WinPilot-compatible GPS devices

Old January 8th 04, 06:23 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 17:36:19 GMT, "Ted Wagner"
wrote:

Since my original posting on this topic, I've purchased an HP iPaq 5555 and
a NavMan 4400 wireless GPS. I've got those two working great together on the
ground, but have yet to test them in the air.

I haven't yet flown with them because I currenty fly rental sailplanes,
usually a Pilatus B-4, where there's no mount for the iPaq. It's easy to
tuck the GPS receiver somewhere (or even leave it in my pocket), but I have
no place to put the iPaq.

Does anyone make a device that lets me wear it on my leg, above me knee?

I made a mount (for GPS, not an IPAQ but the principle is the same)
from 6mm (1/4") ply that attached to the camera mount in a club glider
and that worked just fine.

A fellow club member made a thigh mount (again for GPS but should be
quite possible for an IPAQ too) from 6mm (1/4") ply, a little scrap
wood, some webbing and Velcro. She said it worked really well.

You could make either in well under a day plus a little time for the
paint to dry.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old January 8th 04, 07:24 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

Thanks for the referral Marc.

Ted, I suggest the following assembly.
RAM-B-SCMK-CO1, $52.80

You can see photos and order one at: http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/ram.htm
You select the RAM-HOL-CO1 cradle from a list of options when you order the
RAM-B-SCMK.

You can buy the parts for a little less at gpscity.com, but I would ask you
to support your friendly glider parts dealer who has taken the time to
select and stock the right parts for glider pilots.

Thanks,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring Supplies

"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
"Ted Wagner" wrote:
Does anyone make a device that lets me wear it on my leg,
above me knee?

Please don't do that, it makes the rest of us nervous when your head is

down
in the cockpit, looking at a screen.

What have other pilots done in this situation?

I'd suggest using a RAM suction cup mount with one of their PDA holders.
They can be mounted on the canopy securely and without damage, if you are
careful. Total cost for all the pieces should be around $50. See:

http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/index.htm
http://www.gpscity.com/

Marc

Old January 8th 04, 07:58 PM
Marc Ramsey

"Paul Remde" wrote...
You can buy the parts for a little less at gpscity.com, but I would ask

you
to support your friendly glider parts dealer who has taken the time to
select and stock the right parts for glider pilots.

Always a good idea. Then again, he could buy the parts from gpscity and
send me a check for $10, thus supporting a friendly glider pilot who gives
advice when he should be doing real work 8^)

Marc

Old January 9th 04, 02:21 AM
David

Ted,

I wear a home made knee board kind of thing. It's just cobbled
together from sheet aluminum, velcro-tape and a velcro-belt.

Here are a couple pictures:
http://www.utahisp.com/dlane/DSCN0633.jpg
http://www.utahisp.com/dlane/DSCN0636.jpg

As far as looking down too much... don't. I mean, it's a matter
of training. I had to train myself not to stare at the instruments.

David

"Ted Wagner" wrote in message ews.com...
Since my original posting on this topic, I've purchased an HP iPaq 5555 and
a NavMan 4400 wireless GPS. I've got those two working great together on the
ground, but have yet to test them in the air.

I haven't yet flown with them because I currenty fly rental sailplanes,
usually a Pilatus B-4, where there's no mount for the iPaq. It's easy to
tuck the GPS receiver somewhere (or even leave it in my pocket), but I have
no place to put the iPaq.

Does anyone make a device that lets me wear it on my leg, above me knee?

What have other pilots done in this situation?

-ted

"Jim Kelly" wrote in message
u...
The iPaq H5xxx models have a larger display than any of the other
current iPaqs. However they have inadequate audio sound level. The
H3xxx models also had the large display and had good audio. Look for
a H3950 or the new H5150. '

Regardless of the iPaq model you will need one of the Boxwave
"Cleartouch" antireflective films as sold by Craggyaero.com, along
with an efficient 5v power supply from the glider battery. A mouse
type GPS could be useful, like the Garmin G35HVS (12 volts).

Paul Remde has a good selection of bits and advice on his site
http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/

Cheers,

Jim Kelly.

"Ted Wagner" wrote in message
| Can anyone familiar with the WinPilot product tell me whether my

DeLorme
| Earthmate GPS Receiver (with DB-15 serial interface) will work

with it?

| If not, what advice would you offer regarding iPac (or other

pocket PC)

Old January 9th 04, 03:06 PM
Tim Mara

don't quit your day job :-)
tim
"David" wrote in message
om...
Ted,

I wear a home made knee board kind of thing. It's just cobbled
together from sheet aluminum, velcro-tape and a velcro-belt.

Here are a couple pictures:
http://www.utahisp.com/dlane/DSCN0633.jpg
http://www.utahisp.com/dlane/DSCN0636.jpg

As far as looking down too much... don't. I mean, it's a matter
of training. I had to train myself not to stare at the instruments.

David

ews.com...

Old January 9th 04, 04:42 PM
Eric Greenwell

David wrote:

Ted,

I wear a home made knee board kind of thing. It's just cobbled
together from sheet aluminum, velcro-tape and a velcro-belt.

Here are a couple pictures:
http://www.utahisp.com/dlane/DSCN0633.jpg
http://www.utahisp.com/dlane/DSCN0636.jpg

As far as looking down too much... don't. I mean, it's a matter
of training. I had to train myself not to stare at the instruments.

Wow, I hope you did a good job of training. That's an awful lot going on
in your lap. I hope you figure out a way to combine things into one
instrument (maybe a PDA with a GPS card on it) that you can mount on the
canopy ledge or with a suction cup.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old January 10th 04, 12:08 AM
David

Hey, come on! Oh well, beauty is in the eye of
the beholder. Probably couldn't sell many of em.

As for complexity...

Yeah I guess. Though all flight computers (even those mounted
on the panel) are possible accidents waiting to happen, if you
want to be cynical.

I fly club gliders so I can't mount anything permanantly.
I've tried the nice Ram mount thing with the suction cups
without success.

David

"Tim Mara" wrote in message ...
don't quit your day job :-)
tim

Old January 10th 04, 12:16 AM
David

Hey, come on! Oh well, beauty is in the eye of
the beholder. Probably couldn't sell many of em.

As for complexity...

Yeah I guess. Though all flight computers (even those mounted
on the panel) are possible accidents waiting to happen, if you
want to be cynical.

I fly club gliders so I can't mount anything permanantly.
I've tried the nice Ram mount thing with the suction cups
without success.

David

"Tim Mara" wrote in message ...
don't quit your day job :-)
tim

Old January 10th 04, 12:33 AM
Eric Greenwell

David wrote:
Hey, come on! Oh well, beauty is in the eye of
the beholder. Probably couldn't sell many of em.

I thought the leg thingie was good solution for the question "how do I
strap everything onto my leg". I've seen a lot worse, and it looked kind
of elegant. Wrong question, though.

As for complexity...

Yeah I guess. Though all flight computers (even those mounted
on the panel) are possible accidents waiting to happen, if you
want to be cynical.

At least it's in your scan for ASI and other instruments, and your eyes
see more of the outside when you are using something on the panel,
rather than your leg.

I fly club gliders so I can't mount anything permanantly.
I've tried the nice Ram mount thing with the suction cups
without success.

Yeah, suction cups suck (sorry). I liked another poster's solution of a
small ball mount on the panel of all the club's gliders, so a club
member just needs a RAM or similar mount with his PDA that clamps onto
it. I'll bet your club would let you do that on the glider you normally
fly, and maybe you could talk them into paying for it, too. Convince
them it's a safety thing (it is!). The ball mount is pretty cheap, anyway.

--
-----

Old January 10th 04, 12:40 AM
Tim Mara

sorry....I couldn't resist....
but seriously, look at some of the other options....we offer a GPS mouse
that connects to the ipaq and with the FlywithCE Navigator that's all you
need for Navigation and glide calculations and then you simply need a small
mount for the iPaq and a power source .....look at
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/lx_nav...ies_for_ip.htm it really
is a simple and cheap way to go that does everything very well.....and
doesn't need a lot of fabrication :-)
tim

"David" wrote in message
om...
Hey, come on! Oh well, beauty is in the eye of
the beholder. Probably couldn't sell many of em.

As for complexity...

Yeah I guess. Though all flight computers (even those mounted
on the panel) are possible accidents waiting to happen, if you
want to be cynical.

I fly club gliders so I can't mount anything permanantly.
I've tried the nice Ram mount thing with the suction cups
without success.

David

"Tim Mara" wrote in message

don't quit your day job :-)