The Idiot without the NOTAM

Old August 2nd 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_1_]

Default The Idiot without the NOTAM

Grumman-581 wrote:

Never had my dog eat my sectional, but I've had them blow out of the
cockpit when I had the canopy back...

So that's where that sectional came from I found on the front lawn!
Old August 3rd 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Travis Marlatte

From the clip, it doesn't sound like a lot of other planes were holding or
inbound. The controller didn't interact with a single other plane during the
4 or 5 minute clip. Unless the clip was clipped, talking the guy in was a
courteous thing to do. If there had been others holding or already inbound,
then talking him through it would have been more difficult and more
dangerous.

By the way, I haven't seen anyone else refer to the fact that not only did
he not have the NOTAMs, it didn't seem as if he had even read them
thoroughly - much less study them. He also didn't have sectionals. All he
had was enroute charts. I don't buy his line that he left them at the
airport. Sounds like a guy used to IFR flight plans for every flight and
just decided to drop in on OSH.

--
-------------------------------
Travis

wrote in message
"Marco Leon" wrote:
"Not every act of stupidity is punished."

The consequence of this very true statement is that the world will
always have guys like these running around. By trying to be "nice" the
controller became just another contributor to the problem.

I understand your point and agree, but was the controller just "trying
to be nice" or did he instantly size-up the situation and conclude that
the best thing he could do for everyone else in the sky would be to help
get him out of there as efficiently as possible?

Old August 3rd 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Travis Marlatte wrote:

Unless the clip was clipped, talking the guy in was a
courteous thing to do. If there had been others holding or already inbound,
then talking him through it would have been more difficult and more
dangerous.

The clip was edited down to just the interaction between the pilot and
controller. On the raw feed, you would have heard moderate activity with
numerous other aircraft on the frequency during that period.

--
Peter
Old August 3rd 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
m...
Al wrote:

"Do you have the NOTAM?"
"No."
"Then I suggest you go back to the airport and get it."

He could have gone to ANY airport that I've ever seen and printed the
NOTAM from DUATS, etc... It's not like he would have had to go all the
way back to PA.

Or he could've radioed FSS and asked them for the text of the NOTAM.

--Gary

Old August 3rd 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
. ..

Or he could've radioed FSS and asked them for the text of the NOTAM.

Maybe. FSS radio traffic tends to be a bit higher during AirVenture.

Old August 3rd 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Or he could've radioed FSS and asked them for the text of the NOTAM.

Maybe. FSS radio traffic tends to be a bit higher during AirVenture.

My experiences with FSS is that they are often (a) hard to contact, (b)
hard to hear, and (c) pressed for time. I can't imagine -- nor would
I want -- them reading a multi-page, single-spaced NOTAM to someone
over the radio, while other pilots are waiting for a weather update.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 3rd 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Or he could've radioed FSS and asked them for the text of the NOTAM.

Maybe. FSS radio traffic tends to be a bit higher during AirVenture.

My experiences with FSS is that they are often (a) hard to contact, (b)
hard to hear, and (c) pressed for time. I can't imagine -- nor would
I want -- them reading a multi-page, single-spaced NOTAM to someone
over the radio, while other pilots are waiting for a weather update.

I agree it's far from ideal. But it's a lot better than having a busy
controller do it.

--Gary

Old August 3rd 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Or he could've radioed FSS and asked them for the text of the NOTAM.

Maybe. FSS radio traffic tends to be a bit higher during AirVenture.

My experiences with FSS is that they are often (a) hard to contact, (b)
hard to hear, and (c) pressed for time. I can't imagine -- nor would
I want -- them reading a multi-page, single-spaced NOTAM to someone
over the radio, while other pilots are waiting for a weather update.

I agree it's far from ideal. But it's a lot better than having a busy
controller do it.

The controller should have done what he first started to do which was send
the guy out of the class D to get the NOTAM.

Old August 3rd 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote

What makes you think that? Do you think you realize the inner workings of
the ATC system at OSH?

Oh, I almost forgot. You already know everything.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 3rd 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"john smith" wrote

I was listening to the OSH feed on LiveATC this past Sunday afternoon.
The C-54 requested to taxi to Baslers. ATC queried as to the reason. The
response, "We just had our chart sucked out the window, so we need to
get another one."

At least he was honest, an went to get another! g
--
Jim in NC