Control cables for gliders

Old December 29th 03, 06:42 PM
mike maskell

Default Control cables for gliders

I am doing an inspection of a Krosno, and have found that the forward rudder
cables, where they go through the "S" tube to be frayed (several). I would
like to replace them, but cannot find a North American equivalent ( I am in
Canada).

Has anyone a source for the cables, the eye-ends, and the left and right
hand threaded ends that mate to the turn-barrels.

Thanks

Mike

Old December 29th 03, 09:39 PM
Janusz Kesik

Go to http://www.peregrinesailplane.com/ or http://www.barryaviation.com
They manufacture KR-03 Puchatek, or Krosno whichever name You like, =
however it's now known as "Peregrine"

Regards,

--=20
Janusz Kesik

visit
www.leszno.pl - home of the www.css-leszno.it.pl

Old December 29th 03, 10:44 PM
James

I do not know where to get them, but I wanted to post the following
safety issue about rudder pedal "S" tubes:

Years ago as a student pilot, I observed a solo Grob 103 driver sit in
the cockpit and check for free movement of the control surfaces during
his preflight inspection. Wanting to learn as much as possible, I
watched standing at the rear of the glider as the rudder swung from
the right and then to the left. It seemed odd to me that the rudder
had stayed to the left after he checked his controls. I told him
about the rudder before he moved into take off position. When he
opened the canopy I looked down at the rudder pedals and didn't notice
anything until I reached around and behind one of the "S" tubes and
nearly cut my finger on a sharp edge. Apparently, the rudder cable
sawed through one of the bends in the "S" tube and wedged itself in a
"V" shaped groove it cut. The lesson I learned was not to rely upon
visually inspecting the rudder pedals but also feel behind them. This
is less of an issue on gliders where there is a plastic tube inserted
in the "S" tube around the rudder cable.

Old December 31st 03, 11:32 AM
John Giddy

I would expect standard aircraft control cable of 1/8 inch
diameter would fit. The crimp sleeves ("Nicopress sleeves")
and the tools for fitting them should be available at most
aircraft supply houses, such as "Aircraft Spruce" (see URL
www.aircraftspruce.com ) Normal control cables use 7 x 19
cable to MIL.W-83420 and Nicopress sleeves Part No 18-3-M.
Aircraft Spruce also has the spare parts for the
turnbuckles, but I would recommend replacing the whole thing
if the screwed ends show significant wear, as the threads in
the barrel will also be worn.
You can purchase on the internet from Aircraft Spruce, and
their delivery is excellent, even all the way to Australia
!!
You can also request a paper catalogue from them. It is
often easier to browse for what you want than to try to
search the on-line catalogue.
I have no connection with them, other than as a satisfied
customer.
Cheers, John G.

Old December 31st 03, 03:20 PM
Libelle Driver

The Libelles have the same "S" tube adjustment device on their rudder
cables. Because of the wear in adjusting them, they have an AD, a
maintenance requirement, that requires they be inspected and replaced at a
specific time limit. Mine have never shown bad wear, but still get
replaced. On the Libelles, the cables only go to a mechanism behind the
pilot seat, then a long tube transfers the motion back to the rudder in the
tail.

Fred

Old December 31st 03, 04:10 PM
Nolaminar

Several years ago, my old 301 was in for "Annual". The IA asked the hours in
the logbook. I said" It was just over 500". He said, "Damn,we will have to
replace the cables since it is written in the book".
So, we pulled them out and they were very bad and would have been a safety
issue for sure.
GA
Old December 31st 03, 05:09 PM
mike maskell

I thank everyone for the great advice on replacing cables and such. However
my problem lies, not in obtaining the cable, (I can get 1/8" 7x19 cable
locally), but in finding the proper size turn-barrell ends (threaded to go
into the brass adjuster), and the eye-end to attach to structure forward of
the rudder pedals. By measuring the size and thread pitch, they appear to
be different size than what would be considered normal (as in an MS or AN
standard).

The threaded ends and the eye-ends would be swaged onto the cable with a
special tool, and using a Nico-press tool would not work.

So, back to my original question......does anyone know of a source for these
"European" style threaded ends or eye-ends.

Our flying season in still 3 months away so plenty of time to source them
out, but I need help.

Thanks

Mike

Old December 31st 03, 08:02 PM
Libelle Driver

I need to correct my original post. The AD required replacing the original
cables, then inspections every 100 hours of time in service and replacement
as needed.

Old January 1st 04, 03:47 AM
John Giddy

| I thank everyone for the great advice on replacing cables
and such. However
| my problem lies, not in obtaining the cable, (I can get
1/8" 7x19 cable
| locally), but in finding the proper size turn-barrell ends
(threaded to go
| into the brass adjuster), and the eye-end to attach to
structure forward of
| the rudder pedals. By measuring the size and thread
pitch, they appear to
| be different size than what would be considered normal (as
in an MS or AN
| standard).
|
| The threaded ends and the eye-ends would be swaged onto
the cable with a
| special tool, and using a Nico-press tool would not work.
|
| So, back to my original question......does anyone know of
a source for these
| "European" style threaded ends or eye-ends.
|
| Our flying season in still 3 months away so plenty of time
to source them
| out, but I need help.

Is there room to replace the swaged-on ends with normal eyes
where the cable is attached by threading through the eye,
using a thimble to avoid abrasion of the cable by the eye,
and a Nicopress sleeve to complete the attachment ? In this
case, also see the Aircraft Spruce catalogue for complete
turnbuckle assemblies with a variety of ends.
Alternatively, they also have swageable screwed ends, but
they would probably fit AN or similar barrels only.
Cheers, John G.