Vacation and Add-on

Old December 23rd 16, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Vacation and Add-on

Looking to get a glider add on rating through a commercial school to do it quickly. Nothing near by me suits this so I must travel.

Reading through this forum I could use some pointers of where to train.

Planning on taking a week of vacation, buying airline tickets for the family so I need certainty that this is the right decision. I don't want to get down there and find out it's a bust.

Gatlinburg seems nice with Chilhowee, but how reliable is the weather in this area?

Seminole Lake in Orlando seems iffy after reading reviews of the owner in jail. Nice resorts in the area for cheap, but will it for sure be operating in 6 months from now?

Dillingham in Hawaii looks awesome, but will that kind of flying prepare me for soaring in the 48 states given it's an island?

Any solid recommendations where I can have a luxurious vacation and get an add on rating in 2-3 days.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
Old December 23rd 16, 08:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Search this newsgroup for "Seminole"

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!se...U/9yUUltjgLQAJ

The only reservation that I would have about training at Seminole Lake in June 2017 is that my personal preference runs towards cooler temperatures, lower humidity, and less intense Sun..

June-July is very pleasant at http://www.sugarbush.org/ Dry 80s during the day and 50-60s at night.

http://www.madrivervalley.com/ for accommodations and activities. Great food, craft beer, and lots of outdoors activities, Golf, tennis, hiking, waterfalls, swimming, mountain biking, rock climbing (indoors and outdoors) but nothing like Disney etc.. Burlington and Montpelier are great day trips.

Old December 23rd 16, 10:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 11:35:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I fly with "Miami Gliders," a commercial operation at Homestead General Airport (X51) in Sourhern Miami-Dade County. Owner is an Airline Pilot and a Designated Pilot Examiner. The Primary Instructor is a retired Air Traffic Controller. They have two Blanik L-23's and a Pawnee Tow Plane.

If you prepare before your trip and are reasonably proficient and the weather is normal, getting an add-on is possible in a week. There is also a good Sky Diving school on the field, and rental planes are available. You can stay on Miami Beach or in the upper Florida Keys (Key Largo) but we do have traffic so you will spend time driving. Lots of festivals and special events here for family in January and February and Everglades and Biscayne National Parks are close.

I recommend you take enough time to actually learn to thermal. Most days have some lift - at least for an hour or two. Without learning to actually soar your glider add-on is just a merit badge that allows you to take a sled ride down from tow release. Google "Miami Gliders" for lots of info online.
Old December 23rd 16, 11:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marfa is another option. Reliable weather and scenic beauty. Family amusements are not going to complete with Orlando, but nowhere will for little kids. The national park on the Rio Grande is beautiful.
Between Gatlinburg, Chattanooga and the mountains there are for a number of options so how many family entertainment near Chilhowee.
Old December 23rd 16, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 10:35:47 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Seminole-Lake Gliderport is a wonderful operation to pursue your glider add on goal. We provide training in 2 L-23 Blaniks, 1 Grob 103, and a PW-6. We have 3 Pawnees as towplanes. Located just 20 minutes from Disney, Universal Studios, Sea World, and other major tourist areas, your family will not mind you being gone during the day. We have airline service from both Orlando and Tampa airports so a direct flight is possible from many areas of the US. There are accommodations on the airfield available on-site but your family may want to take advantage of the hotels located at the parks.

We have 2 individuals that seem to post very negative comments about the operation and a quick call to anyone in the soaring community will dispel any concerns you have.

Being in Florida we enjoy the weather many wish they had during this time of year. Although summer is hot, this time of year is perfect for soaring. Our best cross country weather is from November thru the second week of June. We can accommodate you training at any time except 2 weeks in March when we host the Senior Soaring Championship (largest single class sailplane race in the US) and the US Sailplane Grand Prix (a sailplane race that is a qualifier for the World event). Please view this short video to look at our facility. https://youtu.be/9R35sOl9Xyw Hope to meet you at Seminole-Lake Gliderport.

Rich Owen
Vice President
Seminole Flying and Soaring
Old December 23rd 16, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

See my FREE Checkrides at Marfa, Texas post further down on this group.
Old December 23rd 16, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

With a lot of personal prep time and studying beforehand, I did my Comm-glider add-on in three days with Franklin Burbank at Citrus Soaring. We had blocked out more days, but I was able to get my solos done all on Day 2.

The training was excellent, rates competitive, and Florida weather near perfect. Close to Orlando, Daytona, and the Space Coast for the family.

My highest recommendation...

www.citrussoaringclub.com

Paul A.
Treasure Coast Soaring Club

Old December 23rd 16, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

I recommend Williams, just north of Sacramento. You train in ASK 21 and can solo in ASK 23. The gliders are all in like new condition. First class instruction, great people, very professional operation. Weather is perfect for training during the winter -- no thermals to bump things around on most days, though you might get a valley thermal day or wave day to give you a glimpse of what lies ahead. It's easy to fly to sacramento or SFO and drive up. Plus a quick jump to wine country, SF, or tahoe if you want a day or two off.

John Cochrane (BB)
Old December 24th 16, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

[...]

Where are you located? An add on rating in 2-3 days sounds pretty unrealistic to me, unless you have some experience flying gliders.
Old December 24th 16, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

There's a world of difference between a "glider add on at a commercial operation"
and a commercial add on to a glider rating.

good luck,
Scott

Oregon vacation JJS Piloting 11 May 27th 06 08:41 PM
What this pilot did on his summer vacation Roger Long Piloting 11 February 24th 06 08:15 PM
vacation w/ Kids Robert M. Gary Piloting 16 June 3rd 05 08:05 AM
What I did on my summer vacation Jim Burns Instrument Flight Rules 14 July 9th 04 02:52 AM
What I did on my summer vacation Jim Burns Piloting 14 July 9th 04 02:52 AM