SN-10 user

Old September 28th 09, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Default SN-10 user

I had a nasty land-out the other day, hit heavy sink while deep in the
mountains east of Williams, Ca. I lost 2500 feet in no time and found
myself below the mountain tops. Went to the 'Alternates' page on my
trusty SN-10 only to find I wasn't within gliding distance of any
listed alternates. I ran east following a canyon that lead to the
totally unlandable terrain east of Red Bluff. Down, down ,down I sank
maintaining about 1000 feet above the slope as I looked at nothing but
trees! Finally I flew over a small pasture that looked to be landable.
It had all my favorite attributes, short, bumpy, fenced, up hill with
trees on the approach end, but at the time, it looked lovely. Popped
the gear and turned down-wind at what looked to be about 800 feet,
pulled full spoiler just before the trees and cleared them by a good
10 feet. Flared with half spoiler and rolled about 10 feet when I hit
a mound that put the nose down hard (Genesis 2). I heard something pop
and then we were flying again. Pulled full spoiler and touched down
again and slid to a stop about 100 feet short of the fence. WOW, glad
that's over!
A few days later I checked my trace and found I was within easy
gliding distance of an airport (Ruth, Ca) when I hit all that sink.
Why didn't the SN-10 direct me to Ruth? Reading the manual, on page 21
it says; The 'A' attribute does not cause a point to appear in the
list of landable fields on the alternates page! Only points marked
with an 'L' for landable will be shown. Ruth was marked with an 'A'
only. Checking the local data bases I find Montague, Air Sailing,
Logan, Avenal, Hobbs and Parowan are all using 'A' without the 'L'
for landable airports.
Recommend everyone check to make sure the data base you are using with
the SN-10 has airports identified with an 'L' for landable attribure.
Cheers,
JJ
PS;The pop I heard on landing was a shear pin that fails when heavy
loads are placed on the nose wheel thereby preventing retraction loads
from being applied to the main gear. An easy fix after I located the
shear pin which is deep inside the nose wheel -well.
Old September 28th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 28, 2:02*pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:
[...]

RTFM, JJ!

Seriously, glad it was an easy fix - for both you and the glider.

By the way, that's why I have a PDA (SYM) in addition to my SN10 - All
my PDA shows is the task and landable airports, so I don't have to do
any page swapping when it starts to get sweaty...

Of course, the requirement to QC the database still applies.

Cheers,

Kirk
66
Old September 29th 09, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sep 28, 5:02*pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:
[...]

The "L" attribute is normally set by default for airports in the
databases I've seen - something funny is going on here.

HOWEVER: "L" is separate from "A" because:
- not all airports are landable, certainly not in larger-span gliders,
and
- other non-airport points in the DB can be landable.

You do need to check any database you load - whether into
an SN10, a PDA, or an electronic-picture-frame...

There are often errors in "official" databases.
Locally we have a listed airport that hasn't existed for a decade.
Bad news if you final-glide to this one.

Be careful out there,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"
Old September 29th 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Sep 28, 4:01*pm, Dave Nadler wrote:
[...]

I never fly anywhere without knowing beforehand the location of enough
landable fields or strips - a habit that goes way back before flight
computers and PDAs.

I guess flying a ship than can be cheerfully ground-looped without
breaking the tail off gives you a wider selection of non-landable
fields!

Mike
Old September 29th 09, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Ruf

The 'A' attribute does not cause a point to appear in the
list of landable fields on the alternates page! Only points marked
with an 'L' for landable will be shown.

If true that seems like an really bad design. When you are low you
need a friendly gps with answers, not a bunch of constraints. It
sounds like the SN-10 is not very useful without also having PDA and
moving map.
Chris
Old September 29th 09, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

[...]

Dave - Good luck trying to convince people this was a good decision.
It just appears to be contrary to how others interpret the meaning of
"L" and "A". This is not how I believe all Cambridge products have
used an "L" and "A" attributes, certainly not the C302/303 and I think
older Cambridge devices. With Cambridge effectively defining the
standard for this why was if felt necessary to use the reverse
interpretation that "A" does not imply "L"?

But JJ - the waypoint file for Williams on the Soaring Turnpoint
Exchange for the SN10 *does* have Ruth marked with an "L" attribute.
So why did it not show up for you? If you have been hand-editing the
file and removing the "L" or not working with the Turnpoint Exchange
SN10 file as a starting point then ya kinda burnt yourself (even if
the behavior is a bad design decision)

This can be one "interesting" area of the Mendocinos where we can be
flying in not over the mountains.

Darryl
Old September 29th 09, 11:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

[...]

Yikes! That sounds like a lot of sink! Glad it turned out.

Goes to show that even multiple thousands of flying hours won't
necessarily show you the worst of what mother nature is capable of
dishing out and even careful prep won't always protect you from
technical snafus that can put you in a pickle.

Best to have a Plan C in case Plan B doesn't work out...in Case Plan A
doesn't work out.

I think Dave meant if an airport is landable it should have both an L
and an A attribute. I assume the turnpoint exchange does the right
thing for each format/computer. The problem is most likely with the
originator of the waypoint file.

9B

Old September 29th 09, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

But JJ - the waypoint file for Williams on the Soaring Turnpoint
Exchange for the SN10 *does* have Ruth marked with an "L" attribute.
So why did it not show up for you? If you have been hand-editing the
file and removing the "L" or not working with the Turnpoint Exchange
SN10 file as a starting point then ya kinda burnt yourself (even if
the behavior is a bad design decision)

Yeah, I didn't like the Williams file, so I made up my own where an
airport is given an 'A' designator. That tells me to be looking for a
large complex as apposed to something with an 'L' which might be a
duster strip that looks more like a road. All (most) of these files
are based on Cambride where an A or L will do the same
thing.............see my proposed new Williams file where every
possible landing spot is given a big 'L'.
Cheers,
JJ
Old September 29th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Oops, I stand corrected the world-wide turnpoint exchange does show an
'L' for airports when downloading Ilec files. I was looking at my
Cambridge file for the local turnpoints. So there is no problem if one
uses the files from the turnpoint exchange, but keep this in mind when
making your own files.
Sorry,
JJ
Old September 29th 09, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum[_2_]

Thanks for the "heads up" JJ
--
Hartley Falbaum
USA "KF"

GA User fees Jose Piloting 48 December 24th 05 02:12 AM
User Charges Chris Piloting 3 October 8th 05 11:13 PM
ATC User Fees Larry Dighera Piloting 80 May 12th 05 07:20 AM
User Fees Dude Owning 36 March 19th 05 05:57 PM
New Lak-12 user group Chris Davison Soaring 0 January 16th 05 05:55 PM