MEA oddity near Harrisburg, PA?

Old May 13th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default MEA oddity near Harrisburg, PA?

In a previous article, Sam Spade said:
Those in the NE are because of VOR stations that are shooting craps and
fail flight inspection below those very high altitudes.

Like when they built the new fire station on KROC to the west of the VOR,
and suddenly the MEAs on the airways to the west went up to 6,000 feet
when there isn't any terrain or towers above 1,500.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sb20293A2058554E494Csnlbxq'|dc
Old May 15th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Scott Skylane wrote:

You wanna see something really wild? Go to
http://idisk.mac.com/scottdb-Public

Wish I could, but you don't like my browser.

and look at the "HiMEA" file. Right in the middle, the transitional MEA
for V462 is listed as 88000 between FAGIN and NONDA. This obviously
should be 8800, but I don't think it is just a typo on Jepp's part. When
our company's flight planning software generates a low altitude route
through this area, it actually bypasses that one segment, since our
planes can't climb that high. Makes me think that the data is bad from
the FAA.

That's the Alaska airway V462, not the Federal airway V462, right?

The ATA-100 AWY file effective June 08, 2006 shows a MOCA of 12200 and an MEA of
14000 between FAGIN and NONDA.
Old May 15th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Sorry about that, try http://homepage.mac.com/scottdb/FileSharing7.html

That's the Alaska airway V462, not the Federal airway V462, right?

The ATA-100 AWY file effective June 08, 2006 shows a MOCA of 12200 and
an MEA of 14000 between FAGIN and NONDA.

That's the one. It appears that the MOCA on that segment should be
8800, as the co-located T223 route has a MOCA of 8200.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old May 16th 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Scott Skylane wrote:

That's the one. It appears that the MOCA on that segment should be
8800, as the co-located T223 route has a MOCA of 8200.

Reformatted from AWY.txt for compactness. Each MEA/MOCA/MAA applies to the
segment from the fix named on that line of text to the fix named on the
following line. I hope the formatting isn't lost in the mail.

airway name: V462 type: ALASKA
ARTCC: (ZAN) Anchorage
MEA 5000 MOCA 4300
NDB EHM CAPE NEWENHAM MEA 5000
REPORTING POINT ROGOC MEA 5000
REPORTING POINT DUYEG MEA 5000
REPORTING POINT PEDUJ MEA 3000 MOCA 2500
VOR/DME DLG DILLINGHAM MEA 3000
REPORTING POINT OCDIJ MEA 3000
REPORTING POINT UVHAL MEA 5000 MOCA 3800
REPORTING POINT KOWOK MEA 14000 MOCA 8800
REPORTING POINT SAHOK MEA 14000
REPORTING POINT SPAKE MEA 14000
REPORTING POINT FAGIN MEA 14000 MOCA 12200
REPORTING POINT NONDA MEA 14000
REPORTING POINT NEARR MEA 3000 MOCA 2500
REPORTING POINT BLUGA MEA 3000
REPORTING POINT AMOTT MEA 3000
REPORTING POINT GASTO MEA 3000
VOR/DME ANC ANCHORAGE
-------
airway name: T223 type: ALASKA
ARTCC: (ZAN) Anchorage
MEA 5000 MAA 17500
NDB EHM CAPE NEWENHAM MEA 5000 MAA 17500
VOR/DME DLG DILLINGHAM MEA 9000 MOCA 8200 MAA 17500
REPORTING POINT FAGIN MEA 12000 MOCA 11500 MAA 17500
REPORTING POINT NONDA MEA 2000 MCA 8500 SW BND MOCA 1400 MAA 17500
REPORTING POINT BLUGA MEA 2000
VOR/DME ANC ANCHORAGE
Old May 16th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article .com, Mike Granby wrote:

There is a ridge that might block
reception on the south edge of the airway, so perhaps that's the issue
given how close the VOR is to start of the ridge...

That must be it. Thanks for all the replies.

Morris