Old Contest Letters

Old December 19th 03, 02:58 AM
Mhudson126

Default Old Contest Letters

I know this has been visited before, but it did not concern me, as I had no
glass airplane to adhere a set of letters too. As it stands, I am trying to
remove some painted on contest letters from both the wing and tail. I know
Acetone does the trick...But any suggested methods to apply it would be
appriciated!
-Mitch
Old December 19th 03, 06:06 AM
BTIZ

Mitch... if you are flying a 1-26.. the contest number is the serial
number...

what glass bird did you get?

BT

Old December 19th 03, 03:24 PM
JJ Sinclair

Hi Mitch,
In removing old painted numbers, I first try to get the surface level (wing
up-side-down and fuselage horizontal) Then lightly sand the old numbers with
220 (this will help the acetone to penetrate) Then saturate a shop rag with
lots of acetone and place it over the numpers (wear rubber gloves) After about
5 minutes, start scrubbing. This only works with numbers painted over gelgoat,
don't try it if the ship is also painted with something other than gelcoat.
Keep er-sanding with 220, as necessary. After all is gone, sand the whole area
with 600 wet and mask and paint your new numbers, then wet sand and buff out
with buffing compound and a wool pad OR use *stick-on* numbers this time.
JJ Sinclair
Old December 19th 03, 08:38 PM
Mark Wright

At 15:36 19 December 2003, Jj Sinclair wrote:
OR use *stick-on* numbers this time.

Don't stick them on the wings! They really F**K the
performance up . Trust me, Been there , Done that.

Old December 19th 03, 08:46 PM
Marc Ramsey

Mark Wright wrote:
Don't stick them on the wings! They really F**K the
performance up . Trust me, Been there , Done that.

How did you determine this?
Old December 20th 03, 12:17 AM
BTIZ

must have come off in flight? or at least lifted a leading edge..

not stuck on right?

BT

"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
. ..

Old December 20th 03, 02:17 AM
Tim Ward

Mark Wright wrote:
Don't stick them on the wings! They really F**K the
performance up . Trust me, Been there , Done that.

How did you determine this?

You might want to take a look at:
http://www.ssa.org/Johnson/90-1998-05.pdf

It's about an SZD-55, but there's a discussion in it on the effects of vinyl
contest numbers.

Tim Ward

Old December 23rd 03, 05:01 PM
Simon Waddell

I'm having mylar seals fitted to my glider over winter. I elected to have
them stuck on the wing rather than rebated into it (partly for cost, partly
because you can't undo a rebate) and they are thicker than vinyl letters,
but set much further back.

Anybody got any experience on the impact of mylar seals on wing performance
and whether it's important to rebate them. Is it more important for the
upper surface rather than the lower?