Flight Plan syntax

Old July 2nd 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
David Lindenauer

Default Flight Plan syntax

With the disappointing performance of FSS briefings lately, this
weekend I tried filing an IFR flight plan through DUATS for the first
time. I couldn't seem to find the correct syntax for what I know is
ALWAYS the first thing leaving my home airport:

"Farmingdale 3 Departure, radar vectors Bridgeport",

but it wouldn't accept "FRG.FRG3 BDR" or any variant I tried. I ended
up just filing "BDR" then the rest of the route, but does anyone know
the official syntax for what I know is what I'll get?

-Dave Lindenauer, N212MT at KFRG

Old July 2nd 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"David Lindenauer" wrote in message

With the disappointing performance of FSS briefings lately, this
weekend I tried filing an IFR flight plan through DUATS for the first
time. I couldn't seem to find the correct syntax for what I know is
ALWAYS the first thing leaving my home airport:

"Farmingdale 3 Departure, radar vectors Bridgeport",

but it wouldn't accept "FRG.FRG3 BDR" or any variant I tried. I ended
up just filing "BDR" then the rest of the route, but does anyone know
the official syntax for what I know is what I'll get?

I'd expect FRG3 to be the proper code for the Farmingdale Three SID but I
checked FAA Order 7350.7 just to make sure. I found there is no code
assigned to the Farmingdale Three. I suspect that is the problem.

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraff...bs/LID/L_R.htm

Old July 2nd 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler

David Lindenauer wrote:
With the disappointing performance of FSS briefings lately, this
weekend I tried filing an IFR flight plan through DUATS for the first
time. I couldn't seem to find the correct syntax for what I know is
ALWAYS the first thing leaving my home airport:

"Farmingdale 3 Departure, radar vectors Bridgeport",

but it wouldn't accept "FRG.FRG3 BDR" or any variant I tried. I ended
up just filing "BDR" then the rest of the route, but does anyone know
the official syntax for what I know is what I'll get?

Maybe this will help:

http://www.duats.com/duats_planner_doc.html

Section 4. Flight Planner Inputs -- Detailed Information

---begin quote---

If you wish to include SIDs (Standard Instrument Departures) and/or
STARs (Standard Terminal Arrival Routes) in your flight plan, you may do
so using the User Selected Routing choice. If you enter "%" at the
"Enter route" prompt, the flight planner will automatically determine
the names of SIDs, STARs, and nearby VORs for the selected departure and
destination airports:

Departure Point: SFO
Airport KSFO: San Francisco CA
Destination: ORD
Airport KORD: Chicago IL (Chicago O'Hare Intl)
Enter route: %
Standard Instrument Departures (SIDs) from SJC:
ALTAM6.ALTAM ALTAM6.LIN* ALTAM6.SAC*
DANV1.DYBLO* DANV1.LIN* DANV1.RBL* DANV1.SAC*
LOUPE8.DYBLO* LOUPE8.LIN* LOUPE8.RBL* LOUPE8.SAC*
MOONY1.AVE* MOONY1.MOONY MOONY1.PXN
SJC7.AVE* SJC7.MOONY SJC7.PXN
SUNOL3.ECA* SUNOL3.SAC* SUNOL3.SUNOL
VORs near SJC: SJC ECA* MOD SFO OSI OAK* PYE* SAC* LIN* SNS*
Standard Terminal Arrival Routes (STARs) to ORD:
BAYLI.BDF1* BDF.BDF1* IRK.BDF1*
DBQ.JVL2* JVL.JVL2 MCW.JVL2*
BSV.OXI2 DJB.OXI2* FWA.OXI2* OKK.OXI2 OXI.OXI2 VWV.OXI2
FNT.PMM2* PMM.PMM2* SVM.PMM2* TVC.PMM2*
VORs near ORD: ORD CGT GSH* GIJ* JOT* DPA PMM* OBK* BVT*
BDF* BAE*
"*" indicates a transition which may be used to enter or
leave the Jet Route system. (Do not enter the "*" as part
of the procedure name)

In this case, one might select the route:

Enter route: LOUPE8.LIN *J DBQ.JVL2

which would depart San Jose using the Loupe Eight departure, Linden
transition, then automatically routed via jet airways to Dubuque, then
via the Janesville Two arrival into O'Hare. The route produced by the
planner would be:

KSJC LOUPE8 LIN J84 DBQ JVL2 KORD

---end quote---
Old July 2nd 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

I always file through DUATS. I've never filed a SID. SIDs get assigned
by
the tower and/or tracon depending on what runway is in use and the
prevailing traffic flow and will get spliced onto the beginning of your
clearance no matter what you file.

At least that's the way it works for spam cans around here.

But SIDs and STARs can be filed. I filed two flight plans through DTC DUAT
an hour ago. One was from GRB to MSP, the route was EAU.EAU8; the other one
was MSP to GRB, that route was WLSTN1.WLSTN. DUAT accepted both of them and
both are now in the ZMP flight data computer.

I also tried to file a flight plan from FRG to BDR, the route was FRG3.
That prompted an error response from DUAT:

Please correct the following error or you can delete this request:
Invalid Route Element: FRG3

As I said in an earlier message no code has been assigned to the Farmingdale
Three SID. I'm confident that's the reason for the DUAT error response.

Old July 2nd 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
David Lindenauer

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 14:51:13 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

As I said in an earlier message no code has been assigned to the Farmingdale
Three SID. I'm confident that's the reason for the DUAT error response.

So there's no code because it's a vector as opposed to an actual
course?

Old July 2nd 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"David Lindenauer" wrote in message

So there's no code because it's a vector as opposed to an actual
course?

No, DUAT won't accept the input because there's no code assigned. Other
vector SIDs have codes assigned. The O'Hare One departure is a vector SID,
it has code ORD1.ORD assigned.

Old July 2nd 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Marco Leon

I've been trying to figure out a way to get that "cleared as filed" response
from FRG Clearance for years. I don't think there is a DUATs-friendly code
for the Farmingdale Three departure so I think the best we can get is the
"Farmingdale Three departure, Radar vectors Bridgeport/JFK, then as
filed..."

I've been tempted to call the tower at FRG just to ask them if they have
ever issued a "Cleared as Filed" clearance without mentioning F3.

Marco

OSH flight plan Dan Luke Piloting 3 July 23rd 05 03:33 AM
Flight plan hell, Tales of filing an ADIZ flight plan Michelle P Piloting 30 July 15th 05 06:28 AM
IFR Flight plan Hankal Instrument Flight Rules 9 September 16th 04 05:39 AM
Flight Plan and Flight Log excel spreadsheet. Marco Rispoli Piloting 2 January 14th 04 09:12 PM
Flight plan Hankal Instrument Flight Rules 15 October 11th 03 08:03 AM