LS1-D

Old December 14th 15, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LS1-D

I am considering to buy a beautiful LS1-D. However, I have never had the chance to fly this ship, so I do not know anything about the glider regarding its flying characteristics. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to perform a test until April. Are there any people here that have experience flying the LS-D? Is it an easy glider to fly or does it need some time to get used to? Is it a pleasent glider to fly?

Thank you very much!

Maurits

Old December 15th 15, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hello Maurits,

I flew about 700 hours over ten years in a LS-1D. A fine glider with very nice handling. Roomy cockpit. Never had any problem with the all flying tail. Didn't do spins with it, but stalls never seemed impolite. The air brakes are a bit ineffective when fences and tree lines are coming your way, but good speed control on final will help with that. Typical poor 4 inch wheel brake. Easy to assemble and de-rig. All in one of the nicest looking gliders ever. I'll bet the claimed 38:1 LD is a bit exaggerated, but they had gliders to sell!
Flying an LS3 now. I miss the easier rigging of the LS-1, but really like the extra performance for different conditions afforded by the flaps on the LS3.

PS- The LS1 was my first glass glider after a Ka-6, and 20 years of hang gliding before that, so my impressions of that machine were similar to that of a stone age tribe discovering fire. My fondness for that particular glider may be a bit magnified by my previous soaring experiences, but I think you would be pleased to own one.

Best regards,

Ron Clark
Old December 15th 15, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 5:19:13 PM UTC-6, Maurits Hebels wrote:
I am considering to buy a beautiful LS1-D. However, I have never had the chance to fly this ship, so I do not know anything about the glider regarding its flying characteristics. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to perform a test until April. Are there any people here that have experience flying the LS-D? Is it an easy glider to fly or does it need some time to get used to? Is it a pleasent glider to fly?

Thank you very much!

Maurits

I second what Ron said, flew that type back in Germany launching on the winch. The only negative I would report is it does not like flying in rain, much like most of the early glass ships. Laminar flow area goes to zilch and the stall speed really goes up.
Herb
Old December 15th 15, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Not sure about the D model for sure, which I believe only to be a slightly modified C, but my C only had a CG hook which is a consideration if you are a low time pilot.

Also, be aware that on some gliders (although not all, and there doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason), its possible to connect the horizontal tail upside down, which is not good because its not a symmetrical airfoil. That being said one owner was apparently flying with the tail upside down for many years before becoming aware of it.

Otherwise, it was a perfect first glass glider. I had 20 or so hours in a G103 and Duo before flying it, and had no problems.

Old December 15th 15, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Horizontal tail upside down? On a T-tail? Dude, you'v gotta stop smoking that grass...

Bert
Ventus cM TW
Old December 15th 15, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 3:53:31 PM UTC-6, Tango Whisky wrote:
Horizontal tail upside down? On a T-tail? Dude, you'v gotta stop smoking that grass...

Bert
Ventus cM TW

Seen how the tail installs on an LS1? All flying surface. Slides on front to back on a single stub/driver sticking out of the front of the vertical fin. It is nothing at all like your Ventus tail.
Old December 15th 15, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 12/15/2015 3:02 PM, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 3:53:31 PM UTC-6, Tango Whisky wrote:
Horizontal tail upside down? On a T-tail? Dude, you'v gotta stop smoking
that grass...

Bert Ventus cM TW

Seen how the tail installs on an LS1? All flying surface. Slides on front
to back on a single stub/driver sticking out of the front of the vertical
fin. It is nothing at all like your Ventus tail.

Long before Colorado legalized pot, I installed the slab/T-tail on my Zuni
upsidedown once (similar to LS, but with two pins)...then wondered why I had
difficulty getting the two indicating-safety-ing pins to indicate all was
well. Turned out, it *could* be gently forced aft until the indicating pins
snapped into the "safetied" position...but to do so definitely required
noticeable installation/aft force, when proper installation was essentially
force-free. Also, the fore and aft stick motion would've been restricted due
to the cross-sectional shape of the horizontal stab's vertical stab cutout.
Still, it was a thought-provoking experience...

Bob W.
Old December 16th 15, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

The tail is attached with a single bolt screwed in from the bottom. The receiving threads on the pivot arm run through the top to bottom. If you flip the tail upside down you can potentially screw the bolt from the top. PIREPs say this has been done.
Old December 16th 15, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yep, the all flying horizontal can be installed upside down. Maybe "Wrong-way Ray" will chime in here!

Ron Clark
Old December 16th 15, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Well, I stand corrected!

Bert