X-country training flight

Old December 9th 04, 03:14 PM
Dave Butler

Roy Smith wrote:
Stan Prevost wrote:

How are you accessing DUATS? Using web access, I can't find any
option for "be prompted for flight plan". And I searched everything
I could find on DUAT and DUATS and can't find the "delay" feature.

We don' need no skinkin' web interface!

Attaboy. If (collective) you must use a web interface, http://www.enflight.com
is the one I prefer. Some nice formatting of the output from duat.

I just telnet in (telnet 131.131.7.102). If you watch carefully,
you'll notice that when you ask for a weather briefing, the CGI script
that's driving the web application does the same thing!

If (collective) you don't like typing in IP addresses, you can "telnet
direct.duats.com".

On the web, if you scroll down on the main page to the "FAA Flight
Plan Filing" section, then click on the "File" button on the right
hand margin, you'll get to a screen that lets you manually enter a
flight plan. I don't know how to get to the explaination/help stuff,
but it does let you enter the same /DH+MM notation.

Old December 9th 04, 03:39 PM
Roy Smith

Dave Butler wrote:
If (collective) you don't like typing in IP addresses, you can "telnet
direct.duats.com".

Strangely enough, the DNS name seems to have changed over the years,
but the IP address has stayed the same. Kind of the reverse of how
it's supposed to work. At one time it was duats.gte-fsd.com, or
something like that.

I don't actually type the IP address; I've got an alias in my .login
file. All I really type is "duats" :-)

Old December 9th 04, 04:33 PM
Stan Prevost

Boy, I haven't used telnet in a decade! More civilized things come along,
you know. :-)

Under WinXP, I can't get it to work. When I enter "telnet 131.131.7.102",
nothing seems to happen, no response. When I enter "telnet
direct.duats.com", I get to the system. It asks for the user code, I enter
it, then I get two lines back, "Enter Password:", and "Invalid Password".
Can't get past that. Three tries, it quits.

Seems odd, though, that they would have help that is very much different
under different access methods.

Old December 9th 04, 04:49 PM
Roy Smith

Stan Prevost wrote:
Boy, I haven't used telnet in a decade! More civilized things come along,
you know. :-)

Under WinXP, I can't get it to work. When I enter "telnet 131.131.7.102",
nothing seems to happen, no response.

Hmmm, yeah, I'm getting that too now, but direct.duats.com works (it
resolves to 131.131.7.106). Very strange.

When I enter "telnet
direct.duats.com", I get to the system. It asks for the user code, I enter
it, then I get two lines back, "Enter Password:", and "Invalid Password".
Can't get past that. Three tries, it quits.

Yeah, that's what happens when you use the telnet client that comes
with windows. It's not negotiating the end-of-line processing
correctly with the telnet server at the other end.

What's going on is when you hit the "Enter" key, it sends "CR NL",
which the machine at the other end (incorrecly) interprets as two line
terminations in a row. Or something very similar is happening
somewhere else in the chain. I have no problem with any telnet client
other than the built-in windows one, so I have to assume it's the
fault of the windows client. It works fine with all the unix telnets
I've tried, and it works fine with the cygwin telnet.

It's amazing that software in service today is demonstrating bugs like
this. It's not like telnet is something new; negotiating EOL
processing was probably figured out 25 years ago. Then again, by 25
years ago, car manufacturers had figured out how to build automatic
carb heat and automatic mixture control, and engines that start
reliably in all kinds of weather :-)
Old December 9th 04, 05:52 PM
Dave Butler

Roy Smith wrote:
Stan Prevost wrote:

Boy, I haven't used telnet in a decade! More civilized things come along,
you know. :-)

Under WinXP, I can't get it to work. When I enter "telnet 131.131.7.102",
nothing seems to happen, no response.

Hmmm, yeah, I'm getting that too now, but direct.duats.com works (it
resolves to 131.131.7.106). Very strange.

When I enter "telnet
direct.duats.com", I get to the system. It asks for the user code, I enter
it, then I get two lines back, "Enter Password:", and "Invalid Password".
Can't get past that. Three tries, it quits.

Yeah, that's what happens when you use the telnet client that comes
with windows. It's not negotiating the end-of-line processing
correctly with the telnet server at the other end.

Exactly.

From my Solaris I get:
telnet direct.duats.com -successful login
telnet 131.131.7.106 -successful login
telnet 131.131.7.102 -Connection closed by foreign host.