Libelle spoilers

Old September 9th 16, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boom Powell

Default Libelle spoilers

Are any other Libelle fliers having difficulty extending the spoilers. Mine have become very stiff, sometimes requiring two hands to unlock.
Old September 9th 16, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There's an old procedure called lubrication, try it and you'll be amazed at the results!
Old September 10th 16, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 09 Sep 2016 15:50:33 -0700, johnsinclair210 wrote:

There's an old procedure called lubrication, try it and you'll be amazed
at the results!

My H.201 got lubed during its last inspection (medium viscosity oil on
all bearings in the boxes and also, because both wings felt a little
stiff, on the bearings in root ribs and was nice and free. Then, for a
variety of reasons it didn't get rigged or flown until mid August. After
assembly positives showed that the brakes were virtually solid. Sliding
the wings apart let me check each wing separately. I have a special tool
fabricated from 3mm wall thickness alloy tube and a 10mm solid rod
because that makes routing maintenance easier. One wing was as expected,
but the other was very stiff indeed, but opening and closing that brake
several times made it less stiff and a shot of oil on the root rib
bearing made it nice an free again. Since then its remained rigged but
last week I noticed it was tending to stiffen up again.

I've had my Libelle, s/n 82, so balsa skins and top and bottom brakes for
10 years and this is the first time I've had her stiffen up like this.

Is this a known problem for 201s?

Am I using the right lubricant?

I used oil rather than grease since getting the latter into the root rib
bearing would be rather difficult without surgery.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 10th 16, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Thanks, JJ. So lubrication is the secret!
Something like LPS1 perhaps?
http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/560
Unsure if it's available in Britain.
Jim
Old September 10th 16, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 09 Sep 2016 17:35:08 -0700, JS wrote:

Thanks, JJ. So lubrication is the secret! Something like LPS1 perhaps?
http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/560 Unsure if it's available in
Britain.
Jim

Yep, LPS1 is available here via Amazon, though at about four times the
price of a similar sized can of WD-40. Is it really 4 times better?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 10th 16, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 8:35:09 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
Thanks, JJ. So lubrication is the secret!
Something like LPS1 perhaps?
http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/560
Unsure if it's available in Britain.
Jim

For gummy bearings I have found that a 1:1 mixture of light oil(3 in 1) and Marvel Mystery oil does a very good job of penetrating and softening up old dry lube. I use a small hypodermic needle to apply it.After operating to work some of the old crap out, lubricate with original type lube.
I don't like any kind of spray lube for the simple reason that it gets all over stuff that it was not intended to get on. Try to do a repair with spray lube crap all over.
FWIW
UH
Old September 10th 16, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There is a gear box on the root rib that changes rotational input to push-pull output that drive the spoilers. I remember one bird that I was unable to free up this gear box. The gears are inside a fiberglass box..........the only way I could see to get some lube in there was to drill a 2mm hole in the fiberglass box. Worked like a charm.
JJ
Old September 10th 16, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 8:50:47 AM UTC-4, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 09 Sep 2016 17:35:08 -0700, JS wrote:

Thanks, JJ. So lubrication is the secret! Something like LPS1 perhaps?
http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/560 Unsure if it's available in
Britain.
Jim

Yep, LPS1 is available here via Amazon, though at about four times the
price of a similar sized can of WD-40. Is it really 4 times better?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org |

You are --way-- better off with an old school pump oiler with a flexible spout and a needle oiler. Between the two you can lubricate anything on the glider that needs it... and nothing that doesn't.

-Evan
Old September 10th 16, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Sep 2016 17:35:08 -0700, JS wrote:

Thanks, JJ. So lubrication is the secret! Something like LPS1
perhaps?
http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/560 Unsure if it's available
in Britain.
Jim

Yep, LPS1 is available here via Amazon, though at about four times the
price of a similar sized can of WD-40. Is it really 4 times better?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org |

You are --way-- better off with an old school pump oiler with a flexible
spout and a needle oiler. Between the two you can lubricate anything on
the glider that needs it... and nothing that doesn't.

I've got both, as it happens. I also have my doubts about getting useful
amounts of either LPS1 or WD40 into the (rotary) airbrake bearing in the
Libelle's root rib. As you say, a hypodermic oiler will do a better job.

As far as the spray lubes go, I'm more curious to know, given the
relative costs, why I should pay 5.8 times the price per litre for LPS1.

Amazon wants GBP 20.50 for a 312ml (11 fl.oz) can of LPS1 but only GBP
4.50 for a 400ml can of WD-40.

Is LPS1 really six times better than WD-40 or merely six times the price?
Enquiring minds want to know.

As it happens, my disposable Modelcraft hypodermic oiler will be going to
the field next time I fly - and tomorrow looks likely.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 10th 16, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 06:54:50 -0700, johnsinclair210 wrote:

There is a gear box on the root rib that changes rotational input to
push-pull output that drive the spoilers. I remember one bird that I was
unable to free up this gear box. The gears are inside a fiberglass
box..........the only way I could see to get some lube in there was to
drill a 2mm hole in the fiberglass box. Worked like a charm.
JJ

Thanks, JJ. I knew there had to be a rotary-to-linear converter somewhere
in the wing and I had wondered where it is and how it worked.

Using an oilcan to put a bit of oil on the end of the bearing where the
shaft enters the root rib worked last time in the workshop so I'll try
the same trick again.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Spoilers, no spoilers? Amine Piloting 39 February 14th 08 02:37 AM
Flaps/spoilers on which sailplanes? [email protected] Soaring 11 December 31st 06 01:12 AM
spoilers vs. ailerons [email protected] Piloting 36 August 8th 05 11:24 AM
Frozen spoilers stephanevdv Soaring 0 November 4th 04 05:24 PM
L-13 Spoilers Scott Soaring 2 August 27th 03 06:08 AM