New Poster - Rules?

Old January 15th 04, 07:10 PM
Kevin Fitz-Gerald

Default New Poster - Rules?

Hello,

This is the first time I have been to this newsgroup. What are the rules
regarding mentioning ("advertising") of aircraft-related services? I don't
want to offend anyone.

Regards,
Kevin

Old January 15th 04, 07:28 PM
Jim Weir

Kevin...

You will undoubtedly get your share of answers from the netcops who lurk about
these channels...here's how I play the game and it doesn't seem to draw TOO much
fire...

This is raHOMEBUILT. If you hang around for a while and try to help people who
have questions in your field of knowledge, then once in a while mentioning that
you have this or that part/service/business that pertains to homebuilt aircraft,
nobody is going to say much.

If, on the other hand, every answer you give is that the person should call you
to buy the part/service/business and start advertising parts for a Baron or a
Citation, then folks are going to get a little torqued.

Two good examples:

Jay Honeck owns an aviation theme hotel in Iowa. We have been following Jay and
Mary since they bought the place as somewhat of a wreck and have slowly been
building it up. Jay posts some pretty good flying stories and has some pretty
nice services that he gives for free, such as the recent compiling of 90+
museums that you can fly to, a gallery of regulars on the newsgroups, and the
political goings-on at his home airport. In return, every now and again Jay
will point out to one or more of us that it sure would be convenient if we would
stop in at his hotel and spend the night. Most of us, save a couple of newbie
netcops, think this is pretty OK.

I run a homebuilt avionics business. I'll answer most avionic/electrical
questions (as well as some A&P/IA questions) without mentioning the business.
However, when we have a new product, or I'm looking for beta testers for an
unreleased product, I'll mention that in these groups. Again, so long as the
vast preponderance of participation is helping, most of us don't mind the
occasional hucksterism.

Did that help?

Jim

"Kevin Fitz-Gerald"

-Hello,
-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old January 15th 04, 08:07 PM
Kevin Fitz-Gerald

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
news You will undoubtedly get your share of answers from the netcops who lurk
about these channels...here's how I play the game and it doesn't seem to
draw TOO much fire... Did that help?

Thanks Jim! Does it help? Umm...I think so. I have not built a plane
(yet), so I don't think I can add to any discussions. I did get my private
license in 1977. What I have is a 4' x 8' CNC router, CAD and CAM software
and experience using them. I just thought that somebody on this newsgroup
could use such services.

Regards,
Kevin Fitz-Gerald
Defiance, OH

Old January 15th 04, 10:17 PM
Paul Lee

Kevin,

One of the least obnoxous ways is to participate in news groups
by answering questions using your expertise related to your
service or product. On bottom you can have a signature
line with a brief mention of your product and website. Look at
my sample below (although I am not really advertising).

Paul Lee, SQ2000 canard project: http://www.abri.com/sq2000

Old January 16th 04, 01:35 AM
Richard Lamb

Kevin Fitz-Gerald wrote:

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
news You will undoubtedly get your share of answers from the netcops who lurk
about these channels...here's how I play the game and it doesn't seem to
draw TOO much fire... Did that help?

Thanks Jim! Does it help? Umm...I think so. I have not built a plane
(yet), so I don't think I can add to any discussions. I did get my private
license in 1977. What I have is a 4' x 8' CNC router, CAD and CAM software
and experience using them. I just thought that somebody on this newsgroup
could use such services.

Regards,
Kevin Fitz-Gerald
Defiance, OH

Hi, Kevin.
Welcome to the group.
Many (most?) of the posters here have not built an airplane either.
As to how many actually have a license? Dunno. Won't guess.
I think you are ahead of the game already.

Now, about the CAD CAM services?

Well, one can dream...

http://home.flash.net/~lamb01/dreams.htm

Richard Lamb
Old January 16th 04, 10:13 PM
Corrie

Welcome and thanks for asking first, Kevin. A really *bad* way to
introduce your business is to pose as a user of your product or
service and post a breathless review of it, telling all and sundry
that their lives are incomplete without it. (remember that guy?)

I'd been reading Jim Weir's posts for a couple of months (and gotten
very properly dressed down by him on one occasion when I engaged my
mouth before ) before I realized that he owned an avionics company.

Be around, be useful, be welcome.

--Corrie, saving up for a weekend at Jay's place....