What are the SZD55 equivilents

Old December 29th 03, 09:53 AM
goneill

Default What are the SZD55 equivilents

I saw a SZD55 advertised and want to know what does it compare to .
I looked at the index of types and it seems Discus1 or slightly better
but sink rate seems a little high.
Some opinions from those who have flown one.
I am actively looking for a glider for myself and trying to fill in my
knowledge of some types I have never seen.
Cockpit size is an issue as I am big guy.
gary

Old December 29th 03, 10:36 AM
Janusz Kesik

The Discus 1 is the closest counterpart I think.
If talking about the cockpit, I know at least two guys who are 190cm and =
like the SZD-55.
Generally the opinions I have heard are very positive, as well as mine =
feelings, but not as a pilot of one.
You may look at flight test evaliation done by Dick Johnson, available =
as a PDF file at the SSA website [www.ssa.org]

If You need any more information, I can try to put You in touch with =
local owners.

Regards,

--=20
Janusz Kesik

visit
www.leszno.pl - home of the www.css-leszno.it.pl

Old December 31st 03, 02:14 AM
Bob Kibby

My SZD-59 Acro has a bigger cockpit than an the SZD-55. My SZD-59 Acro is
also for sale. I am 6'5"' and weigh 210 lbs. Have flown my 300 km and 500 km
diamonds in this ship. Send me an e-mail for particulars.

Bob Kibby
old "59A" new "2BK:"

This mailbox protected from junk email by Matador

Old December 31st 03, 08:57 AM
Chris Rollings

I have flown several hundred hours in both the SZD
55 and the Discus b, and won UK Nationals in both types.
I chose to fly an SZD 55 in the 1993 Worlds, when
I could have taken a Discus. The 55 is a slightly
better performer, at low (thermaling) speeds, than
an unwingletted Discus b, about the same as one with
winglets. At mid-range speeds (50 - 80 knots), there
is really nothing in it. As the speed rises above
80 knots (assuming more or less equal wing-loading)
the 55 progressively gains, by 110 knots it's much
better.

I'm 6'3'' and about 180 lbs and I had room to spare.

However the 55 has several drawbacks, they a
1. A very sharp spin departure, with very little stall
warning; the Poles actually required an artificial
stall warning ASI to be fitted (the only time I've
ever encountered that on a glider).
2. A strong tendancy to drop a wing during the early
part ofthe ground roll on take off. This can largely
be countered by starting the gound roll with airbrakes
open, and closing them once positive aileron control
is achieved - but it's still an undesirable charactoristic.

3. Lateral stability is poor, it takes more work than
most types to maintain an angle of bank in a thermal.

4. The very thin skin makes it more prone than most
types to hangar/trailer damage.

All in all a better performer than the Discus (not
quite as good as the LS 8) but probably not the glider
for a low hours pilots.

Hope that helps.

Old January 2nd 04, 09:36 AM
Nick Gilbert

anyone wanting to know how a '55 can go with the right pilot should have a
look at the day 3 and aggregrate results for the australian nationals:

www.tjsailplanes.com/scores/

Nick.

Old January 2nd 04, 12:53 PM
tango4

"Nick Gilbert" wrote in message
anyone wanting to know how a '55 can go with the right pilot should have a
look at the day 3 and aggregrate results for the australian nationals:

www.tjsailplanes.com/scores/

Nick.

Except that the scoresheets don't say what type each pilot is flying!