Can I fly it at night?

Old January 4th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Can I fly it at night?

I have a 1941 Chief with lights on it. There's one light on
each wingtip and one on the top of the fin. There's no
anticollision light/strobe or landing light. There are
wires from the 3 position lights to the cockpit, where they
end. The engine has no alternator or generator and never
has had one. There's no battery, battery compartment,
starter or electrical system. I do have a portable sealed
lead acid battery that I charge between flights to power a
radio and intercom.

There's nothing in the paperwork about "day VFR only" and
there's no AFM or even any POH.

I've looked at 91.209 and 91.205 (c). I've got position
lights, I won't be operating for hire, so I suppose a
landing light is not legally required. I suppose a larger
battery would be an adequate source of electrical energy for
short flights. Can I fly at night if I install an
anticollision light? Anyone want to comment on what I need
to legally fly at night for short local flights? Does
anyone think the disconnected lights have made the aircraft
legally unairworthy for the last 65 years? Does anyone know
how these were originally powered (Dry cells?)

Thanks for any information.
Old January 4th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

On 4 Jan 2006 09:06:03 -0600, bstanton null.com wrote in
::

I have a 1941 Chief with lights on it. [...] Does anyone know
how these were originally powered (Dry cells?)

Thanks for any information.

The information should be in the aircraft's Type Certificate. You
should be able to find it he
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...e?OpenFrameSet
Old January 4th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

I read it as you must have the anticollision light. We had to install
it on the Cessna 140 for this reason too. I think the only difference
is that you have more choice in color because of your age. I don't see
anything here that counters the statement "An approved aviation red or
aviation white anticollision light system".

91.205.(c)
(3) An approved aviation red or aviation white anticollision light
system^M
on all U.S.-registered civil aircraft. Anticollision light systems
initially^M
installed after August 11, 1971, on aircraft for which a type
certificate^M
was^M
issued or applied for before August 11, 1971, must at least meet
the^M
anticollision light standards of part 23, 25, 27, or 29 of this
chapter, as^M
applicable, that were in effect on August 10, 1971, except that the
color^M
may^M
be either aviation red or aviation white. In the event of failure of
any^M
light of the anticollision light system, operations with the aircraft
may be^M
continued to a stop where repairs or replacement can be made.^M

Old January 4th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

In this case the type certificate doesn't make a difference. The FAA
current FARs seem to require a strobe for night flying. Its not like
college catalog rights, FAA FARs don't grant historic rights.

-Robert

Old January 4th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

I am very interested in the response to this question as well.
My clipper came with a full electrical system, nav lights and a panel light,
but no anti-collision.
The rules for anti-collision coverage don't go back as old as my plane, yet
I do not see any "grandfather" clause in the FARs.
I know there are rules that are not articulated in the FARs sometimes (like
shoulder harness rules).

Does anyone here know the whole story?

Mike

Old January 4th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

See an aircraft mechanic who will ...
install a legal anti-collision light (LED strobe uses the
least power)
fabricate a proper battery box for a battery,
perhaps install a voltmeter,
fabricate an electrical bus, circuit breaker and switch,
perhaps an external power connection for charging,
do the weight and balance and update the paperwork and
aircraft logs.

The airplane may have had an external wind-driven generator
originally, you could restore that with a modern alternator
at the cost of a 1 or 2 mph.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old January 4th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Is there room in a Chief to put an alternator? When I had my Chief we
thought about this for a minute and decided it was way too much work. I
did look at a Champ that had the wind generator thing but it seemed
that it put out very limited power. When you only have a few hundred
pounds of useful load adding a battery can seem overwhelming.

-Robert

Old January 4th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

[...]

This doesn't seem to be worth the trouble for only short flights. Let's say
you are able to install the required lighting and operate it with only a
battery. Are you going to be content to make only short flights at night,
or are you going to wish you could fly a bit further? Longer flights would
require a complete engine-driven electrical system, which is probably out of
the question. If you want to fly at night sell the Chief and buy an
airplane with an electrical system.

Old January 4th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

I read it as you must have the anticollision light.

That's how I read it too.

Old January 4th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

This doesn't seem to be worth the trouble for only short flights. Let's say
you are able to install the required lighting and operate it with only a
battery. Are you going to be content to make only short flights at night,
or are you going to wish you could fly a bit further?

I think the answer is yes, I'd be OK with short flights.
Here's my thinking:

1) I could keep night currency. That way I could just rent
a plane with lights and an electrical system for longer
night flights with less hassle and less expense getting
current. Right now, if I want to rent a plane and return at
night it's a royal pain to get night current before the
flight I want to make, and half the time the planned
night-return flight gets canceled anyway.

2) I could still do the quick flight up and around the
pattern with a friend who wanted to just see what it looked
like at night.

3) I would have a bit more flexibility with return flights.
I've occasionally found more headwind than expected and
worried about making it home before night.

4) It would be nice to make myself a bit more more visible
in the pattern at the end of a flight.

It appears a wind driven generator was probably originally
used for the lights - are they still available?

FAA PPL night flight requirement - does it have to be DUAL? Peter Clark Piloting 21 January 6th 05 12:38 AM
Night solo XC? G. Burkhart Piloting 51 October 14th 04 03:11 PM
Night of the bombers - the most daring special mission of Finnishbombers in WW2 Jukka O. Kauppinen Military Aviation 4 March 22nd 04 11:19 PM