I need a glider in trailer towed from NY to WA

Old December 27th 16, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default I need a glider in trailer towed from NY to WA

FWIW... I towed an L-23 in the standard-issue wedge-shaped enclosed trailer.. Once (as Michael Keaton said). It was a nice trailer, but it was by no means a pussycat to tow. At the time I had a Ford Explorer (1994 model), so a big, heavy truck-based SUV. The combined rig was approaching 7,000 lbs but the bigger problem was the surface area. Crosswinds and getting passed by semis induced a fair amount of uncommanded yaw and a lot of nervous moments. I wouldn't consider towing with anything under about 4,000 lbs curb weight and a very solid stance.

Erik Mann (P3)
Old December 28th 16, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Saturday, December 24, 2016 at 11:21:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 3:17:27 AM UTC-8, wrote:
As previously posted....

Uship.com

The bids I'm getting back are outrages. I could go out & back for the bids thus far.

most of your bidders have to go out and back. you also wouldn't be paying yourself, so of course you could do it for less. if you happen to find someone making the trip one way, thats great! i'd still give them $1,000 for their gas and trouble.

but if someone does it as a job for you, they need to be paid AT LEAST $2,000. and that's just factoring in gas, minimum wage for time in the 'pit, and ratty motels. no meals included.
Old December 28th 16, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 10:43:12 AM UTC-5, ND wrote:
On Saturday, December 24, 2016 at 11:21:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 3:17:27 AM UTC-8, wrote:
As previously posted....

Uship.com

The bids I'm getting back are outrages. I could go out & back for the bids thus far.

most of your bidders have to go out and back. you also wouldn't be paying yourself, so of course you could do it for less. if you happen to find someone making the trip one way, thats great! i'd still give them $1,000 for their gas and trouble.

but if someone does it as a job for you, they need to be paid AT LEAST $2,000. and that's just factoring in gas, minimum wage for time in the 'pit, and ratty motels. no meals included.

I also learned it would cost about $500 more to ship to the west coast from the east coast because there are more loads going to CA than from CA.

Also how good is your posting? I added a lot of details (including dimensions and weight)to ensure my bidders knew my trailer was very roadworthy with brand new tires and new spare tire.
If you have a large unroadworthy trailer [bad tires, bad bearings, poorly maintained or blows around in the wind a easily etc] then expect to pay more..

I posted a photo of a cobra trailer so the bidder knew what they were being asked to haul. I noticed that some other pilots have shown photos of the glider in flight! This tells the tuckers nothing about what their load is going to look like in or on the trailer and only makes it seem more exotic and raises more questions and scares off bidders.

Chris

Old December 28th 16, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Who reported this thread too get it flagged for abuse? Seriously?
Old December 28th 16, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 9:03:47 AM UTC-8, Paul Agnew wrote:
Who reported this thread too get it flagged for abuse? Seriously?

Triggly Puff and the special trailer tow Snowflakes maybe?
it IS wintertime after all you know......

(GK)
Old December 28th 16, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Monday, December 26, 2016 at 9:11:42 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
On Monday, December 26, 2016 at 8:03:44 PM UTC-6, wrote:
"Maybe you didn't understand my post. Â*I'm willing to pay a fair price to have it hauled out here. Â*I'm not asking for a hand out. Â*I thought the soaring community was about helping each other & supporting the sport? Â*Santa must have passed by your house on Christmas. Â*Cheers!"

Actually, you are the one that doesn't understand the problem. Hauling a trailer with a glider across the country in wintertime conditions is by no means an insignificant endeavor. It requires an adequate towing vehicle, a competent driver and at least four days of travel. So, 2,800 miles at about 16 MPG for a decent full-size truck to manage a big enclosed trailer, with no guarantee of the trailer condition. That's a minimum of 175 gallons of gas or diesel at (say) $2.25 per gallon. Three or four nights in a motel at (say) $100 per night. (Winter hotel rates go up with the anticipation of inclement weather and resulting forced stops.)Pick up the glider and trailer in Sarasota Springs, NY (which is probably not where the driver lives. Deliver it to Walla Walla, WA, where the driver probably isn't going.

And you "would like it to be delivered right after January 1." Well, good luck with that. "Helping with expenses" does not even approach the costs and hazards of towing an unknown trailer and glider across the country. Even If I was planning a trip from NY to WA with a big-ass pickup in the time frame you envision, I would at least expect $0.75 per mile. If I had to travel to get the glider and then deliver it to a location that is not my intended destination, that mileage and inconvenience would have to be factored in.

Soaring pilots are generally more than willing to support the gliding community, but you are not asking for that kind of help. You are describing a job more suited for a commercial long haul trucker. They have to maintain, insure and professionally operate their vehicles.

I hired professionals to deliver the glider trailers I used to build when the customer could not pick them up. The cost was at least $1.25 per mile, and that was for a small, empty trailer.

I still recommend Santa Claus, as you apparently still believe in him. I don't, but he made it to my house anyway.

Cheers.

for another sanity check data point on bids...i typically bid jobs around $1.00/mile for the round trip from my house to where the glider is to where the glider is going and back to my house. Maybe a little less for a nice new cobra trailer and a little more for something odd/old/heavy/big etc. An L-23 would definitely fall into the "little more" category. I live in wichita, ks so you can get on google maps and do the math.

too bad i couldn't tow it to you, and then you finish it off westward, eh?
Old December 28th 16, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Some pretty negative responses, must be Winter.
We've all read Charlie Spratt's epic trailer towing stories. If you haven't, the book * is well worth buying.

Valkyr:
As most would suggest (indirectly perhaps) could the move wait for better weather when people like Tony may be moving trailers in the other direction?
Loosening the schedule for Uship, etc could bring the quotes down considerably.
*See Ya At The Airport,
Jim
Old December 29th 16, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 3:19:57 PM UTC-6, ND wrote:
[...]

i don't mind relays. plus you'd get the first leg to test out the trailer

50 shades of grey glider, whose glider is that in the movie trailer SF Soaring 23 October 16th 14 05:10 AM
More boat-towed-glider WIG questions durabol[_2_] Home Built 4 July 21st 09 03:16 PM
shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer November Bravo Soaring 6 November 1st 06 02:05 PM
glider trailer Q Steve Leonard Soaring 1 August 28th 06 05:29 AM
Tow plane airspeed vs. glider being towed airspeed? MHende6388 Soaring 2 September 28th 03 09:35 AM