A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Glider cockpit size

Old November 29th 17, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Glider cockpit size

Even for smaller pilots, current cockpits are usually too snug.

I'm normal build and 5'10" so I have no trouble fitting in my Ventus 2cM, and its comfortable, but I can't move much and little stowage space. I always have more 'stuff' than places to stow it where I can reach it. There is space behind the backrest, but I can't reach things there. Things stuffed down the cockpit sides tend to become invisible and unreachable in flight especially since arm movement is very restricted. The side pockets are narrow and already filled. I typically fly with 'stuff' lying on my chest (headset, map, sunglasses, cellphone, peebag, checklists, snacks).

Another comment: I once developed cramp in flight. It was extremely painful since I could not move in a way to relieve it.
Old November 29th 17, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 4:05:54 PM UTC-8, wrote:

I'm normal build and 5'10" so I have no trouble fitting in my Ventus 2cM, and its comfortable, but I can't move much and little stowage space. I always have more 'stuff' than places to stow it where I can reach it. There is space behind the backrest, but I can't reach things there. Things stuffed down the cockpit sides tend to become invisible and unreachable in flight especially since arm movement is very restricted. The side pockets are narrow and already filled. I typically fly with 'stuff' lying on my chest (headset, map, sunglasses, cellphone, peebag, checklists, snacks).

Another comment: I once developed cramp in flight. It was extremely painful since I could not move in a way to relieve it.

You could always get a cabin class glider like the Waco CG-4A. It could even be customized with a bathroom in back and a small galley for snacks. And maybe a dirt bike in case you have to land out in the boonies. Better tell the Pawnee pilot you want at least 70 on tow though.
Old November 29th 17, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Not a dirt bike, a Polaris Ranger, so you can self-retrieve.

On 11/28/2017 7:21 PM, jfitch wrote:
On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 4:05:54 PM UTC-8, wrote:

You could always get a cabin class glider like the Waco CG-4A. It could even be customized with a bathroom in back and a small galley for snacks. And maybe a dirt bike in case you have to land out in the boonies. Better tell the Pawnee pilot you want at least 70 on tow though.

--
Dan, 5J