Removing 2-33A wheel

Old June 27th 09, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

Default Removing 2-33A wheel

Hey guys,
Save me some grief. I am performing my first 100 hour on our club
2-33A. To save time I am asking the steps to removing the 2-33A main
wheel for bearing repack. The obvious items are remove brake cable
and main axle bolt. Do you also have to remove the bracket that
stabalizes the brake? What ways are you using to get the glider high
enough off the ground to easily remove the wheel, etc..

Thanking you in advance,
Lane
Old June 27th 09, 05:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

remove the back seat.. it is easier to reach the brake cable to the spoiler
control.
Careful with the bolts to the seat back, one of them anchors a support to
the controls.

raise the skid with a floor jack and place an 8x8 block under the skid.
Get 2-3 people to raise the tail and put a saw horse under it.
Also, there is the cable to the brake, but there is a lever arm bolted to
the frame to fight the torque rotation when the brake is applied. Remove
that bolt so the lever arm you ask about goes with the wheel and brake
housing.
With ours, the axle bolt is a welded nut or head on one side, some holds
that with a wrench while removing the cotter key from the other side. Pull
the bolt out and remember the order of any spacers or washers.

When the wheel drops down it will not clear. Now, those same people will
need to lift the tail again high enough to allow you to tip the wheel and
get it out of the wheel well. Remember when you put it all back together to
feed the brake cable and lever arm back in first.

Hope that helps.
BT
LVVSA

Old June 27th 09, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

Thanks, that's the info I needed.

LB

Removing RTV John Home Built 6 October 31st 06 10:07 PM
Removing Decals [email protected] Home Built 85 September 9th 05 11:58 PM
Removing Fabric Michael Horowitz Home Built 3 August 15th 05 11:25 AM
Removing decals [email protected] Owning 8 August 10th 05 03:55 AM
Wheel pants for 6.00 x 6 wheel/tire Wallace Berry Home Built 2 January 23rd 04 04:22 AM