The Idiot without the NOTAM

Old August 2nd 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Default The Idiot without the NOTAM

Jose wrote:

They could always delay him in the taxi route.

Not without delaying everyone behind him.

They could park him in the wrong spot.

Nah, the pilot in question had a "a...ee...uh...er...arrival
....er...a...parking area there reserved."

--
Peter
Old August 2nd 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Jose" wrote in message
.. .

They could talk to those who do.

They have enough to do.

Old August 2nd 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Adams[_2_]

"Lakeview Bill" wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/lu6uu

Wow! That's incredible! I couldn't figure out what this long thread was about until I just listened to it. It's
so bad, it almost sounds like satire - someone making a recording trying to sound as bad as possible.
That is just awful, and totally embarrassing - it makes all genav look bad.

Mike
Old August 2nd 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

They could park him in the wrong spot.

They did direct him to Basler's, didn't they?
Old August 2nd 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

I couldn't agree with you more Viperdoc. This is probably the same guy
that is used to pulling more strings than an orchestra to get his way.
A line from an article in the latest AOPA Pilot stood out for me:

"Not every act of stupidity is punished."

The consequence of this very true statement is that the world will
always have guys like these running around. By trying to be "nice" the
controller became just another contributor to the problem.

Marco

Viperdoc wrote:
However, a friendly message could be sent to the owner saying that at this
time and place someone in his plane really acted like a jerk (and send the
link). He could make his own conclusions. Otherwise, as oblivious as he was,
how will he ever know?

[snip]

Old August 2nd 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Marco Leon" wrote:
"Not every act of stupidity is punished."

The consequence of this very true statement is that the world will
always have guys like these running around. By trying to be "nice" the
controller became just another contributor to the problem.

I understand your point and agree, but was the controller just "trying
to be nice" or did he instantly size-up the situation and conclude that
the best thing he could do for everyone else in the sky would be to help
get him out of there as efficiently as possible?
Old August 2nd 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Jose" wrote in message
. ..

They could park him in the wrong spot.

They don't handle parking.

Yes, but they can be in contact with the flagmen with one call. They should
have had them pull up at the "shack" right in front of the tower, and sent
one of the pink shirts down to have a chat with him.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 2nd 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Jose" wrote in message
.. .

They could talk to those who do.

They have enough to do.

I don't think you realize the inner workings of the ATC system at OSH. Have
you ever done the OSH controlling?

They have plenty of people spotting, and on stanby, that making a phone call
would be small potatoes.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 2nd 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_1_]

Viperdoc wrote:

On the other hand he sounded like someone who was used to always having his
own way, and that the "rules" couldn't possibly apply to someone as great as
he thought he was.

I like the way he stated he was having "bad day". Evidently, he forgot
about the other 100's of aircraft the controllers needed to work that day.
Old August 2nd 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al[_1_]

wrote in message
"Marco Leon" wrote:
"Not every act of stupidity is punished."

The consequence of this very true statement is that the world will
always have guys like these running around. By trying to be "nice" the
controller became just another contributor to the problem.

I understand your point and agree, but was the controller just "trying
to be nice" or did he instantly size-up the situation and conclude that
the best thing he could do for everyone else in the sky would be to help
get him out of there as efficiently as possible?

Well the controller started out with:

"Do you have the NOTAM?"
"No."
"Then I suggest you go back to the airport and get it."

He couldn't have been clearer. It was VFR. I would have snuck off quietly,
and returned later, maybe much later.

This link is now being passed around, worldwide. If he doesn't know about it
now, he soon will. If I can find a way to present it, I'll play it at our
next EAA chapter meeting. We all fear "Screwing the Pooch", and the training
value of this transcript is beyond words. How carefully will you plan a
flight in the future, knowing a major screwup could easily be replayed to
everyone you know and most you don't. This fellow could easily become the
poster child for "Head up and Locked". In the long run, his actions may
actually save lives.

There have to be other aircraft that end in 53A. I would not be surprised to
hear someone call "53A, downwind for landing, and I'm not "HIM""

I feel no need to attempt to characterize this fellow, as that would only be
speculation, but if I were him, I would seriously be looking at changing my
N number.

I too was waiting to hear "My dog ate my sectional".

I can just see the grocery clerk saying "Aren't you the guy that..."

There were probably dozens(maybe hundreds) of other pilots in line, holding
for hours at 90kts, constantly scanning for traffic, and properly staying
off the frequency until they are spoken to. I commend each and every one of
them.

Al G