Vertical stabilizer wont come out (Asw-19)

Old May 26th 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Vertical stabilizer wont come out (Asw-19)

On May 26, 10:44*am, wrote:
- We've wrapped a wire behind the vertical bar that carries the attach
pins and two other friends were pulling forward on the sides of the
stab; I, in return, was pounding *with a hammer on the locking hex
screw that normally locks down the stab. The stab had not even moved a
millimeter... According to a Schleicher Engineer we can knock one of
the pin out, from inside, if we remove the rudder... Maybe the
electrical wire freeze will work, although from Physics it should
shrink the subjected metal and heating should expand it.

Thanks

Gregg- Hide quoted text -

Maybe I'm over conservative but I would never pound on that bolt with
a hammer. I'd also be very careful about using any significant force
on the end of the exposed pin. If that one moves and the other is
stuck you will just make it bind up tighter.

If it went together and it has not been together long enough to
corrode it should come apart. Gettting the alignment just right to
find the sweet spot will be the key. Brute force is very unlikely to
help.

Good luck

Andy
Old June 3rd 09, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

It's been a week or so, has there been any resolution on this
situation?

Thanks, Bob K.
Old June 4th 09, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 3, 2:15*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
It's been a week or so, has there been any resolution on this
situation?

Thanks, Bob K.

Hi,
It was removed by first removing the rudder, stripping off the
elevator control seal and then knocking the upper pin from the
back...

Thanks,

Gregg
Old June 4th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Jun 3, 4:35*pm, wrote:

Hi,
* It was removed by first removing the rudder, stripping off the
elevator control seal and then knocking the upper pin from the
back...

That sounds troublesome, but I'm glad you didn't have to do any major
trauma to the aircraft. I hope you can clean things up so it works
more smoothly in the future.

Thanks, Bob K.