A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

dittle fsg 71M squelch issue

Old September 25th 17, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default dittle fsg 71M squelch issue

Hi all, am having an issue with my new to me dittle radio. worked fine for two flights now on startup it breaks squelch for a while even with the switch set correctly. it lasted about 15 minutes then went normal. The next flight it only did that for 5 minutes. after reading the manual it says nothing about being able to adjust auto sq setting. Is there a way to increase the auto squelch? or could the internal battery be getting low? I did the usual turning of stuff to rule out interference from other equipment.
Old September 25th 17, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Just a guess, but some radios have a squelch adjust pot that's reachable
with a small screw driver.Â* Look for a small sticker covering the hole
in the case of the radio behind the panel.Â* Note: I've seen two pots on
some radios and I don't know what the other one is for.Â* Hopefully you
can slide the radio out of the panel and attempt to adjust the pot while
connected and turned on.Â* Mark the original location so you can return
the setting if it doesn't work. It might also be a good idea to talk
with an avionics shop that is familiar with the radio and/or find a
maintenance manual for it.

On 9/25/2017 8:51 AM, wrote:
Hi all, am having an issue with my new to me dittle radio. worked fine for two flights now on startup it breaks squelch for a while even with the switch set correctly. it lasted about 15 minutes then went normal. The next flight it only did that for 5 minutes. after reading the manual it says nothing about being able to adjust auto sq setting. Is there a way to increase the auto squelch? or could the internal battery be getting low? I did the usual turning of stuff to rule out interference from other equipment.

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 25th 17, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MN50
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 7:51:25 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Walter Dittel had a service bulletin, N0. 20/97 regardting the auto squelch.. There is a copy of the bulletin on DG Flugzeugbau that shows the location of the said potentiometer.

http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/Data/TN.../1997-20-e.pdf

MN

Old September 25th 17, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MN50
external usenet poster

Correction - DG service bulletin
Old September 25th 17, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

....And I just recalled that the other pot is for side tone which is
unimportant unless you use a headset.

On 9/25/2017 10:49 AM, MN50 wrote:

Walter Dittel had a service bulletin, N0. 20/97 regardting the auto squelch. There is a copy of the bulletin on DG Flugzeugbau that shows the location of the said potentiometer.

http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/Data/TN.../1997-20-e.pdf

MN

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 25th 17, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gianni Isotope
external usenet poster

Have you by any chance added additional instruments recently, such as a flight computer or electronic vario? Noise from the cabling can cause your radio to break squelch, often intermittently. I had this problem with my Dittel FSG71M after installing an LXNAV S80 and Nano. It went away after rerouting the new cables farther from the radio.

Old September 25th 17, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hi MN, I cant seem to find the pdf file you specified it took me directly to there tech notes section for the gliders. And they may have renamed/numbered I found nothing with 1997 or 20 on it.

And no I havent added anything new. I will try and turn my phone off next time it happens as that was the only thing I didnt try.
Old September 25th 17, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 11:34:15 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi MN, I cant seem to find the pdf file you specified it took me directly to there tech notes section for the gliders. And they may have renamed/numbered I found nothing with 1997 or 20 on it.

And no I havent added anything new. I will try and turn my phone off next time it happens as that was the only thing I didnt try.

The old FSG71M is particularly bad at rejecting noise from other instruments.
I'm having similar issues with a 71M and LX V3 vario.
A current radio would fix it.
Jim
Old September 25th 17, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 5:38:30 AM UTC+10, JS wrote:
On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 11:34:15 AM UTC-7, wrote:

The old FSG71M is particularly bad at rejecting noise from other instruments.
I'm having similar issues with a 71M and LX V3 vario.
A current radio would fix it.
Jim

As Gianni commented, breaking squelch as described is very likely to be noise issuing from another device. (FLARM devices typically take up to 15 mins for first GPS initialization, 1 to 5 mins to locate satellites and update microSD card).

If you wind your squelch up to reject the initial interference then the radio will obviously then permanently reject all weaker transmissions as well.

Short term, it might be better to switch on early and wind speaker volume down initially.
Long term, you need to determine if the Dittle radio's squelch setting has drifted or some device is radiating interference.

Often each device is radiating a bit of interference, some more than others.. When it finally gets annoying / breaks squelch it is hard to determine which one is causing the most interference.
I have found that holding a hand-held aviation band radio (with squelch off / set very lightly) next to the instruments / wiring / microphone stalk is quite revealing. Often interference varies between radio channels. (Does the same squelch problem happen if you change radio frequencies?).

I have had success reducing squelch breakthrough from instruments using the following methods - Tightening screw terminals, cleaning / reseating connectors and fuseholders, reseating radio in cradle, replacing dodgy power switches, replacing end of life batteries, routing radio wiring away from nav wiring, ensuring the radio is on its own fuse and not sharing with nav gear, ensure radio and nav ground/negative wiring is really good, clipping ferrite noise suppressors onto suspect cables. (The clip-on ferrite noise suppressors are remarkably good, especially if you have enough wire to get 2 or 3 turns of wire through them). Be VERY careful if unplugging cables, it is very, very easy to let the smoke out if you plug them back in incorrectly.

Display panels, powerbanks and 12 to 5v converters are frequently very noisy.
Panel mount USB cables and microSD card sockets sometimes cause problems, try removing the cable / card if not vital.

Good luck, radio interference is a hard one, it often gets worse every time we introduce more distractions into our cockpit. As Jim suggests, modern radios have been designed to reject noise from modern instruments, older radios may benefit from having ferrite suppressors clipped onto the radio and nav gear leads.
Max
Old September 29th 17, 09:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The pot is R428, value 1k. Sorry don't have a pic but you'll find a link to the circuit on this page:

http://strato.co.nz/pik20/dittel/dittel.html

As others have indicated, make sure nothing else is causing too much external noise. Cheers JR