircraft,
especially those who build their own. I know a lot of people think I'm
crazy...
  #16  
Old December 11th 03, 11:07 PM
Bart D. Hull
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I agree with Jimmy,

Sell him the gas at what it costs to get it there and don't support all the
fools in the world.

In Arizona we had all sorts of fools that would try to cross washes (normally
dry creek beds) right after a rainstorm. Dozens of people would get stuck
because they were too lazy to go around and find a bridge. Now the people
that get stuck are billed for the cost of whatever was necessary to get them
to safety and the tow bill on the car when the wash subsided.

Not too many people think it's WORTH IT now.

--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.


Jimmy Galvin wrote:

You can offer all apologies all you want but only for yourself. Don't talk
for me. I feel that he took a chance for glory, self promotion, stupidity,
or whatever and ended up with his tit caught in the wringer. It is not up to
me and my tax dollars to bail his sorry ass out of the jamb he inflected on
himself. This goes for all those fools that climb mountains, trek through
caves, or go exploring in the woods relying on a GPS with 1/2 dead batteries
to guide them along. They should all just be left to their own devices and
hopefully receive a Darwin Award for their efforts.
"Cam" wrote in message
...

On behalf of all normal Kiwi's . I appologise for our sick burocratic
politcaly correct government *******s (Bitches)
Cam..........



"John Ammeter" wrote in message
. ..

Jon Johanson, known for his round the world flights in his
RV-4 as well as flights to Oshkosh may have some trouble
getting out of Antartica....



http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...=10&u=/nm/2003

1210/od_nm/adventurer_dc








  #17  
Old December 11th 03, 11:31 PM
Russell Kent
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Mike Borgelt wrote:

Last thought - I hope I someday get the chance to refuse to help one
of these bureaucrats when he's in trouble and needs my assistance.


These days you never know who may be a bureaucrat or future bureaucrat.
Therefore, I refuse to help anyone in need of assistance. I would imagine that
puts me in the same company as BOb again. ;-)

Russell Kent

  #18  
Old December 12th 03, 12:47 AM
BlakeleyTB
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Jon speaks english...and isn't it the agenda of the U.S. to give the taxpayers
moneys to only non english speaking counties....that hate us???

And feeding Jon or giving 80 gallons of fuel to him would not give anyone near
the benefit as sending mice into space to see if thay copulate or if house flys
can fly in zero gravity or even having a "base" in the Antartic...( what is
the benefit??? )
  #19  
Old December 12th 03, 12:59 AM
Rich S.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"BlakeleyTB" wrote in message
...
Jon speaks english...and isn't it the agenda of the U.S. to give the

taxpayers
moneys to only non english speaking counties....that hate us???

And feeding Jon or giving 80 gallons of fuel to him would not give anyone

near
the benefit as sending mice into space to see if thay copulate or if house

flys
can fly in zero gravity or even having a "base" in the Antartic...( what

is
the benefit??? )


If he gets 80 gallons and a cheeseburger, I want mine too!

Rich "Taxes?" S


  #20  
Old December 12th 03, 01:15 AM
Rich S.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I remember flying over Los Angeles 30 years ago in my Ercoupe. I had flown
non-stop from San Francisco and was dreadfully low on fuel. I was also lost
in the smog. I could see the ground under me but everything around me was an
even brown-grey color. Finally, I spotted Disneyland! Yahoo!! Now to get to
Orange County. I set a compass heading and noted the time and speed.

After a few minutes the engine seemed to burp. Was this it? were the tanks
finally dry? Ahead of me, barely visible through the haze was El Toro Marine
Air Station. I called the tower and asked if I could land, describing my
plight. They said, "Sure, lil' guy, c'mon down. Of course, you'll have to
take that Ercoupe apart and truck it out. . . "

I went on to find Orange County (John Wayne to you kids). I told the tower I
was critical on fuel and they said, "Roger, you're number 17 on downwind."
Well, I made it to the ramp and actually had enough fuel that I needed to
kill the mags to stop that faithful little Continental. When the fuel truck
got done, I did the math. I had less than a gallon on board.

I hope Johanson brought his socket set with him.

Rich "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger" S.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.