A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Winter Care

Old December 2nd 15, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Winter Care

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 12:08:38 PM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 8:05:02 AM UTC-6,

Mice seem to hate moth balls and really hate mint.
UH

Interesting, Hank. Kansas Mice don't seem to mind them. In fact, they chewed through a sock that was holding them in one sailplane at my field! I tend towards Bounce fabric softener sheets and spring traps if I think I have mice already in the trailer. As with any solution, YMMV.

Steve Leonard

You gots some bad ass mice out there!
UH
Old December 2nd 15, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike
external usenet poster

Default Winter Care

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 10:35:13 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 12:08:38 PM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 8:05:02 AM UTC-6,

Mice seem to hate moth balls and really hate mint.
UH

Interesting, Hank. Kansas Mice don't seem to mind them. In fact, they chewed through a sock that was holding them in one sailplane at my field! I tend towards Bounce fabric softener sheets and spring traps if I think I have mice already in the trailer. As with any solution, YMMV.

Steve Leonard

You gots some bad ass mice out there!
UH

I had a pack rat and mouse problem in my Ensign hangar until a rattlesnake moved in. I can recommend them - much better than poison or drier sheets! I have plenty on my lot - free pick-up from Tucson!

Mike
Old December 2nd 15, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergreg
external usenet poster

Default Winter Care

I use these. Work great and hold mutiple rodents. No poison needed. I keep one under my trailer and one inside. If you buy them by the dozen under the commercial tab the are very cheap.

VICTOR® TIN CAT® MOUSE TRAP
Old December 3rd 15, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
IA DPE
external usenet poster

Default Winter Care

Rattlesnakes... Like

I've heard of guys in colder climates putting a small heater in the trailer of their fiberglass glider during the winter.

What are everyone's thoughts on that? Is it necessary?
Old December 3rd 15, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default Winter Care

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 6:39:18 PM UTC-5, IA DPE wrote:
Rattlesnakes... Like

I've heard of guys in colder climates putting a small heater in the trailer of their fiberglass glider during the winter.

I wouldn't (assuming LCD displays, batteries & water/freezable items were removed beforehand)..... Why?

1-Warm air hold more moisture (thus raising potential relative humidity..... bad thing for corrosion, etc.)
2-More inviting for critters to "show up and winter out"..... why would you do that?

Typical "inside trailer temps" would change slowly with weather changes. Thus limiting shock crazing of gelcoat and other materials.

Just my thoughts.

[Have you ever smelled mothballs?????........ what did you do, spread it's wings?!]
sick humor.... sigh.....

[sorta a "head nod" to the comment Dennis made.... ;-)]
Old December 3rd 15, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston
external usenet poster

Default Winter Care

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 4:00:43 PM UTC-8, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Rattlesnakes... Like

I wouldn't (assuming LCD displays, batteries & water/freezable items were removed beforehand)..... Why?

1-Warm air hold more moisture (thus raising potential relative humidity..... bad thing for corrosion, etc.)
2-More inviting for critters to "show up and winter out"..... why would you do that?

Typical "inside trailer temps" would change slowly with weather changes. Thus limiting shock crazing of gelcoat and other materials.

Just my thoughts.

[Have you ever smelled mothballs?????........ what did you do, spread it's wings?!]
sick humor.... sigh.....

[sorta a "head nod" to the comment Dennis made.... ;-)]

Your point #1 works in your favor if you can make the trailer slightly warmer than the outside air you avoid having the moisture in the air condense on interior surfaces.

Craig
Old December 3rd 15, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler
external usenet poster

Default Winter Care

Rattlesnakes... Like

Of course its necessary silly.
You need to keep your rattlesnake warm!
Old December 4th 15, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

Default Winter Care

Darn! I just futzed around with a water
pipe heater when I could have just got a
reptile hot rock.

Remember your rattlesnake won't eat any
rodents unless it can find a warm spot to
digest. When finished digesting you have
to train your rattlesnake to do his business
away from the trailer. Good luck!

At 19:18 03 December 2015, Dave Nadler
wrote:
On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at

6:39:18 PM UTC-5, IA DPE wrote:
Rattlesnakes...
I've heard of guys in colder climates

putting a small heater in the
trailer of their fiberglass glider during the

winter.

What are everyone's thoughts on that?

Is it necessary?

Of course its necessary silly.
You need to keep your rattlesnake warm!

Old December 4th 15, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
external usenet poster

Default Winter Care

To minimize openings underneath your sailplane trailer, place a bright lightbulb inside and close the hatches. Works best in a dark hangar or in the evening. Roll under on a creeper with a piece of chalk or marker in hand. Mark anywhere you see light coming through the floor. Caulk or seal as needed. This will minimize the openings for the mice or snakes and reduce the road dust and water inside when trailering.

In my hangars I use Bounce fabric softeners generously (makes the sailplanes smell nice) and it seems to discourage mice. I've never had mice inside my sailplanes at Marfa, Texas, but a few inside my hangar. The Victor "Tin Mouse" humane aluminum box "one-way" trap works well although you need to release the critters at least two miles from your hangar. Recently upon releasing a mouse in the grasslands of the Marfa Plateau a Swainson hawk swooped down for a fast meal about 20 feet away from me!

I do not allow any food inside my hangars, ever. Gotta sit outside on my picnic tables for your peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or granola bars. No food trash or empty soda or Gatorade bottles are put in my hangar trash cans and no food inside the sailplanes except a banana or apple which can be tossed overboard in flight. No water bottles are ever left inside the sailplanes as I'm told mice can smell water, even in a container. Paper checklists and FAA aircraft certificates are encased in plastic sleeves. So no mice recently and hopefully no snakes in the hangars but ya never know. Interrupting the food chain seems to work.

Gotta go fly now.

Old December 4th 15, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Winter Care

Excellent advice!

On 12/4/2015 7:37 AM, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
To minimize openings underneath your sailplane trailer, place a bright lightbulb inside and close the hatches. Works best in a dark hangar or in the evening. Roll under on a creeper with a piece of chalk or marker in hand. Mark anywhere you see light coming through the floor. Caulk or seal as needed. This will minimize the openings for the mice or snakes and reduce the road dust and water inside when trailering.

In my hangars I use Bounce fabric softeners generously (makes the sailplanes smell nice) and it seems to discourage mice. I've never had mice inside my sailplanes at Marfa, Texas, but a few inside my hangar. The Victor "Tin Mouse" humane aluminum box "one-way" trap works well although you need to release the critters at least two miles from your hangar. Recently upon releasing a mouse in the grasslands of the Marfa Plateau a Swainson hawk swooped down for a fast meal about 20 feet away from me!

I do not allow any food inside my hangars, ever. Gotta sit outside on my picnic tables for your peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or granola bars. No food trash or empty soda or Gatorade bottles are put in my hangar trash cans and no food inside the sailplanes except a banana or apple which can be tossed overboard in flight. No water bottles are ever left inside the sailplanes as I'm told mice can smell water, even in a container. Paper checklists and FAA aircraft certificates are encased in plastic sleeves. So no mice recently and hopefully no snakes in the hangars but ya never know. Interrupting the food chain seems to work.

Gotta go fly now.

--
Dan, 5J