A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

motorglider engine test

Old November 25th 17, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default motorglider engine test

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 10:44:35 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I need to do a short test run on my ventus 2cxm engine. The fuselage is on its cobra dolley in my garage, and I can wheel it into my driveway and tie the tail to a post. I'm nervous about this, in case there is some pitfall I haven't considered. Has anyone done an engine test run like this?

Congratulations you are already part of the way there by posting about doing this online. You know this is not a good idea, asking for advice to try to make it a slightly less bad idea is not good. But if you do it please make sure you have somebody video this who is able to post the video of any accident on YouTube.

I've done and seen a lots of ground runs. Either in a professional built heavy duty steel engine stand (Williams Soaring) or with rigging the damn glider. If the later, tie the tail down to a heavy object like a pickup truck with nylon tow straps. Don't dick around with damaging expensive toys or risking people's lives.

I've also seen the aftermath of people walking into light aircraft propellors, which makes me awfully nervous about doing stuff like this.
Old November 25th 17, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

I need to do a short test run on my ventus 2cxm engine. The fuselage is on its cobra dolley in my garage, and I can wheel it into my driveway and tie the tail to a post. I'm nervous about this, in case there is some pitfall I haven't considered. Has anyone done an engine test run like this?

I've done it a few times, but you do need to think through the consequences.. I tied the tail off to something that wouldn't move, put some lumber through the spar box resting firmly on saw horses, and kept clear of the prop. Nothing bad happened and it didn't seem terribly dangerous. Once I did it with the tail tied to a stake in the ground and that wasn't immovable enough, so now I tie it to the truck or the forklift - both about 8000 lbs.

If you aren't completely sure about what you are doing, best to rig it.
Old November 25th 17, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BG[_4_]
external usenet poster

It is possible to do short engine runs in your configuration ( no wings) , but never with the prop installed. Remove the prop and this will work just fine. Coolant will be running through the engine but no air through the radiator so only short runs.

If you absolutely need the prop attached, install your wings!!! Newtons Laws of action and reaction will apply and roll your fuselage.

BG
Old December 3rd 17, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 9:06:48 AM UTC-8, BG wrote:

It is possible to do short engine runs in your configuration ( no wings) , but never with the prop installed. Remove the prop and this will work just fine. Coolant will be running through the engine but no air through the radiator so only short runs.

If you absolutely need the prop attached, install your wings!!! Newtons Laws of action and reaction will apply and roll your fuselage.

BG

I would NEVER run the engine w/o the prop - it has no load and will over-rev. Using saw horses and tying down the tail will work safely. I don't bother with the saw horses if I am only going to run it at a fast idle, which I did yesterday. The dolly and glider are on the back of the trailer. I run the engine (ASH26E) once a month to lubricate it. The test stand Rex has requires removing the engine from the glider - rigging the glider would be easier. Don't run it in your garage, however!

Tom
Old December 4th 17, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 11:08:41 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 9:06:48 AM UTC-8, BG wrote:

BG

I would NEVER run the engine w/o the prop - it has no load and will over-rev. Using saw horses and tying down the tail will work safely. I don't bother with the saw horses if I am only going to run it at a fast idle, which I did yesterday. The dolly and glider are on the back of the trailer. I run the engine (ASH26E) once a month to lubricate it. The test stand Rex has requires removing the engine from the glider - rigging the glider would be easier. Don't run it in your garage, however!

Tom

I'm looking at making a test stand, perhaps with a small dyno, to test a Hirth F10A engine for an ASK-14. I don't want to fine-tune the linkages on the 4 carbs inches away from a spinning prop. But I plan to do something more substantial than this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8mwZBY4O1g
which is downright scary.
Old December 4th 17, 07:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 7:23:09 PM UTC-8, wrote:

I'm looking at making a test stand, perhaps with a small dyno, to test a Hirth F10A engine for an ASK-14. I don't want to fine-tune the linkages on the 4 carbs inches away from a spinning prop. But I plan to do something more substantial than this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8mwZBY4O1g
which is downright scary.

Depending on configuration, might be easier to make a guard to go between you and the prop. Tip proof base with verticals to support wire fence material barrier or similar. You stand on part of the base so your weight adds to base stability. The guard must make it physically impossible to inadvertently fall into or contact the prop.