X-C from NC to FL over Atlantic ?

Old July 7th 05, 07:58 PM
Maule Driver

I'd do V1 too but I have to admit to chickening out and flying a cheater
route VFR that stays within 5 miles. Probably doesn't add 5 miles if that.

Michelle P wrote:
I fly V1 CHS to CRG regularly in an Single engine aircraft. I do fly
high. 10K or higher. V1 has a dog leg at Savannah (tybee intersection if
I recall correctly). No more than 10 NM off shore. Quite reachable from
10K.
Michelle

Old July 7th 05, 08:16 PM
Bob Gardner

Can't speak from experience, but in your shoes I would (1) take the twin,
and (2) equip the airplane the same way my Skylane-owning friend equips his
when flying the Greenland route to Europe: Life raft, exposure suit, all
manner of signaling devices and handhelds.

Bob Gardner

"John Doe" wrote in message
ink.net...
Anyone flown X-C down the east coast way out over the Atlantic?

I'm new to the east coast and I'm interested in flying from NC to Florida.
The direct route would take me a good ways out over the Atlantic. I'm not
concerned about flying over way, just curious as to what issues I'm about
to encounter with ATC.

I'd like to file either VFR or IFR depending on the weather and proceed as
direct as I can for fuel. Is ATC going to give me any hassle?

Thanks.

Old July 7th 05, 08:16 PM
xyzzy

jsmith wrote:

I have flown SSI to PBI.
ATC will try to get you to fly offshore if you file the shoreline route.
With each frequency change, I was given an amended clearance which I
declined. The comments section of my flight plan contained the notice
"NO OVERWATER ROUTING ACCEPTED, NO FLOATATION GEAR ON BOARD".
ATC does not get this information from FSS unless they request it.
ATC personel are not pilots and do not understand that light GA aircraft
cannot glide from offshore routes to the beach.
Do not accept an offshore amended clearance.

In an instrument groundschool I took the instructor told a war story of
flying a 172 IFR up the NE coast and ATC tried to route him way out
over the water. He declined that route, no flotation on board, etc. and
ATC said OK, we'll give you vectors to keep you over land and away from
traffic. A while later while flying the vectors he came to a hole in
the clouds and realized they had vectored him well over the water, like
out of sight of land (this was before the days of GPS, etc).

Old July 7th 05, 08:42 PM
Mark Hansen

On 7/7/2005 12:16, xyzzy wrote:

jsmith wrote:

[...]

Wow, must have been before the days of positional awareness as well ;-\

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Student
Sacramento, CA
Old July 7th 05, 10:19 PM
Michael

I'd like to file either VFR or IFR depending on the weather and proceed as
direct as I can for fuel. Is ATC going to give me any hassle?

My experience is flying overwater in the Gulf of Mexico, so may not
apply. However my experience is that direct routings IFR overwater are
generally not available at low altitudes. You will be put on an airway
routing. If there is a convenient airway, great - if not, you may not
save much by going overwater.

VFR, you can pretty much do what you want - legally. If you penetrate
the ADIZ, you will need a DVFR flight plan. My experience with these
is that if the various warning areas (which are, of course, not
regulatory) are hot (and many are hot all the time) FSS and ATC will do
everything they can to keep you from going through them. One refused
to let me file a DVFR flight plan because VFR was not recommended (it
was clear all the way).

You can fight it out, of course, but you won't save any time (once you
consider how long it will take you to fight it out) over accepting the
airways routing.

Michael

Old July 7th 05, 11:25 PM
jsmith

xyzzy wrote:
In an instrument groundschool I took the instructor told a war story of
flying a 172 IFR up the NE coast and ATC tried to route him way out
over the water. He declined that route, no flotation on board, etc. and
ATC said OK, we'll give you vectors to keep you over land and away from
traffic. A while later while flying the vectors he came to a hole in
the clouds and realized they had vectored him well over the water, like
out of sight of land (this was before the days of GPS, etc).

When I wouldn't accept the victor airway/waypoint routing, they tried to
get me to fly the magnetic heading for the same features. I continued
to fly the route I had filed and acknowledged the assigned heading each
time they asked. Strong crosswinds that day.

Old July 8th 05, 11:20 PM
Ed H

I flew Tampa to Fayetteville direct on an IFR flight with a friend who is a
CFI. The route took us about 20 nm offshore near Brunswick and Savannah.
No big deal with ATC. We were in a Bonanza.

One thing to keep in mind when assessing the risks: much of the Georgia
coastline would be highly unsuitable for an emergency landing. It's all
swamp and river inlets. So gliding to the coast won't be enough. In some
areas you'd need to glide another 5 or 10 miles inland. We were both strong
swimmers, so we figured we'd glide close to shore and then ditch it.

I've also followed the coast VFR and it was a bit annoying. Several very
active restricted areas and MOAs. Going offshore is easier from a routing
perspective.

Old July 9th 05, 04:22 PM
John Doe

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
m...
I assume you are referring to V3. V3 is 5 miles max from the shoreline
between SSI and PBI. from 7 or 8k up, that is a 5:1 glide. I fly that
route in my Maule if winds are acceptable.

I think the original poster may have been thinking V437. I don't do that
one.

Actually I was thinking more direct from RDU to TIX which takes you well
east of V437.

Old July 9th 05, 04:35 PM
John Doe

"Ed H" wrote in message
I flew Tampa to Fayetteville direct on an IFR flight with a friend who is a
CFI. The route took us about 20 nm offshore near Brunswick and Savannah.
No big deal with ATC. We were in a Bonanza.

One thing to keep in mind when assessing the risks: much of the Georgia
coastline would be highly unsuitable for an emergency landing. It's all
swamp and river inlets. So gliding to the coast won't be enough. In some
areas you'd need to glide another 5 or 10 miles inland. We were both
strong swimmers, so we figured we'd glide close to shore and then ditch
it.

I've also followed the coast VFR and it was a bit annoying. Several very
active restricted areas and MOAs. Going offshore is easier from a routing
perspective.

Thanks. I think I found the answer to my question. Obviously IFR or DVFR
flight plan.

My next trip will probably be to the Bahamas so I'm starting to research
international flights as well.

Old July 9th 05, 05:21 PM
Paul Lynch

You can legally do that VFR, but probably not IFR. It looks like you would
be passing through several Warning areas and possibly some restricted areas.
If the warning areas are cold, and they have been turned back over to
center, they will let you transit IFR. The areas are usually hot except
late at night and weekends, depending on military activity. Those warning
areas can be particularly busy during military exercises and are frequently
used for live fire of guns and missiles.

If you go VFR, make sure you file the appropriate flight plans or you might
find a fighter escort that was scrabled to figure out who you were. You can
be billed for the fighters' flight time if you have not followed the rules
on ADIZ penetrations.

Paul

ink.net...