evolution

Old January 15th 09, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S6

Default evolution

Hi,
I have a 15 year old electronic vario using pressure transducer.
Electronic has progress a lot
in15 years. Is the same or equivalent vario today using the same
technology very different, better?
Is it worth upgrading?
Thaank you,
S6
Old January 15th 09, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_4_]

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:49:32 -0800, S6 wrote:

Hi,
I have a 15 year old electronic vario using pressure transducer.
Electronic has progress a lot
in15 years. Is the same or equivalent vario today using the same
technology very different, better?
Is it worth upgrading?

What vario is it?

If its still a supported model, its manufacturer might offer an upgrade
which would almost certainly be cheaper than replacing it.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 16th 09, 05:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

S6 wrote:
Hi,
I have a 15 year old electronic vario using pressure transducer.
Electronic has progress a lot
in15 years. Is the same or equivalent vario today using the same
technology very different, better?
Is it worth upgrading?
Thaank you,
S6

No comparison - went from a complicated, temperamental and wildly
inaccurate (State of the art in 1980)version - to a cheap, easy to use
Tasman V1000m two years ago.

Strongly recommended.
Old January 16th 09, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 15, 6:49*pm, S6 wrote:
Hi,
I have a 15 year old electronic vario using *pressure transducer.
Electronic has progress a lot
in15 years. Is the same or equivalent vario today using the same
technology very different, better?
Is it worth upgrading?
Thaank you,
S6

It depends on some info you didn't provide- but---
1) Does it work as it did when you got it?
2) Do you understand it and know how to use it well, If you are well
in tune with what it says, that is
the nost important thing.
3) A good total energy system is more improtant than a fancy vario.
4) Do you need it to communicate with other devices? If so, the old
system likely won't do it.
5) A great vario is no substitute for practice and good skills. The
vario is there to confirm whether the centering
decision you just made with the seat of your pants is a good one.
Good Luck
UH
Old January 17th 09, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S6

On Jan 15, 6:54*pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:49:32 -0800, S6 wrote:
Hi,
I have a 15 year old electronic vario using *pressure transducer.
Electronic has progress a lot
in15 years. Is the same or equivalent vario today using the same
technology very different, better?
Is it worth upgrading?

What vario is it?

If its still a supported model, its manufacturer might offer an upgrade
which would almost certainly be cheaper than replacing it.

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org * * * |

Hi
I have a first generation LX 5000 vario , it is good. Reading Tasman
note about weak lift performance of it's vario maybe I could improve
that part of the flight.
PS Maybe the very long period of sub zero weather here is getting to
me!
S6
with a more recent vario
Old January 17th 09, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

I've flown with LX5000 from very first release up to nearly the latest
version, with each I was amazed how well it functions and how fast and
accurate it was, until I tried the next revision or updated version, then I
was again blown away at the increased speed of computer processing, easier
again to use, improved logger transfer functions from V1 DOS to latest with
USB and SD cards...each update was a big leap forward, even on essentially
the same system, so in a relatively short period, technology has improved,
functions have improved, processors have improved with flight computers and
variometers on a scale similar to modern day PC's.. If you have even the
first versions LX5000 there are updates and improvements all the way up to V
11.0 available for this system, all of which are available to you and well
worth the relative small update costs.
http://www.lxnavigation.si/avionics/support.cfm
tim

Aspen Evolution mbremer216 Owning 0 February 23rd 08 11:38 PM
COMBAT PAIR: THE EVOLUTION OF AIR FORCE-NAVY INTEGRATION IN STRIKEWARFARE. Mike[_7_] Naval Aviation 5 January 6th 08 08:23 AM
Story and evolution of the aviation Ph. Lebrun Restoration 0 July 5th 04 11:32 PM
Composite aircraft evolution David Megginson Owning 3 August 19th 03 05:58 PM