Mountain Flying - Soaraspen.com

Old July 21st 19, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill G

Default Mountain Flying - Soaraspen.com

I just wanted to put out to the group that I have been offering scenic tours in my Stemme S-10V since 2015 from Aspen, Colorado. If you know anyone who comes here to visit or if you would like to get a chance to fly in a dense mountainous environment to practice or learn mountainous terrain cross country soaring techniques. Check out Soaraspen.com for more info. Perhaps someday we could organize a Stemme get together here in Aspen. There is fantastic soaring here in the summer as long as it doesn't OD too much, and if it does there are plenty of exciting things to do here. Typically the best soaring conditions without storms are in mid-late August until mid September.. But, throughout the summer there are also great days every week.

Sincerely,

Bill Gagen
Soaraspen.com
970-930-2100
Old July 21st 19, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

What do you charge for an hour of instruction? Is O2 available?
Old July 21st 19, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Sounds great.
Wish I still had my old job and would eat "daily costs" for my upkeep. Just to do something new.
I have pictures from western Denver a number,p of years ago.....I was watching Lennies stacking up north of me...I was working in a datacenter......sigh...
I am an eastern pilot, 10K' is getting high...Denver.....10K' is a good day MSL eastern.....sigh.....
Worth the training....
Old July 21st 19, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 10:23:17 AM UTC-4, Bill G wrote:
[...]

Is a tow plane available at all at Aspen? The SSA website doesn't say. Would be tempted to get a few orientation flights and then venture out in my own ship.
Uli
'AS'
Old July 21st 19, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill G

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 9:47:40 AM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
What do you charge for an hour of instruction? Is O2 available?

I do not do instruction per se, I can teach you mountain flying and cross-country techniques only, not instruction toward a rating or certificate. I charge $399 per hour.

Old July 21st 19, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 5:40:00 PM UTC-4, Bill G wrote:
No towplanes Sorry!

Thanks for clarifying that - too bad, because the area looks tempting!

Uli
'AS'

Old July 22nd 19, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Legal and ****ing off locals are 2 different things.
Sorta depends on dealings with airport owner and others up front.
Read the recent thread here on winching on a "general use airport"......decent communication can go a long way.
Heck, build in extra cash for an event to invite locals to a BBQ to chat and discuss. Can't keep them all happy, you just need a quorum.
;-)
Old July 23rd 19, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill G

On Monday, July 22, 2019 at 12:13:57 PM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Legal and ****ing off locals are 2 different things.
Sorta depends on dealings with airport owner and others up front.
Read the recent thread here on winching on a "general use airport"......decent communication can go a long way.
Heck, build in extra cash for an event to invite locals to a BBQ to chat and discuss. Can't keep them all happy, you just need a quorum.
;-)

There are jet departures/arrivals almost every couple minutes during high seasons. Imagine launching a glider at CHicago OHare, not much different here.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
US mountain flying Colorado [email protected] Soaring 0 April 12th 08 01:16 AM
Mountain/Canyon flying: CO/ID/UT! [email protected] Piloting 2 March 19th 08 05:00 PM
Mountain flying ASM Soaring 15 January 19th 08 07:23 PM
Mountain Flying Doug Piloting 3 November 9th 06 05:11 PM
Mountain Flying Course? Nicholas Kliewer Instrument Flight Rules 15 May 9th 04 05:29 AM