2017 R4S @ New Castle Va

Old September 26th 17, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Default 2017 R4S @ New Castle Va

Yinz missed a good one.

A total of 25 pilots few 160 flights over 8 days (6 contest and 2 practice days) for a total of 15,397 x-c miles. The longest flight was 165 miles and the fastest was at a speed of 68 mph (over 147 miles) by Karl Striedieck. No junk was made and there were a total of two off field landings.

This just reconfirms the status of NCI as a premier mountain racing site not only for the conditions and environs (being held during the fall raptor / monarch butterfly migration) but also for the outstanding social scene created through the efforts and hospitality of the club members.

A HUGE wad of thanks to all the club volunteers that donated their time and help to make this event possible once again.

QT
Old September 26th 17, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 2:59:28 PM UTC-6, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
Yinz missed a good one.

A total of 25 pilots few 160 flights over 8 days (6 contest and 2 practice days) for a total of 15,397 x-c miles. The longest flight was 165 miles and the fastest was at a speed of 68 mph (over 147 miles) by Karl Striedieck.. No junk was made and there were a total of two off field landings.

This just reconfirms the status of NCI as a premier mountain racing site not only for the conditions and environs (being held during the fall raptor / monarch butterfly migration) but also for the outstanding social scene created through the efforts and hospitality of the club members.

A HUGE wad of thanks to all the club volunteers that donated their time and help to make this event possible once again.

QT

John, QT, we should also add our "Kudo's" to you and your wife for scoring numerous contest year after year, including remote scoring. Also, the time you have given for being CD and especially all your work for the Juniors most don't realize you have done.
Yes, as your not alone, your efforts are well noted through out the soaring community.

Best. Tom #711.
Old September 26th 17, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 5:11:06 PM UTC-4, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:
[...]

I second that emotion!
UH
Old September 26th 17, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Seaborn (A8)

And a third. QT has done and is doing much of the heavy lifting behind the curtain that makes our sport go. Bravo John
A8

Old September 27th 17, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm proud to say R4South at BRSS in New Castle, VA, was my first contest (flown solo). I picked one that had the most difficult reputation on purpose but what I found was the tasking was appropriate even for beginners. I hope to bring a cadre of glider folks next year to try R4South for their first time and experience everything it has to offer too.

For beginners and flat-landers... don't be discouraged or persuaded to fly elsewhere. If you leave yourself good safety margins and exercise prudence you can explore the area and build-up your experience flying among the ridges of VA. You will surely leave a better pilot!

The hospitality here is 2nd to none. The scenery is even better! Even your non-flying spouse will enjoy this place if he/she likes the outdoors. The contest volunteers are incredible. Pilots and crew may place their Breakfast orders on the flight-line and later on have a made-to-order sandwich for lunch around grid time. Dinner starts with hors d'oeuvre at 6:30 and consists of their famous low-country boil, chicken dinner, Italian night, BBQ pig roast, etc. Of course, the bonfire never goes out and runs all week long. Be sure to bring a bottle or two of wine for the week and enjoy stargazing and camaraderie at its best.

Words can't express how much fun I had last week. For those who've never been, you don't know what you're missing but let me tell you once you come you'll always want to be back here in September for R4S.

- Chris Schrader (B2G flying "CN")