Glider cockpit size

Old November 29th 17, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider cockpit size

Even for smaller pilots, current cockpits are usually too snug.

I'm normal build and 5'10" so I have no trouble fitting in my Ventus 2cM, and its comfortable, but I can't move much and little stowage space. I always have more 'stuff' than places to stow it where I can reach it. There is space behind the backrest, but I can't reach things there. Things stuffed down the cockpit sides tend to become invisible and unreachable in flight especially since arm movement is very restricted. The side pockets are narrow and already filled. I typically fly with 'stuff' lying on my chest (headset, map, sunglasses, cellphone, peebag, checklists, snacks).

Another comment: I once developed cramp in flight. It was extremely painful since I could not move in a way to relieve it.
Old November 29th 17, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 4:05:54 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Even for smaller pilots, current cockpits are usually too snug.

I'm normal build and 5'10" so I have no trouble fitting in my Ventus 2cM, and its comfortable, but I can't move much and little stowage space. I always have more 'stuff' than places to stow it where I can reach it. There is space behind the backrest, but I can't reach things there. Things stuffed down the cockpit sides tend to become invisible and unreachable in flight especially since arm movement is very restricted. The side pockets are narrow and already filled. I typically fly with 'stuff' lying on my chest (headset, map, sunglasses, cellphone, peebag, checklists, snacks).

Another comment: I once developed cramp in flight. It was extremely painful since I could not move in a way to relieve it.

You could always get a cabin class glider like the Waco CG-4A. It could even be customized with a bathroom in back and a small galley for snacks. And maybe a dirt bike in case you have to land out in the boonies. Better tell the Pawnee pilot you want at least 70 on tow though.
Old November 29th 17, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Not a dirt bike, a Polaris Ranger, so you can self-retrieve.

--
Dan, 5J

Glider cockpit size Steve Muhli Soaring 21 November 28th 17 09:04 PM
Glider cockpit size Branko Stojkovic Soaring 0 November 28th 17 06:20 PM
Dg600 cockpit size [email protected] Soaring 2 September 21st 16 11:09 PM
Discus 2a cockpit size EdByars Soaring 1 March 18th 10 03:37 AM
Discus 2a cockpit size Stephen[_3_] Soaring 7 March 17th 10 05:57 PM