Vintage Pfieffer trailers?

Old November 30th 17, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Vintage Pfieffer trailers?

To anyone whom can help,

I just acquired a DG101g a few weeks ago, and when the a-hole left, he did not give me the keys. When asked he said he put them in the front of the trailer, but nothing there, and claims they are not in his pockets.
So after looking at the glider, I closed the back door thinking it was unlocked. It is locked, do not understand that, but can't get it open. So now have a glider that I can't do any winter work on because I can't get into the trailer and the fuselage is a tight fit out the front.
I have a vintage Pfieffer trailer. Hoping you might have a matching trailer? Keys? Let me know! Thanks!

I know keys come in many different shape and sizes, but these are original locks as I know, and hope there are a limited amount of choices for the vintage Pfieffer. Suggestions welcome?

-Brian
Old November 30th 17, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 4:50:22 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Thanks, Dan!

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 6:42:17 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Seriously, it shouldn't be too difficult to cut, punch, or break the
locks.Â* I don't see that there's any "antique value" to them.

--
Dan, 5J

Oops, replied to the wrong thread.

Eagle:
Believe the Pfeiffer locks are Volkswagen parts.
Should be an easy blank to find. A locksmith should be able to get you up and running.
Jim
Old November 30th 17, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Jim (JS) is correct about VW parts. You can get new parts from Vintage VW parts retailers. If you have access from the front it is possible to send a small person to the back to allow you to unscrew the locks (Don't ask, been there done that. Glad we had someone's grandkid on hand). Often the rear door locking mechanism is worn and pulling on the door will allow the latch to open.
Old November 30th 17, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If replacement VW locks are cheap drill out the old lock. Drilling is the easiest way to open locks without collateral damage. Might be cheaper than going through a locksmith and fussing with the original.
Old November 30th 17, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

They're incredibly simple to pick. In a pinch it can be done with a bent paperclip and a small blade type screwdriver. Use the screwdriver to put a light amount of torsion in the unlock direction and then take the lock pick (bent wire) and run it along the tumblers, pushing them away from the centerline of the lock. The tension will keep them from slipping back into place. 15 seconds work if you're experienced.

I'm sure there's a YouTube that shows all the gory details

Craig
7Q
Old November 30th 17, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 6:19:27 PM UTC-8, Craig Funston wrote:
They're incredibly simple to pick. In a pinch it can be done with a bent paperclip and a small blade type screwdriver. Use the screwdriver to put a light amount of torsion in the unlock direction and then take the lock pick (bent wire) and run it along the tumblers, pushing them away from the centerline of the lock. The tension will keep them from slipping back into place. 15 seconds work if you're experienced.

I'm sure there's a YouTube that shows all the gory details

Craig
7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuT_63Ioig

used trailers [email protected] Soaring 9 July 29th 17 06:11 AM
open trailers [email protected] Soaring 1 December 5th 06 05:41 PM
F/S: Pik-20 and PW-5 trailers DB Soaring 0 August 9th 05 02:44 PM
Trailers Don Johnstone Soaring 2 July 13th 05 09:30 PM
Pic trailers culverflyer Soaring 1 May 5th 04 01:37 AM