Oudie Supplemental Power Pack

Old September 27th 17, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Oudie Supplemental Power Pack

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 2:54:49 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
I'd think the RigRunner 4004-USB would be best for the job. 4x fused 12v outlets plus two USB ports, in a shielded case.
Jim
https://powerwerx.com/west-mountain-...unner-4004-usb

I wish they and other manufacturers would spec the USB power output. These could supply 0.5A up to 3.0A total or more and still be considered meeting a USB standard. I've seen some awful low actual power delivered from cheap USB adapters, I expect better than average quality from RigRunner but wish vendors would just clarify with specs.

And it's a reminder that modern small devices can draw significant power. As an example an iPhone 7 Plus has a 2.68 Ah battery at 3.8 V. Just charging that battery from flat, and assuming 80% charge efficiency will suck around 1 Ah of charge from a glider 12V battery. On top of whatever it takes to run the device at high screen brightness. Which reminds me I want to remeasure power use and charging of a few modern devices..... its pretty amazing the compact compute and power capacity we carry around nowadays.

I've got to replace the (not cheap/no brand) power supply in my truck, which struggles to deal with a flat iPhone 7 Plus.

Old September 28th 17, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 3:43:56 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
And it's a reminder that modern small devices can draw significant power. As
an example an iPhone 7 Plus has a 2.68 Ah battery at 3.8 V. Just charging
that battery from flat, and assuming 80% charge efficiency will suck around
1 Ah of charge from a glider 12V battery. On top of whatever it takes to run
the device at high screen brightness. Which reminds me I want to remeasure
power use and charging of a few modern devices..... its pretty amazing the
compact compute and power capacity we carry around nowadays.

Yep... My panel pulls around 1.7 amps sitting on the ground so assuming a couple of brand new K2 10Ah batteries I'd get a bit over 11 hours runtime. I was getting a lot less. After discovering one of my new to me, but several years old batteries was pretty much dead, I replaced with a pair of Craggy Aero LiFePO4 batteries. Still struggled to get more than 5 hours until I replaced my master switch with a high quality one.

I might be able to modify one battery compartment in my ASW-27 to take the 15Ah battery, but there's definitely no room on the other side. Would it be bad to run a big and small LiFePO4 in parallel? Let the BMS handle the taking the small battery offline after it's depleted? I also need to look into installing a tail battery since the wiring is all there so just need to find something that will fit.

Getting back on the thread, this is why I now power my iPhone with an external battery. It's easy and cheap insurance to keep my avionics going for the long flights I like to do.

5Z
Old September 28th 17, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Tom

Got to keep reminding myself you now fly a ASW27 not the (massive battery carrying) ASH26. Sorry I don't know for for sure with running those batteries in parallel, I'd check with Richard. I've always liked to run 2 x large batteries, 2 x 10Ah in the DG-303 or 2 x 17Ah in the ASH26E. I like having a roughly known clean reserve to switch to. With 10Ah/15Ah batteries I'd just run them by themselves, but thats personal preference not based on other reasons.

Darryl

Old September 28th 17, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Tom,

I used to run three SLA batteries in my LAK-17a.Â* To do that, I used TWO
SPDT switches and turned a fresh battery on before turning the depleted
battery off.Â* The charging current to the depleted battery was
insignificant during switching and was never a problem.Â* After switching
to LiFePO4 batteries, I eliminated the tail battery (replaced it with
lead ingots (in an aluminum box) and called it good.Â* Frankly, I never
had to switch batteries again after installing the lithium batteries so
I alternated batteries between flights.

But to your point - the tail battery compartment in your '27 ought to be
sized for a 9 or 10 Ah SLA battery and there are LiFePO4 batteries made
to the exact same size.Â* Of course, the weight is significantly less.

Dan

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 30th 17, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

What I have done is I have a USB charing port installed on the panel. This is used to charge an iPhone or iPad in flight and is powered by the ship's batteries, of which there are two, plus solar charger.

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 5:31:19 PM UTC-7, Roy B. wrote:
Friends:
I am looking for a supplemental power pack that is easily rechargeable, reasonably compact, and will run my Oudie for 5+ hours on a single charge. Any suggestions?
ROY