Paint removal from canopy?

Old November 29th 17, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

Default Paint removal from canopy?

Is there a solvent that will remove rattle can paint without damaging the plexy?

Boggs
Old November 29th 17, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 12:04:05 PM UTC-5, Waveguru wrote:
Is there a solvent that will remove rattle can paint without damaging the plexy?

Boggs

Nope. Too risky.
Try scratch removal type polishing compound first. If there is any wax or polish on it you may well find this will get it off(thinking over spray). If thicker, see if you can chip it with your finger nail. Beyond that you may be into sanding. I'd start at 1500 with a block tat just covers the area, followed by finer grits up to 4000 or 5000, then polish.
Good luck
UH
Old November 29th 17, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 12:04:05 PM UTC-5, Waveguru wrote:
Is there a solvent that will remove rattle can paint without damaging the plexy?

Gary, unless it is Latex, almost any paint contains some solvent(s)
that attack plexi. This means a spot is not just on the surface, but
has damaged the plastic below the surface. You may end up having
to remove more material than you like to get rid of the "spot"...

Hope that helps,
See ya, Dave

PS: Before touching a real canopy, grab some scrap plexi, and spray
a few spots with the offending paint. Then test removal...
Old November 29th 17, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Is there a solvent that will remove rattle can paint...

Sawzall.
Old November 29th 17, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 11:56:35 AM UTC-6, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 12:04:05 PM UTC-5, Waveguru wrote:
Is there a solvent that will remove rattle can paint without damaging the plexy?

Gary, unless it is Latex, almost any paint contains some solvent(s)
that attack plexi. This means a spot is not just on the surface, but
has damaged the plastic below the surface. You may end up having
to remove more material than you like to get rid of the "spot"...

Hope that helps,
See ya, Dave

PS: Before touching a real canopy, grab some scrap plexi, and spray
a few spots with the offending paint. Then test removal...

Excellent advice Dave, I have omitted a practice step on a lot of things, canopy crack repair being one example. I could have had dramatically better results had I practiced on sample material.

A few years ago a non-glider guy rattle canned a Cessnas wing tips in the hangar and over sprayed my glider. the faintest misting from 30 feet, but resulted in a dappled surface detectable by feel. As I had refinished this particular glider only a few years before, I was quite ****ed. however in desperation, I tried 'clay barring', I followed the instructions and was both amazed and relieved as it removed the tiny spots of paint, restoring a smooth surface. If the overspray on wavegurus canopy is a continuous coat "clay barring" won't help, but if it is a misting of tiny paint drops it's worth a try. I had great results.

Good luck,
Scott.
Old November 29th 17, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I removed the canopy paint by carefully using a bevelled edge chisel, chipping off the paint bit by bit. Took a while, nur worked perfectly.
Old November 29th 17, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Basically agreed.

NO solvents!
Period.

Use an old credit card to remove the bumps, make sure plexi is clean, almost can't use too much water.....
Then start at 1500 WET......wet......not a double print, just emphasis.......
Work your way up from there.
Around 3000 grit WET, you can compound (finish cut grade) and then wax.
Old November 29th 17, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Try an automotive detailing clay bar (with detailing spray or just some dish detergent in water as a lubricant). It'll work, or not, depending on the adhesion of paint to substrate, but if it works it will solve your problem in minutes.

best,
Evan Ludeman

Old November 30th 17, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

Anybody ever try Brasso?

Boggs
Old November 30th 17, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 3:43:17 PM UTC-8, Waveguru wrote:
Anybody ever try Brasso?

Boggs

Believe you've got the Ballso.
It smells like there are solvents in Brasso.
Jim

Canopy Ejection and Canopy Lanyard Casey[_2_] Soaring 6 April 12th 16 05:09 PM
Rust removal? noel.wade Soaring 22 March 2nd 09 07:22 AM
Adhesive removal [email protected] Soaring 8 May 2nd 06 02:37 PM
Trailer paint removal Chris Davison Soaring 13 September 3rd 04 10:42 PM
Removing paint from canopy Jason Restoration 4 November 12th 03 10:22 PM